OCCRA
Go to Post After all FIRST & CD are both places to learn everything. - popnbrown [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Which Week Is Best For Your First Regional?
Week 1 14 21.21%
Week 2 39 59.09%
Week 3 7 10.61%
Week 4 1 1.52%
Week 5 3 4.55%
Week 6 2 3.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
My Other Car is a 500 HP Turbine
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1942
Chris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond repute
Which Week is Best for Your First Regional

Which week do you think is the best week for your first regioanl of a season?

Week one, where everyone is learning?
Week two, after seeing some matches?
Week three, when some are already at their second event?
Week four or five?

What do you think, and why?

(Ignore week 6... my bad)
2010 - Woodie Flowers Award - Championship
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2008, 10:07 PM
AKA: Allison Kneisler
FRC #3538 (Avondale RoboJackets)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Allison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Allison K
Re: Which Week is Best for Your First Regional

If scheduling permits I like week 2 for a first regional because it allows for nice recovery time between build and first regional and between first and second regional.

~Allison
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever week FLR falls on is the best week for us.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Taking one home in '09.
AKA: Danny McCanney
FRC #0816 (The WesTech Anomaly)
Team Role: Alumni

Danny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Danny McC Send a message via MSN to Danny McC

Hmm well if you are going to do I usually like to do week 1 and week 5. Week 1 just because I am a total FIRST addict and I don't have to wait that long after the build season and it helps me understand the game a lot better before the next regional. And week 5 because by than usually a lot of the rules are worked out and the competition seems to go a lot smoother. Also, the competition is easier because a lot of people have competed by than that are doing two regionals and I know what we are up against. And people seem to be more excited and the regionals and the weeks progress.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2008, 10:18 PM
AKA: formerly sumadin
FRC #0008 (Paly Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
Guy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to beholdGuy Davidson is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Guy Davidson Send a message via AIM to Guy Davidson Send a message via MSN to Guy Davidson

I'd say it depends on how many regionals you'd like to attend. I'm a big fan of not going to consecutive weekened regionals; not only you get more fix-it time, but everyone involved get a nice weekend to relax.

With that said, if you'd like to go to three regionals, I'd say go 1, 3, and 5. A week one regional is a great learning experience. By the week 3 regional, a lot of things are figured out, and a good week five regional is the closest you can get to how the game will play out in Atlanta.

As for which week is the best for the first regional, I would definitely vote against 4 and 5. Most teams at a later regional will come with a regional behind them, rendering them much better prepared for the competition than you are. On the other hand, if you're only going to one regional, I wouldn't go to a week 1. Everyone is still learning about how the game is playing out (who would have thought G22 would be as huge as it really is right now?). I guess that leaves weeks two and three as the best, in my opinion. Preference to two, as fewer people are attending a second regional during week 2.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2008, 10:25 PM
AKA: Karen
FRC #1525 (Warbots)

Rookie Year: 2007
k4r3n2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Going to a week one regional for our only regional was very disappointing this year. Last year, we went to a week two regional and a week three regional, and that was really a great experience - enough time to recover after build season, but it was pretty chaotic trying to get all of our upgrades in! I'd say that the best would be week two and week four...if only they'd move Midwest back again!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2008, 08:42 AM
El Jefe de 148
AKA: Midwest Refugee
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2001
Jeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond repute

I like being in the early crowd. Week 1 is maybe a little too soon after build, but there is some excitement in being one of the first teams to play the game for real. I'd say either week 1 or 2, for me.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lets do this....
FRC #2848 (All-sparks)

Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Needel Send a message via Skype™ to Greg Needel

I'm a big fan of week 2. This allows the team to settle down after build and also provides some scouting and strategy development before our event.

We send a crew to a regional week 1 just to see how the game is being played. Then week two we apply the strategy and fix our machine at the first competition. The following competitions are were we expect to be competitive.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Ambitious but rubbish!
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)

Peter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond repute

Week 2. I need some time away from FIRSt after build season and week 1 is not enough. I've never been as fried from FIRST as last year when we went straight into a Week 1 regional after build.

That said most of my years on 177 we do week 3 and week 5.

2009 Newton Division Champions w/ 1507 & 121
2008 Archimedes Division Champions w/ 1124 & 1024
2007 Championship Winners/Newton Division Champions w/190, 987 & 177 The Wall of Maroon
2006 Galileo Division Champions w/ 1126 & 201
www.bobcatrobotics.org
"If you can't do it with brains, it won't be done with hours." - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2008, 11:29 AM
<< (2008 Game Piece)
FRC #1918 (NC Gears)

Rookie Year: 2006
Wayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond repute

In an ideal world where you get to go to more than one, week 2 or 3 lets you see how the game is playing out and be prepared.

In the real world (like 75% of us) where you only get to go to one regional: Whatever week has the regional that is closest to where you live...
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2008, 10:22 PM
The Banana People Are Awsome!
AKA: Nawaid Ladak
FRC #0945 (Team Banana)
Team Role: Tactician

Nawaid Ladak has a brilliant futureNawaid Ladak has a brilliant futureNawaid Ladak has a brilliant futureNawaid Ladak has a brilliant futureNawaid Ladak has a brilliant futureNawaid Ladak has a brilliant futureNawaid Ladak has a brilliant futureNawaid Ladak has a brilliant futureNawaid Ladak has a brilliant futureNawaid Ladak has a brilliant futureNawaid Ladak has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Nawaid Ladak Send a message via MSN to Nawaid Ladak Send a message via Yahoo to Nawaid Ladak Send a message via Skype™ to Nawaid Ladak

week 2, espassally if you think you have a target on your back, therefore if you mess up, everyone has seen the game once during week 1, and week 3-5 is when people start getting that urgency in them and the matches become harder to play. also week 2 gives you a chance to see some strategy being played during the first week.

Nawaid Ladak
2003-2006 FRC # 1402: Freedom Force. Scouting
2007 FRC # 1694: RoboWarriors. Mentor
2008-Present FRC # 945: Team Banana. Mentor

Contact me
E-mail: LadakN (at) GMail (dot) com

Twitter / Facebook / Youtube
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Don't Get EliMOEnated!
AKA: My First Name is really "The" (or Brian)
FRC #0365 (The Miracle Workerz); FRC#1495 (AGR); FRC#4342 (Demon)

Rookie Year: 2001
The Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to The Lucas

Week 2 is also my vote. I like to watch Week 1 Regionals and by Week 3 so some teams are already on their second regional. Based on these poll results I'd say there is demand for more Week 2 Regionals.

Electrical & Programming Mentor ---Team #365 "The Miracle Workerz"
Founding Mentor --- Team #1495 Avon Grove High School
2007 CMP Chairman's Award - Thanks to all MOE members (and others) past and present who made it a reality.
Robot Inspector
"I don't think I'm ever more ''aware'' than I am right after I burn my thumb with a soldering iron"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: