OCCRA
Go to Post I did research before asking a question on CD..blasphemous I know - rachelholladay [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > IT / Communications > 3D Animation and Competition
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2009, 10:39 AM
That Guy
AKA: Phil
no team (Cybersonics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
Cyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Cyberphil Send a message via Skype™ to Cyberphil
Lense Effect Problems

Hey guys,
For the past few weeks I have been trying to use a lens effect on an omni light in one of my scenes for a nice sun look. I have done this numerous times before with no problem at all, but this year it is not seeming to work. I add the effect to the omni and put the parameters of the effects that I would like and press render, but an error message shows up saying:

Unsupported Render Effect
The following render elements are not compatible with the bitmap format selected for rendering. The selected Bitmap format is:

32 bits per Channel Floating-Point [RGBA]

lens effect.

Now i know i must be doing something wrong, but i just can't figure out what.

Any help would be amazing!

Thanks a ton!
Phil
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2009, 12:34 PM
FRC #1720

Rookie Year: 2002
Mazin is a name known to allMazin is a name known to allMazin is a name known to allMazin is a name known to allMazin is a name known to allMazin is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Mazin
Re: Lense Effect Problems

Hi. Next time it would be helpful if you specified the renderer and any other relevant information. I assume you are using the mental ray renderer, which gives you the option of 16-bit integer output or 32-bit floating-point output. In Render Dialog -> Renderer -> Sampling Quality, change Frame Buffer Type to Integer (16 bits per channel).
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2009, 02:08 PM
I freaking love animating!!
AKA: Peter Casey
FRC #1625 (Winnovation)
Team Role: Animator

Rookie Year: 2005
BuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BuddyB309

sometimes mental ray does not support some effects. I now that it doesn't support volume light. In that case you can always Layer Render!!

check out my latest animations Appliance Night Out, Infant Intolerable, Fishing Like a Loony Tune, VVV Roadside Assistance

Life? I have a life. It is sitting at my computer and Animating. AND DRAWING!!! WEEEEEEE!!!!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2009, 02:37 PM
That Guy
no team (Cybersonics)

Cyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud of

Im sorry. I am rendering with mental ray, and i tried the 16 bit channel. It still did not work. I used lens effect with mental ray before but not on MAX 09. just 08. It worked once on 09 but I have no clue what I did to make it do that.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2009, 06:51 PM
FRC #1720

Mazin is a name known to allMazin is a name known to allMazin is a name known to allMazin is a name known to allMazin is a name known to allMazin is a name known to all

The upper left box in the attached screenshot should specify the type (r-click on the render buffer window). Shouldn't changing the bitmap type in the render dialog change that? I'm still on Max 9. Works great lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	renderdialog.PNG
Views:	634
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	7379  
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Web Master/ Engineer/ Programer
AKA: Eric G.
FRC #0095 (The Grasshoppers)

Dragonos is an unknown quantity at this point

No, you can not use lens effects with MR. I would suggest making a sunburst in photoshop or the GIMP and making a partical system with a single static "facing" particle. Or... you could use layered rendering or switch to scanline.

PM me for 3dsMax Help!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2009, 10:12 PM
That Guy
no team (Cybersonics)

I have, and I will repeat, I have used lens effect with mental ray before. Actually, our animation last year had a lens effect on it. We used mental ray, and that was done in MAX, not Photoshop, or Gimp. And thanks for the thumbnail. I never knew right clicking the tabs brought up stuff like that.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2009, 12:53 AM
FRC #1625 (Winnovation)

BuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazin View Post
The upper left box in the attached screenshot should specify the type (r-click on the render buffer window). Shouldn't changing the bitmap type in the render dialog change that? I'm still on Max 9. Works great lol
HA!!! I still use Max 8. Still works great!! ha!

check out my latest animations Appliance Night Out, Infant Intolerable, Fishing Like a Loony Tune, VVV Roadside Assistance

Life? I have a life. It is sitting at my computer and Animating. AND DRAWING!!! WEEEEEEE!!!!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2009, 12:41 AM
FRC #1720

MAX 9 ALL THE WAY
(I lost my copy of 8)
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Team Captain
FRC #1258 (SeaLu Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
stuffssguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyB309 View Post
sometimes mental ray does not support some effects. I now that it doesn't support volume light. In that case you can always Layer Render!!
Wait, I know for a fact that mental ray does support volume light. I use it every now and then for fog effects.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Team Captain

Forgot what I was going to originally post. You could try using video post to do a glow effect that you want, but other than that you are going to want to use particle effects. I tend to stay away from video post because it is a little bit tricky.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2009, 09:40 AM
FRC #1625 (Winnovation)

The problem with a glow effect in 3ds max is that it recalculates the glow every single time. So you end up with a flicker.

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Team Captain

I did mention that I don't use video post that much right? Anyways, when I come across flickering lights in videos, it is usually because of final gather or global illumination. What happens with those is they calculate how all the lights are going to act in the scene for that frame, finish, dump everything from the last frame, calculate how all the lights in the next scene will act, finish, and have slight variations from the next one. I could go into some more depth on why that happens, but I don't think it is necessary. What I do know is there are quick fixes, and back door methods for thing like that.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2009, 10:05 AM
FRC #1625 (Winnovation)

I'm not talking about lights. I'm talking about glow. The lense effect, it recalculates every frame. Ending up in a flicker. Its better to say glows for layer rendering.

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Team Captain

so then do particle effects. You can do all sorts of great things with particle effects, its just a matter of how much work you really want to put into it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: