OCCRA
Go to Post I NEVER doubt the insanity of pig farmers. - Amanda Morrison [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Alumni
FRC #1807 (Redbird Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
pacoliketaco is a splendid one to beholdpacoliketaco is a splendid one to beholdpacoliketaco is a splendid one to beholdpacoliketaco is a splendid one to beholdpacoliketaco is a splendid one to beholdpacoliketaco is a splendid one to beholdpacoliketaco is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to pacoliketaco Send a message via Yahoo to pacoliketaco
pic: vex coaxial swerve

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2008, 07:12 PM
#8 Alliance For Life
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery
Re: pic: vex coaxial swerve

links aren't working (the ... in the middle makes them impossible to copy/paste too)

Interesting design. How do the swerve modules rotate without driving the wheels and vice versa? It appears to be all through the same axle, and unless you have plans on drilling through the vex gears (which you might) in order to make them rotate about the shaft (dead axle), I don't see how it works.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Jno
FRC #0610 (Crescent Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2004
Jonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jonathan Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery View Post
links aren't working (the ... in the middle makes them impossible to copy/paste too)

Interesting design. How do the swerve modules rotate without driving the wheels and vice versa? It appears to be all through the same axle, and unless you have plans on drilling through the vex gears (which you might) in order to make them rotate about the shaft (dead axle), I don't see how it works.
My guess is that the large gears on each assembly are not attached to the axle and just bolted into the U shape to turn, and the axles of each are driven.
K-Botics Team 2809 Founding Mentor ('09-'11)
Queen's University Mechanical Engineering, Applied Science '11

Crescent Robotics Team 610 Alumni
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Alumni
FRC #1807 (Redbird Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
pacoliketaco is a splendid one to beholdpacoliketaco is a splendid one to beholdpacoliketaco is a splendid one to beholdpacoliketaco is a splendid one to beholdpacoliketaco is a splendid one to beholdpacoliketaco is a splendid one to beholdpacoliketaco is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to pacoliketaco Send a message via Yahoo to pacoliketaco

that was my goal. i think i have enough of those gears to sacrifice 4. although it was suggested on the vexforum that i stabilize the driven shaft more.

2009 NYC Winner - 56 and 1796
(2009 Regional Record: 18-0-7 wins/ties/losses)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2008, 08:23 PM
AKA: Bates
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS)
Team Role: Mechanical

Andrew Bates has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Bates has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Bates has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Bates has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Bates has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Bates has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Bates has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Bates has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Bates has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Bates has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Bates has a reputation beyond repute

Nice, did you consider using the actual swerve drive modules? I think you could.
ME Student at Northeastern University, Captain of the NUTRONs #125 FRC

Former member of VEXELLENT and Cranbrook Robotics
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2008, 09:36 PM
5th Gear Developer & Mentor
AKA: Blake Ross
VRC #0042 (Mostly Harmless)

Rookie Year: 2006
gblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacoliketaco View Post
that was my goal. i think i have enough of those gears to sacrifice 4. although it was suggested on the vexforum that i stabilize the driven shaft more.
plt - Here are links to some pics of swerve modules I built. They have the robot chassis supported by 1/4" standoffs that rest on 60-tooth gears that for the tops of the swerve modules. The method might be useful for you.
Pic #0
Pic #1
Pic #2
Pic #3
Pic #4

I want to figure out how to create an even stronger connection between the chassis and swerve modules. I figure that if we were to try to use our designs in a competition, during the pushing and shoving that occurs in them, the axles in our designs (that allow the modules to swerve) will be the point where they bend and break.

I have toyed with the idea of sandwiching an 84-tooth gear between some plates and standoffs. 12-tooth gears around the edges of the 84 could brace it against pure lateral loads and the plates (probably augmented with stand-offs) would prevent twisting about the point where the module's axle enters the chassis frame.

The problem with what I outline above is that if the plates aren't cut to create a circular hole (an annoying expense) that exposes the 84-tooth's mounting holes and allows them to stay exposed as the 84-tooth turns; the connections between the 84-tooth and the rest of the module collide with the framing that holds the 84-tooth (in my imagination ). Maybe you can come up with a rugged way to bring the idea to fruition without ruining too much metal for other purposes.

Blake
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2008, 10:34 PM
AKA: Bates
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS)
Team Role: Mechanical

Andrew Bates has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Bates has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Bates has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Bates has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Bates has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Bates has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Bates has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Bates has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Bates has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Bates has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Bates has a reputation beyond repute

Something I saw in Atlanta which sounds similar to what you might be trying. A team built a turntable using an 84tooth gear. They had it set right on a large flat plate which gave it stability. From talking to them it sounded like it was actually quite sturdy.

Unfortunately it would appear that I have lost the picture I took. If anyone knows the team that did this please post, they were in franklin I believe.
ME Student at Northeastern University, Captain of the NUTRONs #125 FRC

Former member of VEXELLENT and Cranbrook Robotics
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2008, 11:11 PM
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: Arthur Dutra IV; NERD #18
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
artdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond repute

This looks like a really good start to a coaxial swerve drive.

However, I may offer some advice. One the swerve modules, you may want to consider using angle, C-channel, or a wider plate instead of the single 1x steel bar. The 1x steel bar will most likely flex somewhat, and without any sort of threaded beams (or something similar) between them to lessen the impacts of the flex, it may cause binding issues on the axles.

世上无难事,只怕有心人.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: