OCCRA
Go to Post I tried to convince my team to use the force but no one would listen. - ngreen [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2008, 02:54 PM
SuperSexcGuy
AKA: Achmed
FRC #1514 (QWERTYUIOPASDFGHJKLZXCVBNM)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 1965
SuperSexcGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
IR SENSOR BOARD

hi im SuperSexcGuy and i was wondering how will i know if my ir sensor board works or not... I used a 9V battery to turn it on but i got no results..the chip does not turn on Can some one please tell me how i can find out if i need a new 1?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alan Anderson
Re: IR SENSOR BOARD

If the LEDs do not light as expected when you correctly follow the directions in the IR board documentation, it is possible that your IR board is faulty. You can check to make sure the 5 volt regulator is indeed providing 5 volts; if it is not, you can try replacing it to see if that makes the board work properly.

(For what it's worth, I think you'll be more likely to get constructive advice if you identified yourself and your team with a less foolish attitude.)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2008, 04:49 PM
FRC #2952

Rookie Year: 2008
GrammarNazi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to GrammarNazi

He is the mascot though.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2008, 04:50 PM
AKA: Spence
FRC #2226 (Broncos)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2007
hunter7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to hunter7

We had the same thing happen, we programmed it and then put it away for the day. The next day it wouldn't turn on, so we have no idea what to do.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2008, 07:12 PM
AKA: Jacob Miner
FRC #2077 (Laser Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Miner is on a distinguished road

Make sure that you have the positive lead connected to pins 1 and/or 2 and negative to pins 3 and/or 4. If you did it backwards, you might have seen a puff of smoke or a wierd noise or something. That would mean that your voltage regulator is blown.

If that is not the case and the voltage regulator is putting out 5 volts, contact FIRST... other teams have come up with faulty boards.

Good luck!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2008, 07:35 PM
AKA: Adam Bochek
FRC #2200 (MMRambotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Bochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud ofBochek has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to Bochek

We ran into the same problem today.

It was working fine (as it has been for the last 2 weeks), we moved the robot to another room and it no longer works.

Took it all apart and tested it,
Power regulator is fine, and everything checks out okay, but no led's are lighting and the board is not functioning, my guess is that a low voltage situation caused the PIC16F chip on the board to loose its memory. The board probably requires a re-program which we can do if we had the code.

- Bochek
http://www.watchfirstnow.com
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2008, 11:29 PM
FRC #3410

urg8rb8 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have experienced a problem today with our IR board as well. Our board would power up (so the voltage regulator seems to be working correctly), go through the regular training, but then would stop detecting any of the signals. We were able to get it working before using the same remote but all of a sudden it stopped working. Not sure why.

I have read that some teams have been able to reflash the microcontrollers on these boards. Can someone please provide some information on how to obtain the microcontroller software, the programmer, and the program cabling?

That would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-06-2008, 08:24 AM
SPAM, the lunchmeat of superheroes!
AKA: Eric Schreffler
FRC #0180 (SPAM)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
EricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by urg8rb8 View Post
We have experienced a problem today with our IR board as well. Our board would power up (so the voltage regulator seems to be working correctly), go through the regular training, but then would stop detecting any of the signals. We were able to get it working before using the same remote but all of a sudden it stopped working. Not sure why.

I have read that some teams have been able to reflash the microcontrollers on these boards. Can someone please provide some information on how to obtain the microcontroller software, the programmer, and the program cabling?
Dang! Same thing happenned to us! We were speculating that we could re-flash the PIC. ...looks like I'll go searching. Frankly we're been very "gentle" with this board, since it is a new "toy". If these problems are common, I'll have to doubt it usefulness in competition. .....we'll see

Eric

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: