OCCRA
Go to Post "You have not lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." - unknown - rufu5 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2008, 11:04 PM
FRC #2513

TERTOLA will become famous soon enoughTERTOLA will become famous soon enough
Electrical wiring

Hey everyone! This is rookie team 2513, Edison High School, Minneapolis, MN. We have a great team and a few mentors, but we are in need of help!

We need help wiring the power and electrical systems. i.e. we have a battery, wire, terminal connectors, fuses, busses, and all the other stuff included in the KOP!

So if anyone has wiring schematics, or ideas that can get us started or help us power everything and wire it efficiently.

Thanks!

Team TERTOLA!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2008, 11:08 PM
The Blue Alliance
FRC #0604 (Quixilver), FRC #1323 (MadTown Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
Eugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Electrical wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERTOLA View Post
Hey everyone! This is rookie team 2513, Edison High School, Minneapolis, MN. We have a great team and a few mentors, but we are in need of help!

We need help wiring the power and electrical systems. i.e. we have a battery, wire, terminal connectors, fuses, busses, and all the other stuff included in the KOP!

So if anyone has wiring schematics, or ideas that can get us started or help us power everything and wire it efficiently.

Thanks!

Team TERTOLA!

The power distribution diagram can be found here:

http://www.usfirst.org/uploadedFiles...on_Diagram.pdf

Various FLL Teams - Student (2000-2006), Mentor (2007-2010)
FRC Team 604 - Student (2007-2010), Mentor/Remote Advisor (2011-Present)
7 Regional Chairman's Awards, 2 Regional Engineering Inspiration Awards, 2 Regional Wins, 4 Woodie Flowers Finalists, 2 Dean's List Finalists
FRC Team 1323 - Mentor/Remote Advisor (2011-Present)
2 Regional Chairman's Awards, 1 Regional Engineering Inspiration Award, 1 Woodie Flowers Finalist, 2 Dean's List Finalists

The Blue Alliance | TBA GameDay | TBA Android App
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2008, 11:09 PM
Embedded Engineer/EIT/PhD
AKA: Jeffrey Erickson
FRC #2789 (TEXplosion)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
jee7s has a reputation beyond reputejee7s has a reputation beyond reputejee7s has a reputation beyond reputejee7s has a reputation beyond reputejee7s has a reputation beyond reputejee7s has a reputation beyond reputejee7s has a reputation beyond reputejee7s has a reputation beyond reputejee7s has a reputation beyond reputejee7s has a reputation beyond reputejee7s has a reputation beyond repute

FIRST gives you a wiring schematic as part of the manual (or at least on the manual page).

A few tips:

1. Solder everything, don't trust crimping.

2. Heat shrink everything, don't trust electrical tape.

3. Remember current ratings. Odds are you need 4-6ga for distribution to and from the battery, 8-10ga for the high current motors (i.e. CIM motors), and 12-14ga for lower current motors. All these are available at Home Depot-style stores.

4. Consider shielding your sensor wiring.

5. Consider connecting your speed controller fans together, so they run regardless of whether or not you trip a breaker.

6. Don't forget a charging circuit for the RC backup battery.

Just a few thoughts, I'm sure more will come through.

-JEE

EDIT: Regarding my comment about speed controller motor fans...run them on a separate properly fused circuit to keep them running even if you trip a motor breaker. Previous convention has the motor fans attached to the inputs to the speed contollers, which will go dead if your motor pops the breaker. This means heat will not be evacuated during the tripped period.

Last edited by jee7s : 01-15-2008 at 11:12 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2008, 11:12 PM
AKA: Jim
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
MrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond repute

also see the documents available in Section 8

http://www.usfirst.org/community/frc...nt.aspx?id=452

besides the schematic and the suggestions above, and the rules for building the robot, you should read the Guidelines, Tips, and Good Practices manual, it really helps you understand how to do the wiring.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2008, 06:48 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Tertola,
If you have any specific questions after you check the Tips and Guidelines and the robot power distribution drawing both available on the First website then let us know here. You can also PM me if you wish. I will be your inspector in MN and you can ask me anything when I am there as well.

Jees,
I like your suggestions, we solder and heat shrink everything as well. There's a long story behind that but I'll save that for another day. Recommended practice is to wire the controller fans directly to the power input of each controller. It gives you an immediate indication that the controller is receiving power. They do not need to run if the contoller is not powered. Under the electrical rules, this requires an additional breaker to run all the fans from the power block and it leaves that little wire all over your robot. Since the breakers are self resetting, there is no worry if the motor breaker trips.
Even though many teams build and use the backup battery charger, there is no substitute for a fully charged backup using a standard wall powered charger. My recommendation is to save some weight and wear and tear on the main battery and buy a few backup batteries. Didgikey will make up larger capacity packs in record time or you can buy additional packs from IFI.
www.wildstang.org
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Doing the rookie thing, again!
FRC #5148 (New Berlin Blitz)

Rookie Year: 2004
Jeff Pahl has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Pahl has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Pahl has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Pahl has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Pahl has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Pahl has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Pahl has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Pahl has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Pahl has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Pahl has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Pahl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Skierkiewicz View Post
Tertola,
If you have any specific questions after you check the Tips and Guidelines and the robot power distribution drawing both available on the First website then let us know here. You can also PM me if you wish. I will be your inspector in MN and you can ask me anything when I am there as well.
You can also PM me, I'm a little closer than Al is and if you get really stuck I can try and make a trip to help you out or get you in contact with someone who can. I'll be one of the inspectors assisting Al at the regional.

Mentor: 1379: 2004-2008 / 2530: 2008-2013 / 2861: 2009 / 2062: 2014-?? / 5148: 2014-??
Lead Robot Inspector: 10,000 Lakes '09 - '11 / Lake Superior '11-'12 / Northern Lights '13 / Championship '09 - '12, 2014
Attending/Inspecting 2014: Wisconsin, Championship

"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple" -Dr. Seuss
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: