OCCRA
Go to Post At least try to make sure other teams are aware of you. Don't be obnoxious, but don't be a wall flower either. - Joe Johnson [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison
Coefficient of Friction on Carpet?

Has anyone experimentally determined the coefficient of friction between the Rover Wheel and the carpet?

I probably can't our carpet to the lab until the weekend, so if nobody manages to figure this out before then, I'll try to share our test results.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:04 PM
people have lives during January?!?
AKA: Bryan
FRC #2240 (Brute Force)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2009
viperred396 has a spectacular aura aboutviperred396 has a spectacular aura aboutviperred396 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Coefficient of Friction on Carpet?

The floor the the Game is not made of carpet so you would not want to cover your lab in it i don't think
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Engineering Mentor
FRC #0254 (Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Richard McClellan has much to be proud ofRichard McClellan has much to be proud ofRichard McClellan has much to be proud ofRichard McClellan has much to be proud ofRichard McClellan has much to be proud ofRichard McClellan has much to be proud ofRichard McClellan has much to be proud ofRichard McClellan has much to be proud ofRichard McClellan has much to be proud ofRichard McClellan has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Richard McClellan

The border of the field is made of carpet.
Current Mentor for 254 | Cheesy Poofs | 2013
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:12 PM
AKA: Shannon
FRC #0316
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2008
shannieliz is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah
i was wondering the same thing about the rover wheels and the carpet around the edge.
but my question is, with the bumpers and everyone hitting the walls a lot, how will it really affect the teams? because it's not that much carpet...
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:13 PM
FIRST on my mind
AKA: Evan Raitt
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Tetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond repute

It might be something to figure out for other years. With some of the new movement tactics teams are coming up with, maybe the rover wheels would work in next year's game.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:54 PM
FRC #0201 (FEDS)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2006
neugebauer is an unknown quantity at this point

how significant is the differnce between the crater surface and the carpet? I imagine with the rover wheels that they too will slip on the carpet. Maybe not as much but for looking at the wheels I could see them slipping fairly easily as well.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2009, 09:29 PM
is having FRC withdrawal symptoms.
AKA: Steven Bell
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2005
StevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond reputeStevenB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by neugebauer View Post
how significant is the differnce between the crater surface and the carpet? I imagine with the rover wheels that they too will slip on the carpet. Maybe not as much but for looking at the wheels I could see them slipping fairly easily as well.
They do slip very easily on carpet. However, carpet is far less slick than the regolith, probably by a two or three to one margin. I don't have experimental data other than spinning the wheel on the floor with my hand, but I would guess between .1 and .2 coefficient of friction on carpet.

2005-2007: Student | Team #1519, Mechanical Mayhem | Milford, NH
2008-2011: Mentor | Team #2359, RoboLobos | Edmond, OK
2014-??: Mentor | Looking for a team...
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Where'd my wrench go?
AKA: Michael Baker
FRC #0675 (Tech High Phantom Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
Otaku has a reputation beyond reputeOtaku has a reputation beyond reputeOtaku has a reputation beyond reputeOtaku has a reputation beyond reputeOtaku has a reputation beyond reputeOtaku has a reputation beyond reputeOtaku has a reputation beyond reputeOtaku has a reputation beyond reputeOtaku has a reputation beyond reputeOtaku has a reputation beyond reputeOtaku has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Otaku Send a message via MSN to Otaku

The traction gain is almost negligible.

our raw data:
14lb dynamic (wheels slipping) pull, 60lb robot, 4wd, "smooth/regolith/etc"
16lb dynamic (wheels slipping) pull, 60lb robot, 4wd, "carpet"

that's an extra 2lb of pull while slipping, and I think the breakaway point is pretty close to 2lb extra as well (16lb smooth, 18lb carpet).

tl;dr: the problem isn't so much the floor surface as the smooth wheels.

"The [Otaku] is a simple creature." "Indeed. I cease to function when removed from a mill."
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: