Go to Post I think the only way I'd die from posting on CD is from my wife killing me. - Koko Ed [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > CAD
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2008, 08:51 PM
SF Robotics CAD Designer
FRC #2367
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2008
sfcaddesigner is an unknown quantity at this point
Question What is the difference Between Autodesk Inventor and 3ds Max?

What is the difference between Autodesk Inventor Pro 2008 and 3ds Max 2008? Also, what is combustion 2008 for? Do I even need 3ds Max and Combustion if I have Autodesk Inventor Pro? If I do, what do I use each software for? I'm a newbie at all this stuff and this is our first year for our robotics team. I'm a freshmen in high school and have only been working with inventor for about a week, having all the basics like constraints, dimensions, extruding, holes, and sketches. No one in my school, including our coach, knows how to use any of these softwares, so I've been teaching myself. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2008, 10:04 PM
An Info Sys Student at Drexel
AKA: Keith Hobin
FRC #0555 (Montclair Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
kjhobin is a jewel in the roughkjhobin is a jewel in the roughkjhobin is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to kjhobin Send a message via Skype™ to kjhobin
Smile Re: What is the difference Between Autodesk Inventor and 3ds Max?

Inventor is a 3D CAD (Computer Aided Design) Software good for modeling parts for your robot.

3D Studio Max (3DS MAX) is 3D Animation software, like what you would use to make a animated movie (Think Toy Story).

2008 is just what they used as the version number, like Microsoft Office 2007

You can get help and tutorials for both these programs at http://firstbase.autodesk.com

Don't forget to submit an entry for the awards related to these programs at FIRST base!

Good Luck!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Alumni of 103 Animation Team
FRC #0103 (Cybersonics)
Team Role: Animator

Rookie Year: 2005
Theflexmaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What is the difference Between Autodesk Inventor and 3ds Max?

Like kjhobin said 3ds max is a animation program while Inventor is a CAD program. Combustion is a post process program which is most similar to After Affects, but more tuned for 3ds max. It's very good for compositing and creating certain effects which can take less time when rendering.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-13-2008, 01:12 PM
AKA: Jason
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is the difference Between Autodesk Inventor and 3ds Max?

If you have any question on any specific tools for Inventor, just PM or make a thread. I am always glad to teach Inventor. As for 3ds max, I would save that software for the summer. It won't be that useful for the robot itself. It is mainly there in case you want to compete in the animation competition.

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
–Gruffi Gummi, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: