Go to Post Seemed like a solid plan in my head. - davidthefat [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Awards > Chairman's Award
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-27-2001, 09:30 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer/Mentor/Inspector
AKA: FirstCadLibrary Guy, Inspector Dude
FRC #3959 (Formally with FRC-34)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Ed Sparks has a reputation beyond reputeEd Sparks has a reputation beyond reputeEd Sparks has a reputation beyond reputeEd Sparks has a reputation beyond reputeEd Sparks has a reputation beyond reputeEd Sparks has a reputation beyond reputeEd Sparks has a reputation beyond reputeEd Sparks has a reputation beyond reputeEd Sparks has a reputation beyond reputeEd Sparks has a reputation beyond reputeEd Sparks has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ed Sparks Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Sparks
Unhappy What does the Chairmanís Award have to do with a robot contest?

What does the Chairmanís Award have to do with a robot contest?

Donít get me wrong, I think winning this award is a noble accomplishment. It deserves great celebration and recognition. It definitely demonstrates a teams commitment to spreading the word of FIRST and we all know that FIRST needs to nurture that, but should a team get a lifetime entitlement to the robot competition for this (or any other criteria for that matter)?

I think not.

I want to base my opinion on 2 points :

For all of the years that Iíve been involved with this program, there have been 3 separate competition areas involved (robot, chairmanís award, and animation). Never before has the outcome of one area been a factor in the other. Why now? Should the winners of the animation award be entitled?

The idea that only one team per year is worthy of such an entitlement given the vast amount of effort that teams put in to this is inconceivable to me. Each year, when the finalists are read, I know that any one of them (and probably many more) are equally worthy. Even the judges state each year how incredibly hard it is to pick a winner.

So why interject so much controversy into solving the problem of overcrowding?

I suspect most of us could live with the rules, even the even/odd thing, if the entitlements were dropped. To me, they just hint of favoritism, which stretches the ability of at least some of us to look at one another as equal partners in a worthy cause.

I just simply think that the robotics contest should be based on the robotics and the skills of the players. Simple as that Ö..

MECH TECH FRC-3959
FirstCadLibrary
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-27-2001, 10:29 PM
Ken Leung's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Dare to Live!
FRC #0115 (Monta Vista Robotics Team)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Ken Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ken Leung
Post Teams who got Chairman's Awards

"Teams automatically qualify to register for the current year in the following ways:
a. All former Chairmanís Award winners (1992-2001)
b. Prior two years Chairmanís Award finalists (2000 & 2001) "

Teams who were Award winners and finalists:
Chairman's Award 22 Boeing-Rocketdyne/ Computer Associates/ Decker Machine/ Fadal Engineering & Chatsworth HS North Hills CA
Chairman's Award Finalist 1 3-Dimensional Services & Oakland Technical Center, Northeast Campus (OTC-NE) Pontiac MI
Chairman's Award Finalist 47 Delphi Automotive Systems & Pontiac Central HS Troy MI
Chairman's Award Finalist 65 GM Powertrain & Pontiac Northern HS Pontiac MI
Chairman's Award Finalist 175 UTC/ Hamilton Sundstrand Space Systems International/ Techni Products & Enrico Fermi HS

Chairman's Award Winner:
Team 16 - Baxter Healthcare Corporation & Mountain Home High School (Mountain Home, AR)
Chairman's Award Finalists:
Team 47 - Delphi Automotive Systems & Pontiac Central High School (Troy, MI)
Team 22 - NASA Ames Research Center/AVG Inc./Decker Machine/Boeing/Rocketdyne/Amgen/California State University -Northridge & Chatsworth High School (Chatsworth, CA)
Team 175 - UTC/Hamilton Sundstrand Space Systems International/Techni Products & Enrico Fermi High School (Windsor Locks, CT)
Team 1 - 3-Dimensional Services & Oakland Technical Center, Northeast Campus (OTC-NE) (Pontiac, MI)

Chairman's Award Winner:
Team 120 - NASA Lewis Research Center / TRW, Inc./ Battelle Memorial Institute & East Technical High School (Cleveland, OH)
Chairman's Award Finalists:
Team 16 - Baxter Healthcare Corporation & Mountain Home High School (Mountain Home, AR)
Team 123 - New Venture Gear, Inc. & Hamtramck High School (Troy, MI)
Team 175 - UTC/ Hamilton Standard Space Systems International / Techni Products & Enrico Fermi High School (Windsor Locks, CT)
Team 67 - General Motors Milford Proving Ground & Huron Valley Schools (Milford, MI)

Chairman's Award Winner
Team 23 - Boston Edison Company & Plymouth North High School (Plymouth, MA)
Chairman's Award Finalist #1
Chairman's Award Finalist #2
Team 67 - General Motors Proving Ground & Milford High School/Lakeland High School/Harbor High School (Milford/Highland/White Lake, MI)
Chairman's Award Finalist #3
Team 108 - Motorola, Inc. & Dillard High School (Plantation/Ft. Lauderdale, FL)
Chairman's Award Finalist #4
Team 120 - NASA Lewis Research Center/TRW, Inc./Battelle Memorial Institute/The Illuminating Co. & East Technical High School (Cleveland, OH)

CHAIRMAN'S AWARD
Delphi Interior and Lighting Systems & Pontiac Central High School (Troy, MI)
CHAIRMAN'S AWARD FINALISTS
Baxter Healthcare Corporation & Mountain Home High School (Mountain Home, AR)
&
Boston Edison Company / University of Massachusetts Dartmouth & Plymouth North High School (Plymouth, MA)
&
Raytheon E-Systems, Inc. & Greenville High School (Greenville, TX)
&
University of Wisconsin-Platteville & Platteville High School (Platteville, WI)

Chairman's Award
Procter & Gamble Company & Walnut Hills High School (Cincinnati, OH)
Chairman's Award Finalists
Baxter Healthcare Corporation/Mountain Home High School (Mountain Home, AR)
Boston Edison Company & Plymouth North High School (Plymouth, MA)
E-Systems, Inc. & Greenville High School (Greenville, TX)
Texas Instruments & Gunter High School (Dallas, TX)
Xerox Corporation & Joseph C. Wilson Magnet High School (Webster/Rochester, NY)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2002, 05:07 PM
#0060 (Bionic Bulldogs)

amanda is an unknown quantity at this point
I think we sometimes forget that FIRST is not just about building robots. Its purpose is to educate and inspire young people in the field of science and technology. The Chairmans award recognizes those teams that take that to heart--Teams that go out of their way to get others interested in engineering.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2002, 05:39 PM
FIRST-a-holic Strategist
#1011 (CRUSH)

WakeZero will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to WakeZero Send a message via Yahoo to WakeZero
I don't see the problem here, FIRST encourages cooperation more than competition. Although the competition is great, and I love it, when you step back and look at the big picture you can see a WHOLE lot more than just a "robotics competition"
2003 Arizona Regional -- Rookie All-Star Award
2003 Arizona Regional -- Quarterfinalist

Alumni on Team 64, The Gila Monsters
College Mentor/Founder of Team 1011, CRUSH
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2002, 06:31 PM
#0061 (Intimidators)
Team Role: Teacher

Christine G. is on a distinguished road
Looks to me that it is the same 6 or 7 teams each year that are either the winner or the finalists of the Chairman's Award.

Guess that means it is only a handful of spots being taken up at the Championship.

Hopefully, this year with the expanded version of the chairman's award (at each Regional) we will see some new names added to this list.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2002, 05:32 PM
Eat. Sleep. Rescue. Repeat.
AKA: Damian "Chip" Eveland
FRC #0171 (The Cheese Curd Herd)

Rookie Year: 1996
tenthirtythree is an unknown quantity at this point
It has benefits...

Hi all!

This year, I was the editor for our team's Chairman's Award. I'm pretty proud of the way it turned out.

Win or lose, it was fun putting the award together. It gave me an opportunity to really meet my team members. I learned more about them, their interests in FIRST, and it gave us an opportunity to become friends.

I'm all smiles...and we're having a lot of fun.

So, what does it have to do with a robot contest? Well, teamwork, dedication and friendship have a lot of play in all factors of life, including a robot contest.

Maybe we'll win, maybe we won't. But we've all made friends, and had a good time. In the end, that's more important than an award, don't you think?

Good luck everyone!

Damian "Chip" Eveland
#171 - Platteville, Wisconsin
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2002, 12:27 AM

Rookie Year: 2000
AdamT is on a distinguished road
You know, I think one of the reasons FIRST extended it into regionals is to try and get rid of this idea that only certain teams can win it. I mean, I totally agree that in years past it's only been certain teams, but I hope for that to change. Maybe I'm just hopeful because I pretty much did ours this year.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2002, 08:08 PM
Crusty Mentor
FRC #0097

Rookie Year: 2001
DanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really niceDanL is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to DanL
sorry to get a bit off-topic, but speaking about the winners, do any of these teams have their winning submissions online? I'd like to see what exactly is considered demonstrating the spirit of FIRST. It's one thing to talk about it, it's another to actually see it
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2002, 11:04 PM
#0314 (Megatron Oracles "Big MO")

CaptainPlaid is an unknown quantity at this point
If you look at the list of chairman's award winners and finalists and winners you will see the most of them also usually have spectacular robots (1,47,65). I think that is a demonstration of a well-rounded team that deserves recognition.
I believe the chairman's award and the animation to a lesser extent allows the FIRST program to be very broad. We have people on our chariman's team that probably couldnt pick a hammer out of a line-up and we have people on our animation crew that probably couldn't spell anmation. (Yeah, I know I spelled that wrong and I'm just kidding about it anyway.) What I am trying to get at is that the chairman's award is about more than showing FIRST how we have spread the message and about more than the build crew throwing together a presentation in two days just to have a submisison. It is about getting more people involved that aren't necessarily interested in the down and dirty robot building.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2002, 11:07 PM
#0314 (Megatron Oracles "Big MO")

CaptainPlaid is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by SuperDanman
sorry to get a bit off-topic, but speaking about the winners, do any of these teams have their winning submissions online? I'd like to see what exactly is considered demonstrating the spirit of FIRST. It's one thing to talk about it, it's another to actually see it
I believe the team that won the award two years ago or last year did it by converting their previous robot into a motorized wheelchair for a team member in need. I thought that was pretty awesome and while maybe not really "spreading the message" of FIRST it is possibly one of the best demonstrations of the the "sprit of FIRST."
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2002, 02:26 PM
#0045 (Technokats)

Heather 45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Heather 45
It always seems to amaze me that few people actually know what FIRST is about. FIRST is not just a robotics competition and if that is what people think then I feel sorry for those people. FIRST stresses community involvement and volunterism. Chairman's Award spotlights a team's accomplishments outside of competition because FIRST is not all about COMPETITION. My team (Technkats 45) has taken a very important part of our community. We have a Bona Vista Project for our community. Bona Vista is a local community resource center. It also helps those with mental and physical handicaps. The Technokats developed equipment for those small children who are physically handicapped, that equipment helps them to develop their muscles. We also do a Ball Drop at New Years', we perform during half time at local basketball games, and we also do many other things that make our community aware of who we are and what we do. Our town realizes that we are not just a robotics team and FIRST is not just a robotics organization. FIRST wants each team to do community services and Chairman's Award explemifies each teams' community works. That is why it is such a prestigious award.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2002, 09:06 PM
Duckie THE Duct Tape Enthusiast
AKA: Andrea Tribo
FRC #0365 (Miracle Workerz)
Team Role: Alumni

DUCKIE has a brilliant futureDUCKIE has a brilliant futureDUCKIE has a brilliant futureDUCKIE has a brilliant futureDUCKIE has a brilliant futureDUCKIE has a brilliant futureDUCKIE has a brilliant futureDUCKIE has a brilliant futureDUCKIE has a brilliant futureDUCKIE has a brilliant futureDUCKIE has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to DUCKIE
FIRST-

F or
I nspiration
and
R ecognition
in
S cience
and
T echnology

I believe that that expains it right there. This competition was not created with the goal of making robots that defeat their opponents... it was created to get teenagers interested in Science and Technology. Which it has done quite well, considering that there are 999 teams this year. That sheer number has made them limit the attendees at the National Competition in Orlando.

Now I am NOT saying that I agree with all of the rules about who goes to nationals... I believe that any team who wants to, and can raise the funds, should be abile to go.

-DUCKY-

PS- I know it is a kind of goofy idea, but couldn't they set-up a second 'National' at Disney in California? That would allow more teams to compete - and lower travel costs for any west-coast teams-.

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2002, 07:35 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC Key Volunteer Trainer
AKA: CrazyNate
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Nate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Nate Smith Send a message via Yahoo to Nate Smith
Quote:
Originally posted by DUCKY
PS- I know it is a kind of goofy idea, but couldn't they set-up a second 'National' at Disney in California? That would allow more teams to compete - and lower travel costs for any west-coast teams-.
This idea was mentioned in another thread, and it was brought up that due to the much smaller side of Disneyland in CA, that there would be no real place to set up the event...
returning for 2011? only time will tell...
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2002, 09:48 AM
FRC #0365 (Miracle Workerz)
Team Role: Leadership

Bill Enslen is on a distinguished road
Perhaps Disneyland itself has no facilities to host the event, but surely there are arenas in the area which could host the event. The team party could still be at Disneyland.
If there were two National events, then FIRST could have a Super-National in New Hampshire where the two champions battle it out. Only the two competition teams and their pit crews would need to attend, with their travel costs paid by FIRST.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2002, 11:41 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC Key Volunteer Trainer
AKA: CrazyNate
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Nate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Nate Smith Send a message via Yahoo to Nate Smith
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Enslen
Only the two competition teams and their pit crews would need to attend, with their travel costs paid by FIRST.
This statement I disagree with entirely. There is no precedent that I know of anywhere in any sporting-style event where the organizers of the event pay for the teams to travel to the event. If FIRST was to do this, the costs would have to be covered somewhere, which would mean that there would be some fee implemented across the board to cover these expenses. Keep in mind that we are talking complete travel expenses for 6(perhaps more in the future) teams...FIRST was trying to prevent some teams subsidizing the expenses of others when implementing the $75 per person event fee for nationals participants booking outside of a provided package...taking funds from all teams to cover the expenses of a select few would be a step backward in my opinion.
returning for 2011? only time will tell...
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: