OCCRA
Go to Post FIRST already has 494 Martians, plus 70 more. - GaryVoshol [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Data Nerd
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS) (EWCP)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute
pic: 397 Bumper Configuration

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2009, 01:50 PM
It isnt about bots,its about humans
AKA: Liron Gurvitz
FRC #3211 (The Y Team)

Rookie Year: 2006
Tottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: 397 Bumper Configuration

it is as long as each segment of the bumper is at least 6'' long, at least that's what i think.
oh and you need an opening for the trailer hitch to feet in.
2014 Judges Award
Founder of teams 1947 and 2669
My FRC record: 9 Years, twice FTA, 4 Teams and counting. 78 wins, 44 losses, 5 ties as coach.

Last edited by Tottanka : 01-14-2009 at 01:53 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Team 2175 Founder
AKA: Kevin O'Connor
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2007
Vikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Vikesrock Send a message via MSN to Vikesrock Send a message via Yahoo to Vikesrock

Ok, I'm not sure exactly where in the drawing you are planning on putting bumpers. Having said that I believe you could make a legal configuration out of this frame provided the two front flat surfaces are 6" long each.

Assuming the robot is 28X38 your bumper perimeter is 132" and yoiu need to cover 88" with bumpers.

It appears that there would be no reason not to cover both long sides with this design giving you 76". To properly cover the corners you would then need 2 6" segments on each of the short sides for a total of 24" which brings you well over the required 88".

If the angled pieces on the front are supposed to be bumpers these are not "official" bumpers and would count for robot weight and volume (and this cannot extend outside the bumper perimeter and would be illegal in the configuration shown. Removing these bumpers (and enough in the back to make a space for the trailer hitch would result in a legal configuration.

2007 Wisconsin Regional Highest Rookie Seed & Regional Finalists (Thanks 930 & 2039)
2008 MN Regional Semifinalists (Thanks 2472 & 1756)
2009 Northstar Regional Semifinalists (Thanks 171 & 525)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

If the two angled front pieces are bumpers, this is illegal. Bumpers must be on the bumper perimeter, which is defined by wrapping a string around the robot.

Like us on Facebook!

2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions

Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of MOST of our robots!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2009, 01:58 PM
No Problem!
AKA: Jake Classic
FRC #0061 (The Shifters)
Team Role: Leadership

SuperJake has much to be proud ofSuperJake has much to be proud ofSuperJake has much to be proud ofSuperJake has much to be proud ofSuperJake has much to be proud ofSuperJake has much to be proud ofSuperJake has much to be proud ofSuperJake has much to be proud ofSuperJake has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to SuperJake
Post Re: pic: 397 Bumper Configuration

It looks to me like you have a short bumper segment on the front end that curves into some sort of picker-upper device. According to my interpretation of <R08>, the bumper segments that angle into your picker-upper are not legal bumpers because they are not on the bumper perimeter. Additionally, the front segments look a little short - the plywood backing needs to be at least 6" long.

My team actually had a discussion about a similar area on our robot last night!

Hopefully this helps you out.

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2009, 02:03 PM
AKA: Chris Hunt
FRC #0397 (Knight Riders)

HUNT397 is a splendid one to beholdHUNT397 is a splendid one to beholdHUNT397 is a splendid one to beholdHUNT397 is a splendid one to beholdHUNT397 is a splendid one to beholdHUNT397 is a splendid one to beholdHUNT397 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikesrock View Post
Ok, I'm not sure exactly where in the drawing you are planning on putting bumpers. Having said that I believe you could make a legal configuration out of this frame provided the two front flat surfaces are 6" long each.

Assuming the robot is 28X38 your bumper perimeter is 132" and yoiu need to cover 88" with bumpers.

It appears that there would be no reason not to cover both long sides with this design giving you 76". To properly cover the corners you would then need 2 6" segments on each of the short sides for a total of 24" which brings you well over the required 88".

If the angled pieces on the front are supposed to be bumpers these are not "official" bumpers and would count for robot weight and volume (and this cannot extend outside the bumper perimeter and would be illegal in the configuration shown. Removing these bumpers (and enough in the back to make a space for the trailer hitch would result in a legal configuration.
The angled sections are 6in long and we were going to put them there to satisify the corner bumper rule. and oops i did forget to add the hole for the trailer. So if we removed the small section would that be legal even though <R08> I. BUMPERS must protect all exterior corners of the BUMPER PERIMETER. is not satisified?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2009, 02:06 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNT397 View Post
The angled sections are 6in long and we were going to put them there to satisify the corner bumper rule. and oops i did forget to add the hole for the trailer. So if we removed the small section would that be legal even though <R08> I. BUMPERS must protect all exterior corners of the BUMPER PERIMETER. is not satisified?
If you removed the angled sections and the rest in that area was 6" long or more, you'd probably be fine.

The one thing I'm wondering is--are bumpers allowed inside the robot's BUMPER PERIMETER, if they aren't treated as BUMPERS?
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2009, 02:13 PM
AKA: "DOS"
FRC #2399 (The Fighting Unicorns)

usbcd36 is a jewel in the roughusbcd36 is a jewel in the roughusbcd36 is a jewel in the rough

Ok, so…

I'm going to say no, since the segments of the front bumpers that lie on the two diagonals won't be considered BUMPERS, since they don't lie on the BUMPER PERIMETER. (<R08>L)

Also, ignoring the diagonal bumpers, the two segments on the front BUMPER PERIMETER look to be too short (min. 6") to qualify as BUMPERS. (<R08>A)

Keep in mind my response is not official in any way.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Data Nerd
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS) (EWCP)

Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHeard View Post
If the two angled front pieces are bumpers, this is illegal. Bumpers must be on the bumper perimeter, which is defined by wrapping a string around the robot.
Yeah, I was wondering that myself. My only question is how does that work with polygons with 5 or more vertexes? Rather than try to illustrate with text I will give you points to plot, if I have a polygon with vertexes A= (0,0) B=(0,10) C=(10,10) D=(5,5) and E=(10,0) We know point D does not fall along the bumper perimeter. By your own argument the BP would be a polygon bounded by by ABCE. My primary question is that the rule states "BUMPERS must protect all exterior corners of the BUMPER PERIMETER (see Figure 8 - 2). " (From R08 I) The corner formed by BCE needs to be protected but obviously we cannot because there is no frame there. The logical thing would to run bumpers across angle BCD but as you said this is illegal because CD is not along the bumper perimeter.

Planning to top a 4 banner year...
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2009, 02:17 PM
FF - PureMichigan
FRC #2337 (EngiNERDs)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Clinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
If you removed the angled sections and the rest in that area was 6" long or more, you'd probably be fine.

The one thing I'm wondering is--are bumpers allowed inside the robot's BUMPER PERIMETER, if they aren't treated as BUMPERS?

Bumpers not attached to the BP would have to be counted as part of the robot (including weight).

Quote:
<R08>
L. The BUMPERS must be fixed to the BUMPER PERIMETER.
-Oris-
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2009, 02:20 PM
FF - PureMichigan
FRC #2337 (EngiNERDs)
Team Role: Coach

Clinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
Yeah, I was wondering that myself. My only question is how does that work with polygons with 5 or more vertexes? Rather than try to illustrate with text I will give you points to plot, if I have a polygon with vertexes A= (0,0) B=(0,10) C=(10,10) D=(5,5) and E=(10,0) We know point D does not fall along the bumper perimeter. By your own argument the BP would be a polygon bounded by by ABCE. My primary question is that the rule states "BUMPERS must protect all exterior corners of the BUMPER PERIMETER (see Figure 8 - 2). " (From R08 I) The corner formed by BCE needs to be protected but obviously we cannot because there is no frame there. The logical thing would to run bumpers across angle BCD but as you said this is illegal because CD is not along the bumper perimeter.
The Bumpers must protect all the exterior corners of the BP not necessarily the corners of the robot frame.

-Oris-
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2009, 02:59 PM
AKA: Jim
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)

MrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond repute

From all the hours I've spent reading on this subject, I'll agree with Adam, it's not legal, you need to have 6" minimum bumpers on the front, not angled back. It's the combination of the Q&A response that you need BUMPERS on both sides of each corner of the BP, the rule that BUMPERS must attach at the BUMPER PERIMETER, and the minimum length of 6".

Wide robots are looking pretty good this year.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Non-standard bumpers could be included on the angled faces leading to your collector if you desired. They would not have to meet any BUMPER standards, but would be counted in size and weight of the robot.

The short front sections of the robot must be protected with Standard BUMPERS. Part of the requirement of those is that the combined section of plywood, noodles and cloth must be at least 6" long, and not extend past the exterior corner of the robot. (Noodles and cloth alone can - in fact MUST - extend past the frame to protect the corner.) The entire length of the BUMPER must be supported by the main frame.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2009, 04:29 PM
I feel better now.
AKA: Jared341
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Jared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond repute

I have deleted this post because of my (now) better judgement.

Last edited by Jared Russell : 01-15-2009 at 07:15 AM.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Raptors can't turn doorknobs.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)

Rookie Year: 1999
Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute

It'd be pretty upsetting if the GDC reverses what they've already stated very clearly. All corners, both sides, 6 inches. It's intent has been pretty clear in the rules. That still leaves you 16 inches on a long robot to get a ball.

"Wrapping" the string so it touches just the outside edges of your robot and defining that as the bumper perimeter has been pretty well understood too (in my opinion).

If this suddenly changes to allow teams more leeway, other teams that have made serious design decisions that can't be changed would be rather disadvantaged.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: