Go to Post Heidi's best picture ever - and she didn't even have to Photoshop this one! - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > National Instruments LabVIEW and Data Acquisition
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Engineering Program Management
VRC #8081 (STEMRobotics / DEWBots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Foster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond repute
Laptop for FRC Labview: Recommendation Wanted

Summary: I'm looking for a low cost, but decent performing laptop for Labview training.

We are going to start training on Labview for our team. I'd like to be able to get some laptops for the students to use. The system specs from NI say Pentium with 1GB of memory and a screen with 1024 x 768 pixels as a recommended system.

Systems like the Dell Inspiron Mini 12 with the 1.3 Ghz Atom looks like they will fit in that spec range. Some of the other mini-books only have 1024*600 displays, so that excludes them. I'm also thinking that the 9" screens will be a problem with complex Labview programs.

Does anyone have any experience with the Atom based laptops running Labview?

I'm also looking at systems that are going to be able to stand up to a seasons worth of use (and abuse) programming. My experiences has been that the real cheap laptops come apart at the hinges or that the cases crack. I don't want to replace them next year.

Any laptop recommendations?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Building cars now....
AKA: Tyler Moser
FRC #2016 (Mighty Monkey Wrenches)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Lowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond reputeLowfategg has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lowfategg Send a message via Skype™ to Lowfategg
Re: Laptop for FRC Labview: Recommendation Wanted

May I ask why you are looking a mini laptops? Most of the time they are not recommended for programming purely because of screen size. 9" is tiny even if the resolution is great, I would at least get something like 14.1" display.

Also, price wise you can pick up a good 15.4" laptop for around $400-500 (put your money into the CPU and ram).

Mightly Monkey Wrenches FRC #2016 - 2010-12 (Mentor)

Past: FTC #74, FVC #3179, FVC #73, FRC #303, FRC #2753

Last edited by Lowfategg : 11-22-2008 at 07:57 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Laptop for FRC Labview: Recommendation Wanted

I've run LabVIEW on an ASUS EeePC 1000HD. The celeron processor is similar in speed to an Atom, and is on the slow end for LabVIEW, but not too bad. The screen resolution is the biggest problem for a graphical language like LabVIEW.

The other problem with the cheap netbooks is small flash hard drives. The FRC LabVIEW install requires 3.6 gigs of space, which means the ones with 4 gig drives won't work.

I agree that the cases of many cheap laptops don't handle a lot of abuse. However, you can get Dell Latitudes (the corporate line) for less then $700 which should hold up better. The Dell Inspiron 1525's hinges and case feel better then the Dell Inspiron 1405 that I bought 2 years ago, so they may be improving.

Last edited by Joe Ross : 11-22-2008 at 08:25 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: