Go to Post It is not brains but desire that matters. - Lancer Robotics [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2008, 12:17 AM
Controls Leader
AKA: Joe B.
FRC #0145 (TRx)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2006
Bluephlame is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Bluephlame
RC remote program and reset button schematic

After fruitlessly searching for several hours on IFI's website for a schematic for a remote program and reset button, I came to the conclusion that one did not exist. But, I did find a response on the IFI Q&A forum that explained how to wire one and from that explanation, I was able to successfully wire it. I then made a schematic of it to share with you guys on this forum who have always been a great help to myself and others. Just giving something back is all...
http://www.trx145.net/photogallery/RC%20Reset%20and%20Program%20Switch.gif

Last edited by Bluephlame : 01-31-2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Rehosted on Team 145's website
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-31-2008, 01:01 AM
Team 11 Programming Captain
AKA: Max T
FRC #0011 (MORT)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2005
bear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to beholdbear24rw is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to bear24rw
Re: RC remote program and reset button schematic

Or, you can wire them to the RC's digital outputs and you can put it into program mode from your computer
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Norm Hurst
AKA: gnorm
#0381 (The Tornadoes)
Team Role: Programmer

gnormhurst will become famous soon enoughgnormhurst will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear24rw View Post
Or, you can wire them to the RC's digital outputs and you can put it into program mode from your computer
This one sentence has changed my life. Thank you.

Now if I can just find a solution to wireless RS-232 at 115200 baud my life will be complete.
---
My corner of the USPTO.
My favorite error message from gcc: main is usually a function
My favorite error message from Windows: There is not enough disk space available to delete this file.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Raptors can't turn doorknobs.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not following.

I understand you can wire it to a RC digital out, but if you're running from the OI you'd need to have a button on the OI put it in program.

Am I missing something? Are you running the robot off the computer?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2008, 06:46 PM
ohhh MY god
AKA: Dan Hoizner
FRC #0375 (The Robotic Plague)

Rookie Year: 2004
DanDon has a reputation beyond reputeDanDon has a reputation beyond reputeDanDon has a reputation beyond reputeDanDon has a reputation beyond reputeDanDon has a reputation beyond reputeDanDon has a reputation beyond reputeDanDon has a reputation beyond reputeDanDon has a reputation beyond reputeDanDon has a reputation beyond reputeDanDon has a reputation beyond reputeDanDon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to DanDon Send a message via AIM to DanDon Send a message via MSN to DanDon

If the computer and the robot are connected via the program port, you can have a process running in the background of the robot controller that recognizes "commands" from IFI Loader (a la Kevin's "Bells and Whistles" code from last year).
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alan Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDon View Post
If the computer and the robot are connected via the program port,...
And if your goal is to download a program to the Robot Controller, you have to have your computer and the robot connected via the program port in any case.

A few years ago, I put together a couple of "breakout" connectors that stole three pins from the 9-pin serial cable and provided a remote reset and program button. Giving the person at the keyboard the ability to put the robot controller in program mode himself is a whole lot more convenient than having him ask someone to reach into the robot and press the button.

Last year, I got fancier and replaced the serial cable with the equivalent of an ethernet cable, putting adapters at each end. The computer side has a 9-pin female serial connector, the remote buttons, and an RJ-45 jack. The RC side has another RJ-45 jack, a 9-pin male serial connector, and a servo connector for the remote button header pins. The robot's jack was intended to be mounted in an easily accessible spot, to be more convenient than the serial program port on the RC itself.

We eventually moved beyond needing a hardware button at all. We implemented the kind of menuing system DanDon alluded to, with a single wire from one of the RC's digital outputs to the remote PROG pin. It worked so well we did it again this year, with some refinement to the menuing routines to make it easier to add new menus. I intend to work with the TechnoKats' lead student programmer this spring to make our menuing framework available for other teams to use and/or adapt.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: