OCCRA
Go to Post If this truly bothers you, you should do something CONSTRUCTIVE about it instead of whining about it - Jaine Perotti [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > National Instruments LabVIEW and Data Acquisition
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2008, 10:16 PM
AKA: Devan
FRC #2365 (Lions Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2007
Lions for First has a spectacular aura aboutLions for First has a spectacular aura aboutLions for First has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Lions for First
Question learning LabVIEW

Well our programmer is leaving us at the end of this school year and planned to teach some of us to program C but with the announcement that we will be using Lab VIEW next year (yes I do know that we can still do C) but I want to learn Lab VIEW but the problems are
1) I have no experience programming
2) Books on Lab VIEW are too expensive (Amazon puts it at $60-$100)
3) I canít seem to find classes in my area that will take high school students
4) Did I say I have NO experience programming?
I am looking for anyone who can help I donít know where to start and am feeling a little overwhelmed at this.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2008, 01:03 AM
no team
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2006
whitetiger0990 is a glorious beacon of lightwhitetiger0990 is a glorious beacon of lightwhitetiger0990 is a glorious beacon of lightwhitetiger0990 is a glorious beacon of lightwhitetiger0990 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: learning LabVIEW

I'm going to assume you have LabVIEW all ready to go and everything.

http://www.ni.com/academic/lv_training/how_learn_lv.htm
These should give you the basics. I had use Robolab for FLL before FRC, so I was already used to the program flow with LabVIEW.. but to learn how to do stuff, I thought of something I wanted to accomplish and I did searches to see what I needed to do to do it. I think I was able to do this because I was already used to a LabVIEW type environment. So the URL I said above should help you.

But still C is good to know. It's different, but as a programmer, it's good to know (even though LabVIEW's flow is much different).

Last year we used LabVIEW for our diagnostics (which will be interesting next year.. so much more information.. and 128M of flash! =O)

http://www.google.com/search?q=labview+tutorial

Just poke around. It'll give you a start, and from there you can dive into more interesting projects which'll give you more specific questions (instead of "How do I program?" it'll become "How do I loop until this action?")

One of the first things I did in LabVIEW was to make it connect to an IRC server, send a packet which made it join a channel, say something, and leave. That's all it did. At this point I could probably make a basic IRC client. Hm.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2008, 01:12 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetiger0990 View Post
I'm going to assume you have LabVIEW all ready to go and everything.

http://www.ni.com/academic/lv_training/how_learn_lv.htm
These should give you the basics. I had use Robolab for FLL before FRC, so I was already used to the program flow with LabVIEW.. but to learn how to do stuff, I thought of something I wanted to accomplish and I did searches to see what I needed to do to do it. I think I was able to do this because I was already used to a LabVIEW type environment. So the URL I said above should help you.
I don't think he does. It's in relation to the new control system.

Your comment about FLL and Robolab reminds me--the NXTs are programmed using some relative of LabVIEW. Those might help.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2008, 05:33 AM
Boiler Up
AKA: John Downey
FRC #4302 (Robophins)
Team Role: Mentor

jtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant futurejtdowney has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
Teams were given LabView in the past two years KoP so every should have a copy to start teaching themselves with.
Midwest Regional Planning Committee - Member (2012-current)
Boilermaker Regional Planning Committee - Member (2011-current)
Robot Inspector (2008-current)
Purdue FIRST Programs - Staff Advisor (2008-2011)
Lafayette-Jefferson High School/Precision Guessworks (FRC 1646) - Mentor (2006-2011)

"If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it on a large scale." -Tom Gilb
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Ubuntu User
AKA: Brian
FRC #2007 (Robots of the Round Table)

pogenwurst is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pogenwurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post

Your comment about FLL and Robolab reminds me--the NXTs are programmed using some relative of LabVIEW. Those might help.
My understanding is that the [default] software used to program the NXT is essentially a wrapper around LabVIEW.

If you have an NXT or are willing to buy one, NI's web site provides free addons to LabVIEW (PC and Mac versions only, sadly) that allow it to be used directly to program the NXT. So grab the copy of LabVIEW out of this year's KOP, download the addon, and get practicing.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2008, 11:39 AM
no team
Team Role: Programmer

whitetiger0990 is a glorious beacon of lightwhitetiger0990 is a glorious beacon of lightwhitetiger0990 is a glorious beacon of lightwhitetiger0990 is a glorious beacon of lightwhitetiger0990 is a glorious beacon of light

Oh right, I completely forgot NXT's thing was based off labVIEW. That'd really help you understand logic flow. Yes.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2008, 04:02 PM
AKA: Devan
FRC #2365 (Lions Robotics)

Lions for First has a spectacular aura aboutLions for First has a spectacular aura aboutLions for First has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Lions for First

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdowney View Post
Teams were given LabView in the past two years KoP so every should have a copy to start teaching themselves with.
umm... this will sound dumb but please remember that we are a rookie team... but what disk is the LabVIEW on in the KoP
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Head Captain and LabVIEW Programmer
FRC #2129 (Ultraviolet)

markulrich has a spectacular aura aboutmarkulrich has a spectacular aura about

It says that the LabVIEW disk and related documents was in a clear bag in the grey tote. I need to find my team's copy too. . .

You can find anything in the KoP by looking at the KoP Checklist, and searching for an item.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2008, 02:51 AM
AKA: Joe Daily
no team
Team Role: Engineer

qnetjoe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to qnetjoe Send a message via MSN to qnetjoe Send a message via Yahoo to qnetjoe

I would suggest doing a couple of things:

1.) Get a copy of Robolab, it is very closely based on labview, this is cover the basic data flow of controlling a robot

2.) Start developing flow chats of signals and their related processes. Understanding what signals you are working with and how to process them makes your life a lot easier! One of the big benefits of labview is that it is really easy to go from (detailed) flowchart to code.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2008, 11:33 AM
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)

Rookie Year: 2005
billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute

There is an opportunity to test-drive LabVIEW. You can download a trial copy that will run for 30 days. In addition to this, you can download exercises that will allow you to work within the LabVIEW environment. There are 11 different exercises each one is designed to expand your understanding and comfort level within LabVIEW.

From personal experience with this test-drive, I believe it is a good idea to also have "LabVIEW Measurement and Automation" from the KOP installed on the same machine. At least one of the exercises uses it to create a software input module, but it is not necessary to have that version of LabVIEW installed.
2011 Sacramento Finalist, 2011 Madtown Engineering Inspiration Award
2012 Sacramento Semi-Finals, 2012 Sacramento Innovation in Control Award, 2012 SVR Judges Award.
2012 CalGames Autonomous Challenge Award winner ($$$).
2013 Pow3rhou53 Pwnage Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC). Curie Division, Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 Capital City Classic Winner AND Runner Up.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2008, 08:11 AM
FRC #0503 (Frog Force)

brianafischer is on a distinguished road

I highly suggest your team obtains a copy of LabVIEW for Everyone (htp://www.labviewforeveryone.com).

I am an avid LabVIEW programmer, and when I was starting it was worth it's weight in gold!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2008, 02:26 PM
National Instruments
AKA: FrankenMentor
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics / Purple Haze)

Danny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Danny Diaz

The copy of LabVIEW that ALL FRC teams got in their KOP has LabVIEW training materials in it. Look for "LabVIEW Basics" CDs. In regard to the new control system, realize that you need to learn the basics of LabVIEW before learning how to program the new controller - the same way you learned how to program C before/while programming the current control system.

-Danny

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: