OCCRA
Go to Post Warning: You have entered an it's-so-crazy-that-it-might-just-work zone - Natchez [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Control System > FRC Control System
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Kory
FRC #1569 (Haywire)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2006
Kory is an unknown quantity at this point
Control System Meltdown

I am a programmer for team 1569. We recieved our control system late and I was not able to get it put together and booted up until yesterday. I followed the first instructions to the letter in updating the firmware and configuring the switch and the bridge. When I came to the step where you unplug the bridge from the router and then attempt to access it the I couldn't see the bridge. I checked that the security settings were all disabled. I even restarted the process from the beginning of the bridge configuration and did it again. I still had the same issue. This time however, after I disabled the wireless security on the switch, I could no longer connect to the bridge at all. Whether by direct connect or through the driver station and switch I can no longer access the bridge. I have tried a hard reset and that failed as well.

Programmer in need of aid,
Kory
Team 1569
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Kory
FRC #1569 (Haywire)

Re: Control System Meltdown

I have managed to solve part of my own problem with some help from some mentors. We did a reset to factory defaults and broadened our subnet mask. We can now speak to them both. I still cannot connect to the gaming adapter without a wired connection. I have followed the directions exactly and they still will not speak.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2009, 11:35 PM
FRC #1523 (M.A.R.S.)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Jim E has a reputation beyond reputeJim E has a reputation beyond reputeJim E has a reputation beyond reputeJim E has a reputation beyond reputeJim E has a reputation beyond reputeJim E has a reputation beyond reputeJim E has a reputation beyond reputeJim E has a reputation beyond reputeJim E has a reputation beyond reputeJim E has a reputation beyond reputeJim E has a reputation beyond repute

CAn you talk to each component separately through a WIRED connection to the PC?

You may still have the LinkSys router configured improperly.

Check the router settings as descibed in the FIRST documents. Read them again too. They bounce around a lot like moon rocks on a lunar surface.

Good Luck! It took me a couple days to make sure I was doing it right too. Do not get discouraged.

Jim E.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Kory
FRC #1569 (Haywire)

With each plugged into a separate PC I can speak to each. When they are connected to each other and a PC I can speak to both. When the gaming adapter is unplugged from the router I can no longer speak to it. However, when I plug the gaming adapter into a PC it still sees the switch. The switch does not see it. I have reset both to factory defaults several times and started the FIRST instructions from square one. I still persists in the same issue. It seems like the issue is with the switch but I'm not possitive. I have manipulated every setting in both and still get no change at all. I am beggining to run out of ideas. Any insight at all would be appreciated.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Kory
FRC #1569 (Haywire)

For some strange reason without any act of ours the controler has begun to work. We were saving a setting on the gaming adapter and it was rebooting when someone accidently unplugged it. When we plugged it back in and it booted up it worked! Anyone know why? It wasn't the setting we changed I know that.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Zombie repelant in human shape!
AKA: Tom Hewson
FRC #2550 (OCPRO)

Rookie Year: 2009
EncodersRUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to EncodersRUS

It might have simply been glitching and acting out on you. We got the system early and had some issues as well but some seemed to auto-correct in time. Don't know for certain, but it may have been since you got the system later it has some different coding on it that was disabled or changed.

LabVIEW Programming versus people who think rationally...

LabVIEW Junkie and 2011 OCPRO Mentor
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2009, 01:29 AM
AKA: Nate
FRC #2478

Rookie Year: 2004
Honis is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have a wireless network in the area you're working with it could have been sending connect request to that instead of the network you had setup. I had this happen around my home network. Unplugging the game adapter, waiting a min then plugging it back in made it re-look for the desired network. I don't know the real tech behind why this happens just that a software restart is not the same as a hard (unplug) restart. Mistakenly, when we were setting up the next day we turned the DS and router on last (after the game adapter). This problem occurred again and remained until we did a hard reset. The school also has a local network so I'd guess the game adapter looks for the first available network after it looks for the network its setup for.

Its now procedure to turn the robot on last (which you're supposed to do for safety reasons anyway).
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2009, 03:59 PM
FTC #2885

dtarr is an unknown quantity at this point

Team 2839 here, we have a similar problem. We changed our IP addresses for each of the control system parts to the correct numbers. We updated the components also. We can talk to the bridge only when it is hard-wired into the computer. When we disconnect it we cannot. After reading your posts i am going to try to connect to the bridge when there are no wireless networks around. There seems to be like 50 here at charter.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: