OCCRA
Go to Post I've never encountered a motor as forgiving as a CIM - Stall them for 20 seconds, run them hot on a short turnaround, or call them mean names in between matches and they'll just keep doing their thing. - thefro526 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Regional Competitions
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2008, 03:29 PM
AKA: Will
FRC #0449 (Blair Robot Project)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
pentau is a glorious beacon of lightpentau is a glorious beacon of lightpentau is a glorious beacon of lightpentau is a glorious beacon of lightpentau is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to pentau
Webcasting a Regional

I was looking into webcasting (maybe recording) one of the regionals my team is going to (Chesapeake). I'm not sure yet though if I will be able to do it though. I have seen instructions for recording a regional, however, how do you go about webcasting the regional? Who provides the internet connection (you? the regional? NASA?) Any recommendations on what software to use (for Mac)--I was looking into ustream.tv.

Thanks!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Data Nerd
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS) (EWCP)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Webcasting a Regional

I just toyed with ustream.tv it seems pretty easy. You have to provide the connection I believe. Check with your regional most of them should have one available. I was using my MBP's internal webcam with my houses wireless network and it was working pretty nice. Just if you are running the MBP don't have it on your lap, it is processor intensive and it gets HOT. Any firewire/usb camera should work. When I get back to school Im going to see if I can borrow a digital video camera to use.

Planning to top a 4 banner year...
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2008, 04:30 PM
is good at making robots find walls
AKA: Jonathan
FRC #0179 (Children of the Swamp!!!)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2007
Jetweb is a name known to allJetweb is a name known to allJetweb is a name known to allJetweb is a name known to allJetweb is a name known to allJetweb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien1247 View Post
Any firewire/usb camera should work. When I get back to school Im going to see if I can borrow a digital video camera to use.
Im not sure about the web part but i know that most webcasts steal the video stream from the main screen and broadcast that.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2008, 04:39 PM

pentau is a glorious beacon of lightpentau is a glorious beacon of lightpentau is a glorious beacon of lightpentau is a glorious beacon of lightpentau is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the information.

We have a couple of Mac G4s that we might be using for the webcasting / archiving. (I don't yet know entirely how the archiving might work). Apparently there is a 'video drop' from the big screen projector video that you are allowed to plug into. We also have a Sony DV converter that encodes from RCA into a DV feed.

Also, I found these programs called Darwin Streaming Server and Quicktime Broadcaster. They look like they might work...does anyone have any experience with these?

The more I look at it, ustream seems pretty good too. I like the nice streaming flash interface.

I also sent an email to the Chesapeake Regional Committee asking about the internet connection.

Thanks for testing out ustream and letting me know how it worked!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2008, 04:50 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Just a warning...if there is only one connection available, the link to FIRST takes priority. The match scores need uploading almost immediately.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
Just a warning...if there is only one connection available, the link to FIRST takes priority. The match scores need uploading almost immediately.
Yeah--I contacted the regional committee to try to find out if there would be a connection available that we could use... (I would think that there would be...it *is* the USNA)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Too young to be an 'old guy'
FRC #0155 (Technonuts)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 1999
Jeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Skype™ to Jeff Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentau View Post
(I would think that there would be...it *is* the USNA)
All the more reason that you wouldn't be able to use it.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: