OCCRA
Go to Post If regolith ever makes a return, I will jump out of a window. - Oblarg [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Vice President of the planet Earth.
AKA: Jeffrey
FRC #2344 (Saunders Droid Factory)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2008
Tach'ko is an unknown quantity at this point
Guitar Hero Driven Robot- Without USB Dongle

Well, the electricians had some free time on our hands, so we decided to do some... Unnecessary things. Like make a HUD, or drive the robot in hybridmode with the PSP.

Well, one of our members had a bad GH controller, so we decided to have some fun with it. Considering I'm short about $119.50 for a USB dongle, that idea was out of the question. So, we opened it up, and rewired the innards to one of free digital inputs (On the Operator Interface, of course).

As soon as CID FINISHES OUR DRIVETRAIN INSTEAD OF BROWSING THE INTERNET, we'll be able to have it drive the robot.

Pics... Eventually. If you want. Whatever. Bye Anansi. Stop reading over my shoulder. Awesome.

I'm not crazy I swear. Also, this is not a joke. Seriously.

I'm bored... Check out mai devArt!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2008, 03:36 PM
FRC #0354

NazoXIII is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Guitar Hero Driven Robot- Without USB Dongle

cool that robot must be cool but i wanna see a pic if possible sounds like a good idea
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Don't Get EliMOEnated!
AKA: My First Name is really "The" (or Brian)
FRC #0365 (The Miracle Workerz); FRC#1495 (AGR); FRC#4342 (Demon)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
The Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to The Lucas
Re: Guitar Hero Driven Robot- Without USB Dongle

1261 rewired a GH controller for their OI last year. They used buttons it to move their arm to preset positions and used the pick to control their grabber.

Electrical & Programming Mentor ---Team #365 "The Miracle Workerz"
Founding Mentor --- Team #1495 Avon Grove High School
2007 CMP Chairman's Award - Thanks to all MOE members (and others) past and present who made it a reality.
Robot Inspector
"I don't think I'm ever more ''aware'' than I am right after I burn my thumb with a soldering iron"
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2008, 04:45 PM
AKA: Grant
FRC #3357
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
GGCO is a splendid one to beholdGGCO is a splendid one to beholdGGCO is a splendid one to beholdGGCO is a splendid one to beholdGGCO is a splendid one to beholdGGCO is a splendid one to beholdGGCO is a splendid one to beholdGGCO is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GGCO

That sounds amazing. We were thinking about using a Wii-mote to control our robot in hybrid mode, but the wii-mote uses bluetooth along with IR.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Vice President of the planet Earth.
AKA: Jeffrey
FRC #2344 (Saunders Droid Factory)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2008
Tach'ko is an unknown quantity at this point

Just be careful with the Wii-mote, because it can't EMIT IR, only receive it. As for the Bluetooth, hey if you can do it, do it.

After a bit more work, we wired up the Whammy bar to control speed, and the green and red buttons as forward and reverse respectively for one motor, and blue and orange for forward and reverse on the other. Yellow is ignored.

So this chord drives it forward:

Reverse:

Clockwise rotation is:

Counter-Clockwise:

The whammy bar returns an analog input between about 100 and 220, and we first divide it by ten, then multiply it by ten to remove the jitters. After that, we use some math functions to assign the Victors the speed based on the input from the whammy bar.

Honestly, I love it. In all honesty, if I end up driving the robot, I'm using this control system. The Whammy bar is in such a great spot, and all you have to do is push on it to ramp up the speed. The direction is so simple, and easy to switch from one direction to another. It's less motion than the regular joysticks, and you can easily drive it around for ages without tire. As long as you're GOOD at Guitar Hero, you should be fine.

Three pics are of the box we use as a hub for the port 3 devices we have, the HUD and the guitar, as well as the kill switch and the hybrid/user switch.

If anybody can recommend a good place to upload video, I've got some of out proto-bot in action. nothing but a drive train, so no big secrets getting leaked (Like our Fuel Cell...).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside Box.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	6192  Click image for larger version

Name:	Workbench.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	6193  Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside box.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	6194  

I'm bored... Check out mai devArt!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Boiler Up
AKA: John Downey
FRC #4302 (Robophins)

Rookie Year: 2006
jtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tach'ko View Post
Just be careful with the Wii-mote, because it can't EMIT IR, only receive it. As for the Bluetooth, hey if you can do it, do it.
That is true about the Wiimote, it receives IR from that bar you put on top of your TV. As for Bluetooth, that is illegal (as is any wireless communication) to use on the competition floor (per R64).
Midwest Regional Planning Committee - Member (2012-current)
Boilermaker Regional Planning Committee - Member (2011-current)
Robot Inspector (2008-current)
Purdue FIRST Programs - Staff Advisor (2008-2011)
Lafayette-Jefferson High School/Precision Guessworks (FRC 1646) - Mentor (2006-2011)

"If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it on a large scale." -Tom Gilb
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2008, 10:49 PM
AKA: Eric... I think a lot
FRC #0599 (RoboDox)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2001
EricRobodox has a brilliant futureEricRobodox has a brilliant futureEricRobodox has a brilliant futureEricRobodox has a brilliant futureEricRobodox has a brilliant futureEricRobodox has a brilliant futureEricRobodox has a brilliant futureEricRobodox has a brilliant futureEricRobodox has a brilliant futureEricRobodox has a brilliant futureEricRobodox has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to EricRobodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdowney View Post
That is true about the Wiimote, it receives IR from that bar you put on top of your TV. As for Bluetooth, that is illegal (as is any wireless communication) to use on the competition floor (per R64).
Your correct and wrong at the same time. Bluetooth is not allowed because its a form of wireless communication in the form of radio frequency. You are allowed to use communication TO the robot with IR, visible light, and sound. Bluetooth is a form of radio communication, not in the categories allowed, making it illegal to use.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Boiler Up
AKA: John Downey
FRC #4302 (Robophins)

Rookie Year: 2006
jtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRobodox View Post
Your correct and wrong at the same time. Bluetooth is not allowed because its a form of wireless communication in the form of radio frequency. You are allowed to use communication TO the robot with IR, visible light, and sound. Bluetooth is a form of radio communication, not in the categories allowed, making it illegal to use.
I think you misread my post. I never said IR was banned, only Bluetooth.
Midwest Regional Planning Committee - Member (2012-current)
Boilermaker Regional Planning Committee - Member (2011-current)
Robot Inspector (2008-current)
Purdue FIRST Programs - Staff Advisor (2008-2011)
Lafayette-Jefferson High School/Precision Guessworks (FRC 1646) - Mentor (2006-2011)

"If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it on a large scale." -Tom Gilb
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: