OCCRA
Go to Post I'm sure there aren't a bunch of rule makers sitting in a board room discussing "What rule can we change now to mess with the teams' heads?" Lets all just sit back and enjoy the regionals! - Ricksta [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2001, 01:36 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Regional list out!

2002 event listing
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2001, 02:17 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC Key Volunteer Trainer
AKA: CrazyNate
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Nate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Nate Smith Send a message via Yahoo to Nate Smith
Canada regional

For those of you who noticed that the Toronto regional was not on the original list that was posted to FIRST's web site, it's there now...
returning for 2011? only time will tell...
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2001, 03:07 PM
#0011 (Marauders)

jasoni is an unknown quantity at this point
*sigh*

After a quick glance at the dates, I'm really rather disappointed in the layout.

My team is in NJ, and we'll most likely attend the MAR. The problem is, if we wanted to attend a second regional in the area we really can't.

NYC, Philly, and the Mid-Atlantic are all on the same weekend.

Who came up with that awful idea?
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2001, 05:33 PM
-
no team

EddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud of
Try the New England Regional.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2001, 05:55 PM
Mr. Swanson

Other regional for NJ

The Long Island Regional is not that much farther than NYC.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2001, 05:59 PM
Boston Regional Planning Committee
no team
Team Role: Communications

Jon Abad will become famous soon enoughJon Abad will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Jon Abad
Last year we had decided that we wanted to go somewhere new for our regional this year and we were thinking out west...

Looking at the schedule we don't have a clue what we can manage. It falls entirely in our last quarter with The Championship right smack in finals range... If we were to go to our usual two regionals and nats, we'd lose about 120 student-class days

Ouch FIRST. That really hurts. We're definitely cutting back our involvement...
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2001, 06:12 PM
Always be shipping.
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute
Re: *sigh*

Quote:
Originally posted by jasoni
After a quick glance at the dates, I'm really rather disappointed in the layout.

My team is in NJ, and we'll most likely attend the MAR. The problem is, if we wanted to attend a second regional in the area we really can't.

NYC, Philly, and the Mid-Atlantic are all on the same weekend.

Who came up with that awful idea?
If I'm concluding right, its to decrease the probability to go to multiple regionals and then increasing your chances to go to the Invitational. It makes perfect sense, in the limiting theme.
Advisor, NE FIRST
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2001, 07:40 PM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly
we were planning on going to the MMR and toronto, but we prolly won't because they are back to back weeks, eventhough toronto will be over spring break. we're gonna have to replace toronto with another regional.

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2001, 08:10 PM
Post Junkie
no team (Bagel Bytes)

mnkysp6353 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mnkysp6353
Qualifying for nationals

I can't believe the new qualification process for nationals this year. How is a team supposed to ask for money from a sponsor for national or raise the LARGE AMOUNT and not know whether they are going to go? My team is already having problems raising enough money for all other team things. If we are not guaranteed to go then why will anybody devote time and buy non refundable airplane tickets ahead of time? We will be attending the Socal regional and personally i see no way of planning a whole trip and raising close to 20,000 in 2 weeks. I think that it is unfair for teams that aren't on the A list or liked by these premiere robotics teams. If i am at all wrong in my analysis of the process please correct me.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2001, 08:34 PM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly
Re: Qualifying for nationals

Quote:
Originally posted by mnkysp6353
I can't believe the new qualification process for nationals this year. How is a team supposed to ask for money from a sponsor for national or raise the LARGE AMOUNT and not know whether they are going to go? My team is already having problems raising enough money for all other team things. If we are not guaranteed to go then why will anybody devote time and buy non refundable airplane tickets ahead of time? We will be attending the Socal regional and personally i see no way of planning a whole trip and raising close to 20,000 in 2 weeks. I think that it is unfair for teams that aren't on the A list or liked by these premiere robotics teams. If i am at all wrong in my analysis of the process please correct me.
it's possible but difficult. we raised the necessary money to go to nationals in about 2 weeks after we surpried ourselves of winning the MMR. some people were aready down in FL for spring break and some found rides down. i flew down with my dad and an engineer. we found some tickets at pretty cheap price. all of that was also possible because of an awesome sponsor, but we lost it due to township politics. never say never.

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-25-2001, 08:09 AM
#0011 (Marauders)

jasoni is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
If I'm concluding right, its to decrease the probability to go to multiple regionals and then increasing your chances to go to the Invitational. It makes perfect sense, in the limiting theme.
Well, kind of, I guess.

I wouldn't consider my team to be "rolling in the dough". I really don't think it's economically feasible to attend Nationals if find out we qualify for the nationals a month before we have to go. The prices for tickets and rooms would be FAR greater than if we booked it now.

Honestly, I would have to imagine most teams that don't pre-qualify for Disney, but qualify during the regionals will NOT be attending the Nationals. It's hard enough getting tickets to Florida in April if you book now. It's going to be impossible to find tickets in March.

Maybe we're the exception, but I highly doubt it.

As for other local regionals, yes, there are Long Island and New England. The problem is, both Philly and NYC could be done without booking rooms. Ok, 1.5-2 hours of driving each way is rough, but it's certainly doable.

Long Island is still a thought though.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-25-2001, 12:43 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC Key Volunteer Trainer
AKA: CrazyNate
no team

Nate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Nate Smith Send a message via Yahoo to Nate Smith
Something I just thought of...

Something I thought of for those teams that are wondering how to get the money to make last-minute arrangements for nationals - don't wait until the last minute! Work on the fundraising now, and put the money aside for next year if, for whatever reason, you end up not going down to nationals this year.
returning for 2011? only time will tell...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: