OCCRA
Go to Post anything is possible with dedication. - [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2008, 05:52 AM
AKA: Matt Baker
FRC #1622 (Spyder)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2007
Matthew2c4u has a spectacular aura aboutMatthew2c4u has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Matthew2c4u Send a message via MSN to Matthew2c4u
Question Blanket Alliance Penaltys

I have been wondering about this since i pushed forward the scouting program for Spyder. When they assign penalty's they don't specify which team received which penalty. From a professional standpoint, this information could be invaluable for scouting i can factor it in to the pivot tables for the overall score instead of being forced to average there penalty's from how many times there said alliance has received them which is somewhat inaccurate and can be bad for unlucky Qualifying round teams "Team 330s first qualifier at the san diego regional had 40points in penalty's bringing the score to 6-10 from 46-10." Now from a Gracious Standpoint i have heard teams argue that it wouldn't be fair to single out teams for having lots of penalty's but honestly then their errors can be identified and fixed. So on a graciously professional standpoint, i think that they should announce which team received the penalty's instead of which alliance because it seems to me its better for everyone.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2008, 06:22 AM
AKA: Jacob Komar
no team

Rookie Year: 2005
whytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to whytheheckme Send a message via AIM to whytheheckme Send a message via MSN to whytheheckme Send a message via Yahoo to whytheheckme Send a message via Skype™ to whytheheckme
Re: Blanket Alliance Penaltys

At most regionals, they announce who received how many penalties and for what. They did this at both regionals that I attended (BAE/NH and CT).

Jacob
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2008, 06:43 AM
0001 0101 0010 1001 System Lead!!
AKA: Corey
FRC #1529
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2006
cardinalman86 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalman86

At the Boilermaker Regional, the penalty announcing was off and on. They were still major factors in many matches though. It seemed that majority of the penalties were just crossing the line penalties, so if u have some extra people, just have them watch for the penalty flags. The refs also pointed at the team to tell who got the penalty. It just takes a little more work, but it will all be fine in the end.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2008, 10:27 AM
AKA: Jimmy Cao
no team

Rookie Year: 2004
Jimmy Cao has a brilliant futureJimmy Cao has a brilliant futureJimmy Cao has a brilliant futureJimmy Cao has a brilliant futureJimmy Cao has a brilliant futureJimmy Cao has a brilliant futureJimmy Cao has a brilliant futureJimmy Cao has a brilliant futureJimmy Cao has a brilliant futureJimmy Cao has a brilliant futureJimmy Cao has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Jimmy Cao

I do not believe that penalties are given as alliance penalties. At detroit, they gave our alliance partner a yellow flag, but the head ref came over and specifically mentioned that the flag only applied to one team, not the whole alliance.

Team 469 2006-2010 Student/Alumni
Team 830 2011-2012 Mentor
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

For our scouting, we have one person watching each robot. One of the things those people are looking for is penalties. If after the match the ref announces a <G22> penalty, each scouter should have already known if their robot committed it, even if it wasn't announced. We then record that teams as having received a penalty in that match and go from there.

This thread covers a lot of the same things: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...threadid=65895
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2008, 03:10 PM
FRC #0840 (ART)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
bduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond repute

This was a concern for us as well, as I specifically asked for our scouts to note penalties at each team. Luckily at SVR they were fairly good with this, but at times, especially when the penalties were being pushed back to after the next match (!), teams were not stated 100% of the time.

I think a good way to fix this problem is to look at the NFL. They have a specific format, you've all heard it: "Holding, on the offense, number 72, 10-yard penalty". I see no reason why FIRST couldn't do the same thing... perhaps something like "Crossing the line backwards on the blue alliance robot number 123, which is a 10-point penalty". It would make the competition easier to understand for the fans and the scouts. Also at SVR, our announcer specifically explained many of the penalties (especially on Saturday), including reading from the rulebook, which I thought was a very nice idea.

*generic TBA signature*
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2008, 05:22 PM
AKA: Matt Baker
FRC #1622 (Spyder)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2007
Matthew2c4u has a spectacular aura aboutMatthew2c4u has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Matthew2c4u Send a message via MSN to Matthew2c4u

I just don't have the manpower to put a scout on each robot, and at the San Diego regional i was surprised that all they did to signal a penalty is to hold up a flag, i only have 1 man on each alliance so it would be easier if they listed them at the end of the match.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: