Go to Post Quality has nothing to do with desire – you can’t wish quality. Quality has nothing to do with time, or money, or the other guy’s attitude. Quality has everything to do with craftsmanship. - Jack Jones [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2009, 10:27 PM
AKA: Mr. Tucker, AKA Chip
FRC #1111 (Powerhawks)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Chipawa is an unknown quantity at this point
Allocation of PWM and GPIO Channels

We have a lot of motors and limit switches on this year's robot. Is there any reason we cannot use (for example) PWM channels 1-8 and GPIO channels 1-8 from the same digital sidecar?

And if so, how do you address those channels in code?

We're programming in C++. I'm not a programmer, but I understand that you have to specify a slot and a channel number for each signal. I'm just not sure how you differentiate between a PWM channel and a GPIO channel. Any help would be appreciated.

2010 DC Engineering Innovation Award
2010 DC Spirit Award
2008 Chesapeake Finalist
2008 Chesapeake Rockwell Automation Innovation in Controls award
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2009, 10:35 PM
AKA: Will
FRC #3005 (Robochargers)

Rookie Year: 2005
wt200999 will become famous soon enoughwt200999 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to wt200999
Re: Allocation of PWM and GPIO Channels

You can use all of the inputs without having to worry about conflicts. When you specify the slot and channel number (or if you are using the default slots just the channel number) the object you specify it for will tell whether it is a GPIO or a PWM.
FRC Team 3005 Mentor 2014

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2009, 01:13 PM
FRC #1111 (Powerhawks)

Thanks for the reply. Glad there are no conflicts.

Quote:
the object you specify it for will tell whether it is a GPIO or a PWM.
I'm still not sure how you differentiate between a GPIO and a PWM. Is there a separate "GPIO #" and "PWM #"?

2010 DC Spirit Award
2008 Chesapeake Finalist
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2009, 02:21 PM
You didn't see anything....
AKA: Adam
FRC #0501 (Power Knights)

Rookie Year: 1998
Kingofl337 has a reputation beyond reputeKingofl337 has a reputation beyond reputeKingofl337 has a reputation beyond reputeKingofl337 has a reputation beyond reputeKingofl337 has a reputation beyond reputeKingofl337 has a reputation beyond reputeKingofl337 has a reputation beyond reputeKingofl337 has a reputation beyond reputeKingofl337 has a reputation beyond reputeKingofl337 has a reputation beyond reputeKingofl337 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Kingofl337

The digital side card has 10 PWM ports for driving victors / jaguars. If you need more PWM ports you can add a second digital side card. If you have some low current motors (CIM or Fisher Price must be connected to a speed control) that run in an on/off fashion you can drive them with a spike according to <R54>.

edit: Also all the Spikes and Speed Controls must be connected to the designated port, you cannot drive them with GPIO.

[BFIRST Team 146 Blue Lightning - Alumni[/b]
FIRST Team 40 Checkmate

Last edited by Kingofl337 : 02-10-2009 at 02:24 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2009, 02:31 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
EricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to EricVanWyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipawa View Post
I'm still not sure how you differentiate between a GPIO and a PWM. Is there a separate "GPIO #" and "PWM #"?
If you open a Jaguar or Victor or Servo object, it will know that you intend to connect it to a PWM output. If you open a Encoder or switch or etc object, it will know that you intend to connect it to GPIO. If you open a relay object, it will know that you intend to connect it to a relay output.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alan Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipawa View Post
You differentiate between them by choosing Digital I/O classes vs. PWM (Victor, Jaguar, Servo) classes. There are also separate Relay numbers, Analog numbers, and Solenoid numbers.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2009, 04:25 PM
FRC #1111 (Powerhawks)

Thanks for the help all. We are trying to cut weight where possible, so we're trying to stick to just one digital sidecar. Looks like we'll be able make it work.

2010 DC Spirit Award
2008 Chesapeake Finalist
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Alum, former programmer&co-captain
FRC #2472 (The Centurions)

Rookie Year: 2008
RoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant future

Well, you are programming in C, so this might be of little help, but this is what I have noticed in LabVIEW:

You can open up the Set and Get VIs (VIs, or SubVIs, are like functions in C) for the PWM input/output plugs and see what they actually do to make controlling the PWM signals. They actually use the Counter VIs to make/read the signal that is going through the pins to sense the ups and downs, ultimately a PWM signal. Then they handle sending/recieving signals through the port similar to a regular digital input-output port.

I would suggest looking into this on the C side and see if you can look into the functions that allow you to control PWM signals. I'll bet they too use counting processes to read/write a PWM signal from scratch. Then you can make your own code that does the same or copy and paste some of those formulas' code, but instead modify it so that it is controlling a digital input/output port/slot/pins.

I hope this makes sense. Cheers!

I'm not slacking, my code's compiling
...and I'm using LabVIEW
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: