OCCRA
Go to Post ...because "someone on ChiefDelphi said so," doesn't fly when your robot can't pass inspection. - Madison [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Whoa! college pilot.
AKA: vivek
FRC #2264 (trojan robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
vivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to vivek16 Send a message via MSN to vivek16
Weight of Trailers

So, what is the exact weight of the trailers? I've heard that they're 20-25 pounds or so but an exact answer would be appreciated. I realize that plywood does vary in density a little but withing half a pound overall would be an awesome estimate.

thank you, Vivek
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Taking one home in '09.
AKA: Danny McCanney
FRC #0816 (The WesTech Anomaly)

Rookie Year: 2002
Danny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant futureDanny McC has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Danny McC Send a message via MSN to Danny McC
Re: Weight of Trailers

I dont know. My one advisor said they only weigh about 15 lbs. But I have been hearing different things everywhere.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:56 AM
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Doug Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Leppard has a reputation beyond reputeDoug Leppard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Doug Leppard

We would like to know that too.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2009, 06:39 AM
Whoa! college pilot.

vivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond repute

No promises but I'll try and calculate it using inventor by setting mass properties for the model that I obtained for the trailer. I suspect an actual weigh in would be more accurate.

thanks, Vivek
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

How about the tongue weight?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2009, 10:12 PM
FRC #3573 (Ohms)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Retired Starman is a splendid one to beholdRetired Starman is a splendid one to beholdRetired Starman is a splendid one to beholdRetired Starman is a splendid one to beholdRetired Starman is a splendid one to beholdRetired Starman is a splendid one to beholdRetired Starman is a splendid one to behold

I've built parts for six trailers for the Peachtree Regional Kick-off and Scrimmage and have assembled two of them completely. I used the actual plans that FIRST uses to make the official trailers. I built ours exactly to spec except that I used Sono tube for the target rather than the HDPE. In spite of this, I have the HDPE and have weighed the trailer and appropriate amount of HDPE in place of the Sono tube.

Using bathroom scales, I find that the trailer is 35-36 pounds.

I haven't checked the tongue weight yet, but it is slightly tongue heavy. The CG is pretty high on these so a slight change in height of the tongue will change the tongue weight significantly. That shouldn't be a problem since the tongue should always be the same height above the floor.

I'll try to check the tongue weight in a day or so when I assemble another one.

I've been reading posts and notice that not enough attention has been paid to the problems that the trailer will cause. With robot, bumpers, battery and a 35 pound trailer, plus some moon rocks you are up around 180-190 pounds!

Retired Starman
Mentor
Team 1648
Atlanta, GA
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:12 PM

gregscott is an unknown quantity at this point

Just making sure...and I really appreciate the information, I do understand how much the trailer will effect vehicle dynamics...you used alumalite and coroplast for these trailers and not plywood? They are both very lightweight materials.

Thanks again,

Greg
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:15 PM
AKA: Dan Marino
FRC #2574 (Robohuskie)

DM7000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DM7000

I think the trailers are around 40 pounds or so plus the weight of the balls.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Whoa! college pilot.

Retired Starman (or anyone else who had built their trailers exactly to FIRST's specs),

Can you please measure the weight of the trailer without and with balls loaded on scales accurate to the .1 lbs?

The mass of the trailer is REALLY going to make a difference in driving this year.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2009, 06:40 PM
FRC #0291 (CIA Team 291)

Rookie Year: 2008
BetsySpike is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BetsySpike

We should be done with our trailer tonight or tomorrow according to all the FIRST specs. I will post the weight as soon as possible.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Life's Good
AKA: Kate Leipold
FRC #0340 (Greater Rochester Robotics)

Rookie Year: 1997
rachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to rachakate Send a message via Yahoo to rachakate

does anyone have a density for the alumalite? I'm having a hard time finding it.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Life's Good
AKA: Kate Leipold
FRC #0340 (Greater Rochester Robotics)

Rookie Year: 1997
rachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud ofrachakate has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to rachakate Send a message via Yahoo to rachakate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachakate View Post
does anyone have a density for the alumalite? I'm having a hard time finding it.
I'll answer my own question. - Density = .023 lbm/in³.
I get the bottom plate of the assembly to weigh ~ 3.5 lbs.

My CAD assembly is still needed bumpers and fasteners, so I won't mention the hypothetical weight yet.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2009, 04:53 PM
FRC #2670

DarKCroNo is an unknown quantity at this point

so wat are the specs to the trailer exactly?
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alan Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKCroNo View Post
so wat are the specs to the trailer exactly?
See the Official FIRST Drawings on the FIRST web site.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2009, 07:44 PM
AKA: Rick Folea
FRC #1746 (Forsyth Alliance)

Rookie Year: 2005
rfolea has a brilliant futurerfolea has a brilliant futurerfolea has a brilliant futurerfolea has a brilliant futurerfolea has a brilliant futurerfolea has a brilliant futurerfolea has a brilliant futurerfolea has a brilliant futurerfolea has a brilliant futurerfolea has a brilliant futurerfolea has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek16 View Post
Retired Starman (or anyone else who had built their trailers exactly to FIRST's specs),

Can you please measure the weight of the trailer without and with balls loaded on scales accurate to the .1 lbs?

The mass of the trailer is REALLY going to make a difference in driving this year.

35 balls weighs 17.5 lbs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: