OCCRA
Go to Post If you are old then our lead mentor is ancient. Oh wait, he is. Oh wait, that makes me ancienter. - JaneYoung [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2008, 09:06 PM
2009 Control System Beta Test Team
FRC #0842 (Formerly 39)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2007
BornaE has a brilliant futureBornaE has a brilliant futureBornaE has a brilliant futureBornaE has a brilliant futureBornaE has a brilliant futureBornaE has a brilliant futureBornaE has a brilliant futureBornaE has a brilliant futureBornaE has a brilliant futureBornaE has a brilliant futureBornaE has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to BornaE
SSH on VB6

This is not robotics related, but there are a lot of helpful programmers here so I thought i can ask.

I am trying to make a GUI interface for a system that is controlled via command line over SSH.

if it was telnet, it would have been no problem with winsock, but I cant find an SSH activeX or some code to do the encryption.

I rather not code the SSH encryption myself so it would be great. if anyone can help me to find some ActiveX component, or some code to do that.

Thanks in advanced!!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2008, 10:56 PM
FRC #0469 (Las Guerrillas)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2006
tdlrali has much to be proud oftdlrali has much to be proud oftdlrali has much to be proud oftdlrali has much to be proud oftdlrali has much to be proud oftdlrali has much to be proud oftdlrali has much to be proud oftdlrali has much to be proud of
Re: SSH on VB6

No VB advice here, but PuTTY has a command line interface that you could use to execute commands over SSH. If you place the code to be executed in a shell script on the remote server, you could execute it in one line.

There might even be a dll interface based on putty, try googling...
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2008, 01:16 PM
no team
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2006
whitetiger0990 is a glorious beacon of lightwhitetiger0990 is a glorious beacon of lightwhitetiger0990 is a glorious beacon of lightwhitetiger0990 is a glorious beacon of lightwhitetiger0990 is a glorious beacon of light

SSH can forward ports. So I'd recommend using PuTTY and tunneling. Connect to it (which is on localhost) and it'll be forwarded to the server.

http://www.cs.uu.nl/technical/servic...y/puttyfw.html

Then you can run your own application on the server and a client and use PuTTY to assist with the connection. For instance, I'm forwarding port 139 from a local loopback device to my samba server and then I connect to it with windows. =) Much better than exposing 139 to the world.

If this sounds like something you might want to try, and you're confused. Just PM me.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2008, 12:23 PM
FRC #1178 (DURT)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2008
dpeterson3 is a jewel in the roughdpeterson3 is a jewel in the roughdpeterson3 is a jewel in the roughdpeterson3 is a jewel in the rough

I doubt you will find anything. SSH is a linux server and VB is designed for windows. You might be able to connect to Samba from VB. You might want to check out a project called CYGWIN on
http://sourceforge.net
Just put it in the search bar and you will get around 100 hits. The origional goal of the projec twas to create a SSH command line enviroment for Windows. You might look at their source code to see how they did it. I think it is in C, though.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2008, 04:35 PM
AKA: Brennan Ashton
FRC #2605 (A2D_16)
Team Role: Leadership

comphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to beholdcomphappy is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to comphappy

sorry but you are wrong. SSH is a protocol not a server. Also your comment about cygwin is off as well, it "is a collection of tools originally developed by Cygnus Solutions to provide in Microsoft Windows a command line and programming interface familiar to Unix users" ssh would be just one of the many commands and is not a really core feature. Putty and others do that much simpler and smaller.

Now to anwser the OP question, there are many options out there here is one that is not free but there is a trial version of:
http://www.ssh-activex.com/
and
http://3sp.com/en/maverick-net/
and
http://www.eldos.com/sbb/activex-ssh.php
and
http://www.jscape.com/sshfactorydotnet/
and a free .NET port for c# that you could modify to VB without too much trouble.... But then one my ask why are you using a language like VB to start with....
http://www.tamirgal.com/home/dev.aspx?Item=sharpSsh
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2008, 06:27 PM
FRC #1178 (DURT)
Team Role: Alumni

dpeterson3 is a jewel in the roughdpeterson3 is a jewel in the roughdpeterson3 is a jewel in the roughdpeterson3 is a jewel in the rough

Sorry for the mistake. I read somewhere that cygwin was designed to communicate via SSH. I guess I wasn't clear on the server part. I know it is a protocal. I was trying to say that SSH is usually a server protocal. I was refering to servers using the SSH protocal. Thanks for correcting me.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: