OCCRA
Go to Post "THAT'S NOT SAFE!" "But I'm wearing safety goggles!" - Samheartsrobots [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Control System > FRC Control System
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-26-2008, 07:01 PM
FRC #0115 (Monta Vista Robotics Team (MVRT))
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Ashwin is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Ashwin
New Control System - Wireless Problems

When running the benchtest to confirm the wireless, we hooked up everything according to the manual, section 5.6 (rev .3). After setting up everything as specified, we tried to connect to the IP through the laptop, but we were unable to access the wireless router through the driver's station. When we connected the laptop directly to the WRT610N Wireless Router, we were able to run through the configuration status, however, when we tried to configure the WRT600N, we were unable to connect through the IP specified. We made sure our connections were correct, and our laptop is set up as specified. Any idea how to continue from here?
MVRT - Monta Vista Robotics Team, Team #115
(Student Leader - Engineering, Driver, Coach - 2005-2009)
(Mentor - 2010-??)

2010 Chairman's Award Silicon Valley Regional
2009 Engineering Inspiration Sacramento Regional
2008 & 2012 Championship Best Website Award
Check it out - www.mvrt.com
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-26-2008, 07:34 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Control System - Wireless Problems

Did you connect to the WRT600N and configure it before you changed the IP on your computer?

If you have configured all the IP address as per the instructions then the problem is probably with the security settings.

Set up the passphrase on both the router and game adapter or disable the wireless security. They left that part out of the manual.

2012 Boilermaker Engineering Excellence Award
2010 Boilermaker Rockwell Innovation in Control Award.
2009 Buckeye J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2009 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2008 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2007 St Louis Regional Winners
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Cookie
AKA: Seth Cook
FRC #4272

Rookie Year: 2007
cooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to cooker52 Send a message via Skype™ to cooker52

We (1501) had the same trouble, our wireless wouldn't work. When we ran through the manual 5 times, it still didn't work. What we found out is that the manual tells you to set the IP address of your computer to be the same as the WRT600N. If you look at one of the diagrams earlier in Chapter 5, it shows the setup of the devices with the IP addresses, and the PC IP Address is supposed to be 10.xx.yy.6, not 10.xx.yy.1. Once we did that, it worked just fine, as far as I know (I got a call once it was working).

Good luck

“If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.” Lance Armstrong

Monocoque, what a beautiful thing.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Travis Hoffman's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Canada!!!!!!!11111!!111
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Travis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker52 View Post
We (1501) had the same trouble, our wireless wouldn't work. When we ran through the manual 5 times, it still didn't work. What we found out is that the manual tells you to set the IP address of your computer to be the same as the WRT600N. If you look at one of the diagrams earlier in Chapter 5, it shows the setup of the devices with the IP addresses, and the PC IP Address is supposed to be 10.xx.yy.6, not 10.xx.yy.1. Once we did that, it worked just fine, as far as I know (I got a call once it was working).

Good luck
This and other noted documentation errors here and there underscore the need for FIRST to release typo-corrected documentation on their site ASAP. Even the most basic typo can lead to hours of delay and frustration for teams who are already on a compressed learning schedule as it is.
NEOFRA / Delphi E.L.I.T.E. FLL Regional Partner
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Cookie
AKA: Seth Cook
FRC #4272

Rookie Year: 2007
cooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant futurecooker52 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to cooker52 Send a message via Skype™ to cooker52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Hoffman View Post
This and other noted documentation errors here and there underscore the need for FIRST to release typo-corrected documentation on their site ASAP. Even the most basic typo can lead to hours of delay and frustration for teams who are already on a compressed learning schedule as it is.
Makes me glad that they sent out a lot of the systems out before kick-off. It'll definitely make the build season easier. Plus it should help the beta teams out by lightening the load on their shoulders.

“If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.” Lance Armstrong

Monocoque, what a beautiful thing.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Mentor - 2826
AKA: Jake Fischer
FRC #2826 (Wave Robotics)

trilogy2826 has a reputation beyond reputetrilogy2826 has a reputation beyond reputetrilogy2826 has a reputation beyond reputetrilogy2826 has a reputation beyond reputetrilogy2826 has a reputation beyond reputetrilogy2826 has a reputation beyond reputetrilogy2826 has a reputation beyond reputetrilogy2826 has a reputation beyond reputetrilogy2826 has a reputation beyond reputetrilogy2826 has a reputation beyond reputetrilogy2826 has a reputation beyond repute

The other main issue with wireless our team had was with the security settings. In Chap 5 of the control system manual, they do not tell you to either enable security in the WGA or disable it in the WRT. Out of the box and following the manual does not have the security settings matched. If you can ping all of the devices individually when they are connected with cables, but cannot ping the WGA when it is disconnected from the WRT, then that is the clue that the security settings are not correct. You can either disable security on the WRT, or enable the matching security protocol on the WGA (make sure you get the encryption key, AKA SSID key, from the WRT). Also, make sure that you cycle the power to the DS, WRT and WGA, the WRT and WGA; reboots do not get the job done. I tested this many ways with the security configs and they only work when they are matched. Now the interesting question is (besides did we do something stupid and are the only ones with this issue?) is that which security setting is correct (WPA2 or disabled, depending on the defaults)? Mama told me never to leave an access point open, so my bet is on WPA2.

Last edited by trilogy2826 : 11-26-2008 at 09:20 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2008, 11:57 PM
AKA: Jeff Austin
FRC #2930 (The Taterbotz)

Rookie Year: 2005
jaustin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone! It appears we are a little behind everyone else, but I thought I would post this. We have gotten through the entire benchtop test except the wireless portion. We have hooked it all up per the manual but nothing happens in teleop mode when we are un-tethered. I'm ready to do all the firm ware updates but I've been warned so many times to not do any updates untill we have completed the entire benchtop test suite that I am a bit gun shy of moving on right now. Has anyone had similar problems or have any advice? Can we go ahead and put in the firm ware updates? Thanks!!

Jeff Austin
Mentor
Team 2930
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Itinerant Programmer
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

The wireless setup (1.6.6) comes after the firmware upgrade (1.6.5), so you're safe to proceed.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2008, 05:54 PM
... more like a temperate breeze
AKA: Chris Gregory
FRC #1089 (Team Mercury)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2003
galewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to galewind

do you think that we'll be using our own routers during the competition? If not, will there be standards for what is and isn't allowed for encryption at the event?
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Itinerant Programmer
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

We won't be using our routers at the event.
The competition port handles all the communication just as in year's past.
The DS will be powered through that as well.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2008, 10:33 PM
FRC #1089 (Team Mercury)

galewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond reputegalewind has a reputation beyond repute

if we set our wireless bridges to authenticate with security on our routher, though, isn't that going to cause an issue when it tries to authenticate at the competition via a different means of communication?
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Questionable???
FRC #0115 (MVRT)
Team Role: Mechanical

Steigerwald is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Steigerwald

There is no need for security. So there will be no problem. I think the reason they had us all set up IPs standard was so that there would be no problem. I don't think that they will make us use a separate router cause that would require 3 plugs to be plugged into the driver station then. The DB-9 port, a RJ-45 port and a power connection. I would guess that they will have us keep the router and use it. Otherwise, why buy the most expensive router that linksys makes???
MVRT - Monta Vista Robotics Team #115

2009 Robot El Toro 13

2009 Davis Sacramento Regional Finalist
2009 Davis Sacramento Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2009 Davis Sacramento Regional Best Website Award
2008 Championship Best Website Award
2008 Davis Sacramento Regional Best Website Award
2008 San Jose Best Website Award
2007 Davis Sacramento Regional Best Website Award
2006 San Jose Best Website Award
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2008, 09:36 AM
FRC #1089 (Team Mercury)

if a team uses no wireless security and leaves their passwords as default on their wireless devices, what's to stop someone else from going in and changing passwords and wireless configuration settings from underneath of them, causing unnecessary stress on these teams? What do we have to prevent teams that don't exhibit gracious professionalism from doing nasty things with readily-available and commonly-accepted devices over a universally-used transmission protocol?

Am I misunderstanding this? Am I over-paranoid? Is this something that has been thought-through and just not shared with us yet?
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2008, 09:38 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
EricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to EricVanWyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by galewind View Post
Is this something that has been thought-through and just not shared with us yet?
Yes.

Security is very important during competition. Usability is very important always. Therefore, you have an unsecured but easy to use system that will be locked down when it needs to be.

Last edited by EricVanWyk : 12-11-2008 at 09:43 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: