OCCRA
Go to Post It's your duty in FRC to your teammates and alliance partners to put the most competitive robot possible on the field. - Chris is me [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Math and Science
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Why? Why not.
AKA: Rida
FRC #2590 (Nemesis)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
i_am_samus has a spectacular aura abouti_am_samus has a spectacular aura abouti_am_samus has a spectacular aura about
Light stopped in its tracks

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1124540.stm

Summary: A scientist found out a way to stop light, and start it up again by bringing a container to near absolute 0, and injecting a cloud of Sodium and trapping the light in it.

It's quite amazing really. Before they were able to slow it down, but now they've completely stopped it. Imagine all the applications! With this, we are now completely able to control light (well almost completely). Technology as we know it is going to change dramatically. Holograms will no longer be science fiction

What do you guys think?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2008, 10:09 PM
AKA: Estil Montero
FRC #1660 (Harlem Knights)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
EZE115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Light stopped in its tracks

if they can stop light the next step would be making cloaking device
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Imaginary Friend
AKA: Kevin Li
FRC #0596 (SciClones)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2001
kevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to kevin.li.rit

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE115 View Post
if they can stop light the next step would be making cloaking device
They've already done that... They called it the invisibility cloak or something. They bent microwaves around an object. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6064620.stm

596 - Sciclones
1405 - Finney Falcons
2262 - Holliston Panthers
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-04-2008, 01:18 PM
AKA: Jason
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeism View Post
They've already done that... They called it the invisibility cloak or something. They bent microwaves around an object. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6064620.stm
I don't think that is what he was referring to. I think he was intending that it be "truly" invisible. Besides, even the article said it was "nearly" invisible. That is still cool but has too many flaws for practical use. This idea of stopping the light has some major possibilities though. Just throwing this out there, but wouldn't it be possible in the future to use this to record important historic events? Use it as some sort of video storage? I don't know, but am just curious.

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
–Gruffi Gummi, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: