Go to Post "What's this on the floor? 'Team 71 2005 strategy and design notebook'?" DRAT! I better call Bill and get this in the mail. - Gary Dillard [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2008, 03:19 PM
AKA: Aaron Baker
FRC #0085 (BOB)
Team Role: Animator

Rookie Year: 2008
Mrtrom is an unknown quantity at this point
Ball Bearings

I am new this year on FIRST, and i was wondering if ball bearings will begin to "lock up" after long periods of use
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2008, 03:39 PM
FRC #0141
Team Role: Parent

Rookie Year: 2004
ALIBI is a name known to allALIBI is a name known to allALIBI is a name known to allALIBI is a name known to allALIBI is a name known to allALIBI is a name known to all
Re: Ball Bearings

That is one of the nice things about FIRST. Unless you are able to get considerable drive time before the ship date, you do not usually have to worry about Ball Bearings. Think of it this way, 24 hours of running your robot equals about 640 matches, with very little continuous use. We have never had problems with ball bearings on our robot. I guess it depends on what you consider long periods of use.

EDIT: Making certain that they are lined up to begin with also helps.

Last edited by ALIBI : 01-30-2008 at 03:43 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2008, 03:56 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

I've never ever seen a ball bearing lock up in FIRST. 330's practice robot last year went through the mill--the drivers barely waited for the batteries to charge before driving again; it won a preseason, and is still running today. No bearing failure.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #3694 (Warbotz)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtrom View Post
I am new this year on FIRST, and i was wondering if ball bearings will begin to "lock up" after long periods of use
Ball bearings usually are overkill for a FIRST application and should last far beyond the life expectancy of your robot.

A couple of things to note: Ball bearings like even loads meaning that the shaft that goes through the bearing pack (I'm assuming you are using a bearing pack and not just ball bearings in a channel) is in line with the hole and not canted. The other thing is that ball bearing packs tend to not like side loads.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. "
- Tennyson, Ulysses

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: