OCCRA
Go to Post Find what your team is good at, and use it in any way you can. - karomata [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Did you have this gyro issue?
Yes 5 38.46%
No 8 61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:04 PM
FRC Eclipse Plug-in Developer
no team (FRC Eclipse)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2005
Ryan O is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Ryan O
Gyro Warning

This is just a warning to teams who have experienced the same problems we have been having with this year's gyro:

To start out, we read to manual, ect and wired up the left pins (The side with the white cable connected to the pin labeled "R" where the other were ground or 5 volts) and plugged it into analog port 1 on our RC. We proceeded to code up a simple test and print program using WPILib.

What we got for output was one of two things:

Consistent zeros

OR

A constantly increasing value

These are not the results we expected. All information indicated that the values should increase when the gyro was rotated right, decrease when rotated left, and stay the same when the gyro wasn't being moved.

So I went to the WPILib forums and described the problem. Being new to analog sensors in general and WPILib in specific this year, I firgured I messed up the code somehow. I went back and forth with Brad Miller, who was very helpful and even ran the code I posted for him on a VEX to check it, and everything seemed in order to him, except the fact that it would behave for me.

So I left it for awhile and helped with other stuff on the robot, tinkering once and awhile.

So today, I was working on it, and asked another team member to take another look at the electrical part. i had already checked it with a multimeter, and didn't have much hope for that option. I went and did something he needed me for, and he took a look at it.

I get back and he says "You know, there are more paths to this other set of pins than the one we're hooked up to. I've seen boards mislabeled before."

So, hoping he was right, I plugged a cable into the other set of pins. then I rant he same program I had been running. Low and behold, it worked. It started behaving like it should.

So, basically, what I'm saying is that this year's gyro, which IS a different model than last year's, is either labeled using different conventions (T no longer stands for temp but twist or something) or some of the boards were just plain mislabeled. If you are having the same problems we did, give it a try, the worst you can do is output a weird number to the terminal.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:18 PM
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)
Team Role: Mentor

billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gyro Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
(The side with the white cable connected to the pin labeled "R" where the other were ground or 5 volts) and plugged it into analog port 1 on our RC.....
So, hoping he was right, I plugged a cable into the other set of pins. then I rant he same program I had been running. Low and behold, it worked. It started behaving like it should.

So, basically, what I'm saying is that this year's gyro, which IS a different model than last year's, is either labeled using different conventions (T no longer stands for temp but twist or something) or some of the boards were just plain mislabeled. .

From the Sensors manual
"The Yaw Rate gyro receives 5V from the RC and connects to two of the robot
controller’s analog inputs. Please note that the output labeled “T” is for “Twist” or
rotational velocity. The output labeled “R” is “Relative Temperature”."

Somewhat confusing, but specifically called out.
Twist is what you are looking for.

CalGames 2009 Semi Finalist, CalGames 2009 Autonomous Champion Award winner
Sacramento 2010 Creativity in Design winner, Sacramento 2010 Quarter finalist, 2010 Madtown Creative Design Award
2011 Sacramento Finalist, 2011 Madtown Engineering Inspiration Award
2012 Sacramento Semi-Finals, 2012 Sacramento Innovation in Control Award, 2012 SVR Judges Award.
2012 CalGames Autonomous Challenge Award winner ($$$).
2013 Pow3rhou53 Pwnage Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC). Curie Division, Gracious Professionalism Award.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:26 PM
I ᐸ3 Robots
AKA: Joey Gannon
no team

Rookie Year: 2004
jgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond repute

T definitely stood for Twist last year, too. Understandably irritating, but at least consistently so.
2007 Pittsburgh Website Award
2006 Pittsburgh Regional Champions (thanks to 395 and 1038)
2006 Pittsburgh Rookie Inspiration & Highest Rookie Seed

Team 1388 - Eagle Robotics
2005 Sacramento Engineering Inspiration
2004 Curie Division Champions (thanks to 1038 and 175)
2004 Sacramento Rookie All-Star

_
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:56 PM
AKA: Will
FRC #3005 (Robochargers)

wt200999 will become famous soon enoughwt200999 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to wt200999

I just went through this today too

You figure "R" would be for rotation and "T" would be for Temp
FRC Team 3005 Mentor 2014

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Don't Get EliMOEnated!
AKA: My First Name is really "The" (or Brian)
FRC #0365 (The Miracle Workerz); FRC#1495 (AGR); FRC#4342 (Demon)

Rookie Year: 2001
The Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to The Lucas

I'll admit I was confused by this too I've been using Analog Devices eval board gyros since before the PCB kit gyros were in existence, so I never wired a kit gyro before this year. Another team asked a question about the kit gyro so we wired it up to test its behavior ourselves. When I looked at the gyro, my first instinct was "R" was for "Rate" (it is a yaw Rate sensor) but I asked someone to check the sensor manual. He said "T" was for "Temperature". It made sense so a student wired the "R". We tested it, it didnt work.

The meeting ended and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I was thinking "some help I am, I don't know how to wire the kit gyro". By chance, I looked at the WPILab doc that night and noticed the "T" was wired. Of course then I realized what was wrong. The next day, we fixed it and all had a good laugh about "Relative Temperature" and "Twist". We all agreed that the gyro labeling is counter intuitive.

Electrical & Programming Mentor ---Team #365 "The Miracle Workerz"
Founding Mentor --- Team #1495 Avon Grove High School
2007 CMP Chairman's Award - Thanks to all MOE members (and others) past and present who made it a reality.
Robot Inspector
"I don't think I'm ever more ''aware'' than I am right after I burn my thumb with a soldering iron"
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2008, 01:32 PM
The master of the cards ^_^
AKA: Raa'Shaun H.
FRC #0322 (F.I.R.E. "Flint Inspires Real Engineers")
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 1999
CardcaptorRLH85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to CardcaptorRLH85 Send a message via AIM to CardcaptorRLH85 Send a message via MSN to CardcaptorRLH85 Send a message via Yahoo to CardcaptorRLH85

This is the first year that our team is using gyros at all (I just seem to be good at dead reckoning...). So, I thought that T was Temperature and R was Rotation...apparently I was wrong but when I got nothing for an output I just read the sensor manual and was set straight.

Just remember, 'Reading is Fundamental' ^_^

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2008, 11:23 AM
AKA: Dave Edwards
FRC #1310 (Runnymede Robotics)

de_ is a jewel in the roughde_ is a jewel in the roughde_ is a jewel in the roughde_ is a jewel in the rough

Dumb question. Kevin Watsons code appears to not require the "R" (Relative Temperature) connection to the RC at all. Am I reading this correctly ?
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2008, 11:35 AM
La Cañada High School
FRC #2429

Kevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_ View Post
Dumb question. Kevin Watsons code appears to not require the "R" (Relative Temperature) connection to the RC at all. Am I reading this correctly ?
Correct, you don't need it.

-Kevin
Google Advanced Technologies and Projects
http://kevin.org
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Don't Get EliMOEnated!
AKA: My First Name is really "The" (or Brian)
FRC #0365 (The Miracle Workerz); FRC#1495 (AGR); FRC#4342 (Demon)

The Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to The Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_ View Post
Correct. The "R" Relative Temperature is most often not used (do any teams actually use it?). Temperature does affect the rate output on the gyro but not significantly in the context of a FIRST match (IMHO). You could write code to correct for temperature effects (has anyone?), but I dont think it is worth the time during build season.

Electrical & Programming Mentor ---Team #365 "The Miracle Workerz"
Founding Mentor --- Team #1495 Avon Grove High School
2007 CMP Chairman's Award - Thanks to all MOE members (and others) past and present who made it a reality.
Robot Inspector
"I don't think I'm ever more ''aware'' than I am right after I burn my thumb with a soldering iron"
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2008, 11:47 AM
wow college goes fast.
AKA: Alex Suchko
FRC #1024 (Kil-A-Bytes)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Qbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Watson View Post
Correct, you don't need it.

-Kevin
Kevin, call me curious george here, but is the reason you don't need it because you find the mean value before starting to use the gyro? Is this what changes with temperature?

Thanks,

q

p.s. Unfortunately no camera this year, so for the first time in two years the code doesn't compile as camera.hex. Thanks for sorting through the camera specs and writing a driver those couple years ago, it was a beast!

2008 Championship Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control Award Winners
Electrical Engineer Illini
1024 | Programmer '06, '07, '08 | Driver '08
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: