OCCRA
Go to Post Your iphone may be more intuitive for some of your students than a screw driver. - Isaac501 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Do you think having competitions during the Easter break is a problem?
No problem, makes no difference. 14 42.42%
May limit the number of teams. 12 36.36%
We will not participate on this these dates. 3 9.09%
This is a real problem for our team. 4 12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2001, 07:31 PM
Mike Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0051 (Wings of Fire)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 1996
Mike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond reputeMike Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Holiday / Holy Competition dates

Am I the only person that sees a problem with competitions on:

Good Friday?

Easter ( Spring Break ) week. Many teachers and students travel during this week. Often it is the senior trip time.

What do others think?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2001, 07:58 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Robotics Education and Competition
AKA: J-Mo
no team (RECF)

Rookie Year: 1998
Jason Morrella has a reputation beyond reputeJason Morrella has a reputation beyond reputeJason Morrella has a reputation beyond reputeJason Morrella has a reputation beyond reputeJason Morrella has a reputation beyond reputeJason Morrella has a reputation beyond reputeJason Morrella has a reputation beyond reputeJason Morrella has a reputation beyond reputeJason Morrella has a reputation beyond reputeJason Morrella has a reputation beyond reputeJason Morrella has a reputation beyond repute
While the holiday issue is a valid one, FIRST can not control the calendar. Easter happened to fall into March this year.

Luckily, FIRST is finally to a stage where "most" of the country has more than one regional they can choose to attend - so any team which may have a conflict with one weekend can choose to go to a different event.

Teams have already said they don't want the season extending into May for various reasons (AP tests, end of school year, etc...) and the season can not be moved up any sooner (Xmas, New years, etc...)

I actually know of a few teams who are happy they can choose a regional Easter week because they will lose less school time. The same situation can be effect everyone differently. A few years ago I would have agreed this was a big issue - but with FIRST providing 17 Regionals for teams to choose from, I think it works for all.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2001, 11:12 PM
Asst Dir, WPI Robotics Resource Ctr
FRC #0190 (Gompei and the HERD)
Team Role: Mentor

ColleenShaver is a glorious beacon of lightColleenShaver is a glorious beacon of lightColleenShaver is a glorious beacon of lightColleenShaver is a glorious beacon of lightColleenShaver is a glorious beacon of lightColleenShaver is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ColleenShaver
Angry

As a college student- I think holy days aren't really our worry...

We're more looking that we like to schedule regionals during our spring break.. only 2 fall there, VA and FL, neither of which we would typically go to... And we had been looking to travel to a new regional, but who knows now!

The UTC regional we usually go to falls right during our midterm.

And Nationals happens during the last week of classes (i.e. the Monday and Tuesday after nats are our last days of class)

But we'll just have to see what we can work out!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-25-2001, 02:41 PM
Git 'em!
no team (Robot in 3 Days)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Rudolph
Well last year Nationals was on a holiday, a very important one for the jewish faith and i know lots of poeple couldnt go to nats cause of it, i thought that maybe first could try and figure ways around these types of problems but its really not thier fault.

Andrew
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-25-2001, 10:47 PM
FRC #0034 (Rocket City Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Dana Hobbs has a spectacular aura aboutDana Hobbs has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Dana Hobbs
I think FIRST should reconsider the dates for the 3 regionals on Easter Weekend. There are two weeks before the Nationals that are vacated.

Our School Bob Jones High School rescheduled the Prom one year so that our seniors could attend the FIRST Nationals in Orlando. It just so happened that the date (rescheduled date) for the Prom was Good Friday. This made the USA Today and it wasn't positive PR.

I don't think FIRST needs nor wants negative publicity.

My vote is not to have any type of FIRST events on this Holiday, especially now when our Nation is in it's hour of prayer.

Our team does have members that this would effect.

We would dearly love to go to St. Louis this year it's the first time we have had a regional that isn't 12 hours away from us, but it's Easter weekend.
Team #34

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: