OCCRA
Go to Post You win Worlds by innovation. You win Worlds by determination. You win Worlds by engineering a robot so solid, that it successfully completes the game. - Zach O [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Back in the Game
AKA: Ed Venator
FRC #2399
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
FourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud ofFourPenguins has much to be proud of
Responsibilties of a Captain

This is a follow-up to my previous thread, "Responsibilities of a Mentor."

Most teams have a student captain or captains. They may go by the title of President, Captain, or Leader, but they are all functionally similar. What I want to know is this:

What do you think are the responsibilities of the student captain of a team? Is this captain responsible for initiating contact with sponsors? Planning events? Coordinating robot construction? Ordering supplies? Maintaining discipline? Communication to the team?

What are the responsibilities and privileges of captains on other teams? Does your team have a handbook or training for student leadership?
-2007 New York Regional Delphi Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
-2008 New Jersey Regional Finalist, Chesapeake Regional Winner, Championship Event Overall Top Seed
HB 2399
-2009 Buckeye Regional Delphi Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award, Pittsburgh Regional GM Industrial Design Award
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Sometimes I do neat stuff.
AKA: Katie Widen
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
Katie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Katie_UPS
Re: Responsibilties of a Captain

Its kind of funny that you mention this...
My team has been having this same discussion recently.
We're accually debating over wether we need a student capitan or not.
Team Neutrino

Last edited by Katie_UPS : 05-27-2008 at 07:30 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-27-2008, 07:08 PM
Mountain Dew Bandolier Man
AKA: David Resowski
FRC #0910 (Foley Freeze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Herodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond repute

The job of all leaders is to prepare those they lead to take their place. As the mechanical captain this past year I found the most important, and often the hardest job was teaching the students who I lead to be the new mechanical captain. I had to teach them to use the machines, or teach them to try again when a part just doesn't quite come out the way they wanted to. I had to teach them to think ahead, and to use their brains when working. I feel confident they can take my place now.
2009 Detroit District Finalists - Thanks to 1856 and 2620
2009 Kettering District Quarter-Finalists - Thanks to 1504 and 1025.
2008 Kettering Kickoff Champions - Thanks to 67, 1075 & 2619
2008 MARC Finalists - thanks 67 & 226
2008 Great Lakes Finalists - thanks 66 & 217
2008 Western Michigan Semi-Finalists - thanks 2337 and 1504
2008 GLR Judges Award Winner
2007 Curie Division Champions - thanks 330 and 1270
2007 ARC Champions (13 and 0, plus scoring a double-keeper!) - thanks 1625 and 313
2007 MARC Champions - thanks 1732 and 1023
2007 Xerox Creativity Award - Western Michign
2006 I.R.I. Champions - thanks 71 and 1625
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Got my degree and ready for more!
AKA: Dan
FRC #0166 (Chop Shop)

Rookie Year: 2004
InfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow we are having the very same discussion on our Yahoo Group forums.

We also have a job description section at our Team Wiki.

http://www.chopshop166.com/pmwiki/pm...n.TeamCaptains
Who knew silence could be so loud?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-27-2008, 09:52 PM
AKA: Ellen McIsaac
FRC #1124 (ÜberBots)

smurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to smurfgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoX14 View Post
We also have a job description section at our Team Wiki.
This is an aside... but I thought we were the only team with a wiki.

Our team has a 5-person student management team which has taken on a lot of the responsibilities that our mentors used to have to do. Our mentors are now less overwhelmed, and the students now feel more directly involved in the processes and feel a greater sense of responsibility for and connection with our achievements. For the people who question the necessity of a student captain (or management team, in our case), I think this is a good justification.

As for the responsibilities of the captain specifically ("president" on our team), on our team the president is basically a team representative. The president represents the team for sponsors, takes all student input and brings it to management team meetings to help with decisions, represents students for sponsor, and communicates with the school. (S)he runs the team meetings each night, plans events, and generally helps to keep everything on track.

I'm giving a link to our 2007-2008 team handbook, which describes the responsibilities and qualifications of this year's management team on page 5. We've since tweaked some things for next year's team, but the new handbook isn't finalized. http://uberbots.org/2008/files/handbook.pdf
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Lady Logistics
AKA: Renee
no team

Littleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond reputeLittleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond reputeLittleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond reputeLittleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond reputeLittleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond reputeLittleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond reputeLittleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond reputeLittleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond reputeLittleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond reputeLittleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond reputeLittleswimmer14 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Littleswimmer14

Right now our team normally runs with two Co-Captains. One is head of Build, the other is head of Logistics. Build runs the design, build, and drive aspects. Logistics handles chairmans, media, and image parts of the team. Under the Co-Captains you have heads of a section, Build, Chairmans, Drive, Design, Logistics, etc. depending on the number of people we have on the team. The Co-Captains work with the heads to coordinate everything, and the mentors work in a sub-group with the head.

From there rookies come in and work under a head to learn about the sub-group. After the first year they should have an idea of what they want to. We might be changing this system, to make it more mentor run, or we may be keeping it more student run for next year. We're not sure what we want to do yet.

Mentor FRC 4690, 4545, 1529 ~ FRC 1675 Alumni
Co-Founder of Assisting Creative Energy - www.assistingcreativeenergy.com
Founder of the MN Alumni Organization, GO FIRST - Est. 2009
2011-2014 NEMO/Roundtable Meeting Facilitator- WI, IL, MN, IN
2012- 2013 FSM- MN & FRC 3184 Mentor
2013 - 2014 FIRST Vista - IN

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2008, 01:44 AM
will return to 766 soon!
AKA: Mika Lai
FRC #0766 (M-A Bears)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
Blue_Mist is a jewel in the roughBlue_Mist is a jewel in the roughBlue_Mist is a jewel in the rough

Two Co-Presidents, self-nominated this year for elections. They both take care of building the robot and papers, depending on the situation. Leadership seems to change form with each new set of Co-Presidents we get each year (although this year they're the same as last year...).

Interestingly enough, we've also ended up with Vice Presidents of Recruitment, Human Resources, and Team Spirit, chosen by the Co-Presidents. So collectively, we have no team captains, but we do have a five-person Executive Closet. Just like the U.S. Cabinet, but more efficient. A Closet stores useful things, while personally I think a Cabinet stores things on display.

Also, we have (three or four people) committees who run things like Publicity and Fundraising. This encompasses nearly the entire team! And several people hold more than one position...

On a side note, since we only have three people next year who are guaranteed members and not seniors, the Vice-President of Recruitment may exercise a bit more power. Leadership on our team adjusts as necessary. So far it's been quite effective.

And on special privileges, I haven't seen any really major ones (except for that elusive college application booster... ). Co-President seems to mean more responsibility only, which is a useful way of making sure that our leaders are really dedicated. Although, we really haven't had to worry. People vote for those they trust to do a good job. (Ack! So many emoticons!)

"Show a girl how to use a wrench, and she'll put those skills to use for a lifetime. Hand it to her and tell her she's probably better off shopping, and she'll clonk you over the head with it, do your pneumatics system, and CAD the robot." -Amanda Morrison

'09

Last edited by Blue_Mist : 05-30-2008 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Add something...
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2008, 06:00 AM
Biggest FIRST addict in Israel
AKA: Nir Levanon
FRC #2230 (Zcharia's Angels)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2007
Bomberofdoom has a reputation beyond reputeBomberofdoom has a reputation beyond reputeBomberofdoom has a reputation beyond reputeBomberofdoom has a reputation beyond reputeBomberofdoom has a reputation beyond reputeBomberofdoom has a reputation beyond reputeBomberofdoom has a reputation beyond reputeBomberofdoom has a reputation beyond reputeBomberofdoom has a reputation beyond reputeBomberofdoom has a reputation beyond reputeBomberofdoom has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Bomberofdoom Send a message via Skype™ to Bomberofdoom

Well that's great....I just posted a 100 line reply...and CD's server just restarted....that's wonderful....

Sorry, don't feel like writing it again.. (-_-')

2009 Microsoft Israel FRC Regional Winners!
2009 Microsoft Israel FRC Regional Chairman's Award Winners!!!
---------------------------------
2008 Microsoft Israel FRC Regional semi-finalist.
2008 Microsoft Israel FRC Regional Delphi's "Driving Tommorow's Technology" Award winner.
2008 Robot Driver
---------------------------------
2007 GM/Technion Israel FRC Regional semi-Finalist.
2007 GM/Technion Israel FRC Regional Xerox Creativity Award winner.
2007 Robot Driver.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-01-2008, 07:00 AM
FIRST's Spare, Queuer &amp; Tech guy =)
AKA: Mike M. / Mouse =)
no team (FRC Volunteer)

Rookie Year: 2001
mtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to mtaman02 Send a message via Yahoo to mtaman02

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourPenguins View Post
This is a follow-up to my previous thread, "Responsibilities of a Mentor."

What do you think are the responsibilities of the student captain of a team? Is this captain responsible for initiating contact with sponsors? Planning events? Coordinating robot construction? Ordering supplies? Maintaining discipline? Communication to the team?

What are the responsibilities and privileges of captains on other teams? Does your team have a handbook or training for student leadership?
To Answer #1, The Job of the student captain is to follow orders from the mentors and pass those orders around and make sure that all gets accomplished. Their job should be to assign specific tasks to individuals OR groups of students on the team and create committees to handle said tasks. The leaders of those committees are responsible for making sure that those under their command are doing what they're suppose to and to notify the student captain and mentors any lack of participation by the people under their command. The Sub Captains are responsible for holding meetings and to update the chain of command of their progress right down to the smallest detail. It is also the job of the captain to get their hands dirty and be involved w/ almost everything so that they can help the committees properly. You don't need to know EVERYTHING bu you should have a very good idea of whats suppose to go on in each category so that if someone misses something they can pick up on it and bring it to that persons attention.

To Answer #2, There shouldn't be any special privelages that seperate a regular student member and the student captain. Everyone should have equal privelages.

I was a captain for my final year in HS and it came to me naturally as time went on. I recieved no training from mentors OR students. I did my best to know what was going on in every committee so that I can help out as best I can. I also helped the team contact keep team related records and such in check and only stepped in on the committees to check on their progress. Basically I was a Jack of all trades on the basic level. As far as privelages were concerned I got the same treatment on the team got and nothing more. If I slacked off I was warned and told to correct it (which goes for school work and robotics work). Team Captains should lead by example and the students on the team will follow suit. This helps to make sure members on the team are behaving appropriately on and off the field. When a team member messes up, it makes the student captain look bad as well as the entire team, if the student captain messes up it makes the mentors look bad and the team, if the mentors mess up it makes the district look bad. So on and so forth.

As a captain you should as I said before lead by example in a positive way, know whats going on, assist the team members and mentors and the rest of the team will follow suit and any dead weight can be weeded out from there. When the student captain isn't doing their job the members under his command aren't doing their job either.
FRC: NYC Remote Kickoff '04 & NYC Regionals '04-'07 ,'10-'13 & NJ Regionals '06-'10, Finger Lakes Regional '09 & SBPLI Regional '08-'13 and the World Championship in '05 (Galileo Field) '07 (Newton Field) '09 (Practice Fields Attendant / FTA(A)), CeBIT Convention in '04 & NextFEST in '06 both held @ the Javitts Center, Monty Madness '07-'10, Panda-monium '08, B.Eruption '08 & '09, Ramp Riot '08, PARC '09 & '10, BR^2 '09 & Wol. Inv. '09 -'12
2013 FIRST Robotics Off Season Events that I hope to volunteer at:
Where is Wolcott Invitational
2013 FIRST Robotics Events that I will be volunteering at:
SBPLI Reg.
Volunteer Resume:
Alt & Lead Team Queuer, Field Repair/Reset, Field Setup/Breakdown, Spare Parts Attendant, Field Power Controller/Score Keeper, Co-Emcee & Official Scorer, Control System Advisor, FIRST Tech Advisor Assistant & recently Practice Field Attendant.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Officer, Intergalactic Space Patrol
FRC #1418 (Vae Victus)

CommanderRachek can only hope to improve

This is something that is going to vary widely depending on the size of your team. In a large team, things are going to be more of a bureaucracy, with individual members' roles fairly rigidly separated. My team was pretty small, so everybody wore a lot of different hats. I did a fair bit of design and construction, but what you could call my leadership-specific duties were mostly systems integration (making sure all the pieces fit together), resources management (making sure money and man hours were spent wisely), and time management (keeping on schedule). I also tried to make a point of arriving early to every meeting and being the last one to leave. When we knew a snowstorm was coming in, I took the robot home and organized a build session at my house during the pursuant snow day. At competitions, I was in the coach position on the drive team, so I always was with the drivers and human player when we went to talk to other teams, and I made sure we were all together and ready to queue on time. Throughout the season, our triumvirate of captains had final say on pretty much all design and strategy decisions.

In the off season, me and my co-captains wrote our share of letters to potential sponsors, but our chief mentor was always the primary point of contact in those sorts of relationships.

Minor discipline issues can be dealt with by the captain; by minor, I mean things like getting people back on task after a short break, reminding individuals to call the next time they're going to be late to a build session, or politely telling two students who are having a personal spat to take it outside. Mentors should always handle more serious discipline issues; basically, this means any situation where the perpetrator doesn't respect the captain's authority or where the captain may have a conflict of interest. A mentor should also handle any situation in which a student is being such a pill that they have to be asked to leave the shop and not come back, or must be referred to school authorities for punishment; an adult is orders of magnitude more likely to be able to do this in a tactful and appropriate manner. This is all the more true when the mentor is a teacher and the team is on school property.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: