Go to Post Never, Never tell a prospective mentor what the actual job description is. You need to get them hooked first. :D - BJT [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum > FIRST E-Mail Blast Archive
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-31-2008, 10:27 AM
Itinerant Programmer
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute
**FIRST EMAIL**/Competition Manual Q & A System Live on Wednesday, January 7th, 2009

Greetings Teams:

FIRST recognizes that teams may have questions about game rules, robot construction, event logistics, and more. FIRST will offer a Question & Answer System (Q&A), on FIRST Forums, which will allow teams to post questions pertaining to a specific section within the 2009 FIRST Robotics Competition Manual <http://www.usfirst.org/WorkArea/linkit.aspx?LinkIdentifier=id&ItemID=452> . Your posted questions will be reviewed by the appropriate moderator and answered in a timely manner. The 2009 Question & Answer System, http://forums.usfirst.org/, will go live on the FIRST Forums Wednesday, January 7th at Noon EST.

In order to access the Q&A system, your teamís specific login info can be found on the Team Summary page in your TIMS record. Please assign one individual from your team to act as the Team Rules Expert and only share your team's unique User Name and Password with him/her. This Team Rules Expert should be the only person responsible for posting questions to the Q&A System.

Before posting a question on the Q&A System, we encourage teams to look for the answers to questions first within the 2009 FRC Manual and Team Updates. You can review these documents here: http://www.usfirst.org/community/frc...nt.aspx?id=960.

Go Teams!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC Key Volunteer Trainer
AKA: CrazyNate
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Nate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Nate Smith Send a message via Yahoo to Nate Smith
Re: **FIRST EMAIL**/Competition Manual Q & A System Live on Wednesday, January 7th, 2

You know, at first I looked at this and thought, "what about all the questions the first couple of days???" Then I thought about this again, and realized...this will make sure that people actually read the manual before asking a question...

No real point to this post, but I'm sure other people were having the same thought about this as I did at first, so I thought I would post...
returning for 2011? only time will tell...
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-31-2008, 11:40 AM
I REALLY want to be Andy Baker
FRC #1018 (RoboDevils)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Stu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Stu Bloom Send a message via Yahoo to Stu Bloom Send a message via Skype™ to Stu Bloom
Re: **FIRST EMAIL**/Competition Manual Q & A System Live on Wednesday, January 7th, 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Smith View Post
You know, at first I looked at this and thought, "what about all the questions the first couple of days???" Then I thought about this again, and realized...this will make sure that people actually read the manual before asking a question...

No real point to this post, but I'm sure other people were having the same thought about this as I did at first, so I thought I would post...
How I wish that were true. As an experienced FIRST referee one of my pet peeves is people not knowing the rules ... and even worse - when the drive team shows up at the field and doesn't have a clue !! Happens all the time.

This year, for the first time, our team members will have to pass a rules test if they want to travel.

Sorry ... I know this is O/T ... can't help myself ...
FIRST Team 1018 - Pike HS RoboDevils
My activity for 2012:
  • Boilermaker planning committee
  • Israel Head Ref - DONE (and it was FANTASTIC!)
  • Boilermaker Regional (with 1018) - DONE
  • Midwest Head Ref - DONE
  • WORLD Championships (with 1018) - DONE
  • IRI Head Ref - DONE
  • CAGE Match Head Ref
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-31-2008, 05:37 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Quote:

On that note...

I was wondering if CD's Rules/Strategy forum could be "temporarily unavailable" for the 3rd and 4th of January. It's too often used as a substitute for the official Q&A...
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bah. They'll just ask them here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
On that note...

I was wondering if CD's Rules/Strategy forum could be "temporarily unavailable" for the 3rd and 4th of January. It's too often used as a substitute for the official Q&A...
Naah. If Rules & Strategy is closed, they'll just ask them in General or some other inappropriate forum. Then Brandon will have to move them all back to the right place.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-01-2009, 09:22 AM
AKA: Ellen McIsaac
FRC #1124 (‹berBots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
smurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to smurfgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryVoshol
Naah. If Rules & Strategy is closed, they'll just ask them in General or some other inappropriate forum. Then Brandon will have to move them all back to the right place.
Agreed. You're never going to get rid of the problem completely. Also, it isn't a section for just Q&A, people discuss rules and strategy there, and people bring up things like YMTC. I don't know if there will be that much strategy or YMTC going on in the first two days, but people are definitely going to want to discuss the rules.

One thing we can all do to help is to remind our own team members (especially newer members who haven't been through the process before) is to let them know that if they have a question, they should check the relevant manual sections, check for manual updates, and discuss with other teammates before they go posting questions on Chief Delphi and the Q&A. I'm sure people will still ask things that are blatantly in the manual, but it will probably be a little less frequent.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: