OCCRA
Go to Post IT ISN'T THE STUDENT'S JOB TO DISCIPLINE OTHER STUDENTS. That's why God invented mentors. Let them do their jobs. - Collin Fultz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > IT / Communications > 3D Animation and Competition
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Your bot can score but can it dance
AKA: CJ
FRC #4451 (The Burning Magnetos)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
hipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond reputehipsterjr has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to hipsterjr
Re: Fewer Animations?

As a mechanical, I use to get on the animators. After winning 3 Safety animations and a couple regional wins, I respect what they do a lot more. As long as they keep bringing home hardware, they are good in my book. I walked into the animation lab on ship day for the first time all season, they showed me what they had come up with and I was like, "how in the world did you do that?!" They responded saying, "how do you guys build a robot?" Mutal respect for different talents is a great way to practice GP in house.
2008 Florida Regional Finalist Thanks 179 & 69
2007 Palmetto Regional winners Thanks 1319 & 832
2005 Palmetto Chairmens Winner
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2009, 11:49 AM
FRC #2180 (Zero Gravity)
Team Role: Mentor

Church is a jewel in the roughChurch is a jewel in the roughChurch is a jewel in the roughChurch is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipsterjr View Post
As a mechanical, I use to get on the animators. After winning 3 Safety animations and a couple regional wins, I respect what they do a lot more. As long as they keep bringing home hardware, they are good in my book. I walked into the animation lab on ship day for the first time all season, they showed me what they had come up with and I was like, "how in the world did you do that?!" They responded saying, "how do you guys build a robot?" Mutal respect for different talents is a great way to practice GP in house.
If only more team members had the same epiphany. As a mentor, I don't get many chances to work with the students, but the adults on the team were very supportive. When I was in high school, no one went out of their way to treat us poorly, but I know that the majority of the team considered me and a lot of the other girls to be useless hangers-on. We were only vaguely appreciated even after we won a regional award. I was sad ;_;

Church? No, it's not a Red vs Blue reference. It's my name.

Webcomic about FIRST! The FIRST Team
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2009, 02:11 PM
FRC #0847

rastermon is an unknown quantity at this point

Its too bad some of you have had less than positive experiences at times. Mentors are a great resource, but don't forget you can do anything if you really want to. When I got into graphic design and 3D, it was still very expensive. The company I was at paid $150K for a basic 3D system. Any access you had to a 3d program was rare. The community college had a few Silicon Graphics workstations that were busy from 7 am till midnight with signups for login time. Today we have free access to a world class 3D app sitting idle for 10 months a year. Reading tutorials and just experimenting with all the tools is a good way to learn.
This isn't a "back in my day..." speech (well ok, maybe it is), but I'm still amazed that all this power is so affordable.

Spend some off-season time getting to know 3DSMax - I know easier said than done. I myself don't spend that much off season time with it. I'm a Mac user, so I don't have it installed on any of my own computers.
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2009, 01:17 AM
I freaking love animating!!
AKA: Peter Casey
FRC #1625 (Winnovation)
Team Role: Animator

Rookie Year: 2005
BuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BuddyB309

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastermon View Post
Its too bad some of you have had less than positive experiences at times. Mentors are a great resource, but don't forget you can do anything if you really want to. When I got into graphic design and 3D, it was still very expensive. The company I was at paid $150K for a basic 3D system. Any access you had to a 3d program was rare. The community college had a few Silicon Graphics workstations that were busy from 7 am till midnight with signups for login time. Today we have free access to a world class 3D app sitting idle for 10 months a year. Reading tutorials and just experimenting with all the tools is a good way to learn.
This isn't a "back in my day..." speech (well ok, maybe it is), but I'm still amazed that all this power is so affordable.

Spend some off-season time getting to know 3DSMax - I know easier said than done. I myself don't spend that much off season time with it. I'm a Mac user, so I don't have it installed on any of my own computers.

Its my life. I don't do anything else.

check out my latest animations Appliance Night Out, Infant Intolerable, Fishing Like a Loony Tune, VVV Roadside Assistance

Life? I have a life. It is sitting at my computer and Animating. AND DRAWING!!! WEEEEEEE!!!!
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2009, 10:49 AM
FRC #1730

boehmz is on a distinguished road

We're up to 187 now. The first student judging at week 1 regionals is today. I wish everyone good luck in their particular region. The only regional I know of going on this weekend is Kansas City, where our team submitted our animation to.
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2009, 11:41 AM
FRC #1625 (Winnovation)

BuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond reputeBuddyB309 has a reputation beyond repute

Gah!!! Midwest Regional is this weekend?!! Catch me there people. I Should be the only one wearing a "Autodesk" sweatshirt. Its either blue or black.

check out my latest animations Appliance Night Out, Infant Intolerable, Fishing Like a Loony Tune, VVV Roadside Assistance

Life? I have a life. It is sitting at my computer and Animating. AND DRAWING!!! WEEEEEEE!!!!
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2009, 11:48 AM
FRC #2180 (Zero Gravity)

Church is a jewel in the roughChurch is a jewel in the roughChurch is a jewel in the roughChurch is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyB309 View Post
Its my life. I don't do anything else.
Yes, we know xD I think it was more a hint for people who don't live for animation.

New Jersey is this weekend as well! Let us know who wins at Midwest.

#53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2009, 06:51 PM
FRC #1730

boehmz is on a distinguished road

It's the greater Kansas City Regional, I believe that is different than the Midwest Regional. If we win, it will be our first regional award in animation for our team. I would love to graduate knowing my last animation for Team Driven was a winner. But if we don't win, at least we got the Ted Boardman award for Best Camerawork last year
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2009, 12:26 AM
FRC #1625 (Winnovation)

I must say, I was really disappointed at the Midwest regional. Not to many animators showed up. I couldn't find any to give any lessons to.

#55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2009, 01:08 AM
Amateur Animator
FRC #2046 (Bear Metal)

Rookie Year: 2008
16MentalTempest will become famous soon enough16MentalTempest will become famous soon enough

Hooboyhooboyhooboyhooboyhooboy

I've been looking at all 6 of the animations for the Seattle regional. I'd say 2046 is right in the middle; 2 of them look very rookie-ish (which is perfectly alright, we gotta start somewhere) and 2 of them look very polished and refined. Ours doesn't scream newbie, but it isn't the prettiest thing. Once again, nothing wrong with being a rookie, everybody's been one, even BuddyB309 (hard to believe )!
3) Meet new people
4) Help other teams
5) Try to win

#56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2009, 08:59 AM
They call me Cody.
no team (None currently :\)

Rookie Year: 2008
XXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud ofXXShadowXX has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to XXShadowXX

we got two different dead lines confused and ended up not submitting.
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2009, 12:24 AM
The No Man
AKA: Tom L
FRC #1094 (Channel Cats)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2006
addictedMax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyB309 View Post
I must say, I was really disappointed at the Midwest regional. Not to many animators showed up. I couldn't find any to give any lessons to.
If you came to St Louis :cough cough:

Well, Animation is something where teamwork is needed badly. I'm an outgoing senior and I restarted 1094's team with basically no training my freshmen year. Here's what I did to get better on my own.

* Use the program Just use it screw around find out what that thingie does or that button does. It really helps when you're doing tutorials to know what the basic function of the program's UI.

*Find other animators I would have been lost if I hadn't met Pete at IRI, I can always go ask him for help (GP) and I;m sure hes saved the animation quite a few times.

*Do Tutorials

I'm passing on Animation to some juniors and some sophomores with animation becoming a lot better. It's also important to remember that each year you get so much better and better that you learn the skills you need and you can pass it down so they are better.
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2009, 02:56 AM
FRC #2180 (Zero Gravity)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXShadowXX View Post
we got two different dead lines confused and ended up not submitting.
Ooooh, rough. It's always tough to hear about teams who worked hard for seemingly nothing. On the bright side, you now have experience designing and creating an animation for competition, so it's not all bad.

addictedMax is right in that teamwork is huge, just like in any part of FRC. Hopefully you were all confused as a team! Confusion because everyone thinks that everyone else is wrong is no fun at all.

#59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2009, 07:35 PM
The No Man
AKA: Tom L
FRC #1094 (Channel Cats)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2006
addictedMax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16MentalTempest View Post
Hooboyhooboyhooboyhooboyhooboy

I've been looking at all 6 of the animations for the Seattle regional. I'd say 2046 is right in the middle; 2 of them look very rookie-ish (which is perfectly alright, we gotta start somewhere) and 2 of them look very polished and refined. Ours doesn't scream newbie, but it isn't the prettiest thing. Once again, nothing wrong with being a rookie, everybody's been one, even BuddyB309 (hard to believe )!
Theres 3 animations at St Louis. There has been usually 10 or more (like 1625s for example :cough
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2009, 10:46 AM
FRC #1625 (Winnovation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedMax View Post
Theres 3 animations at St Louis. There has been usually 10 or more (like 1625s for example :cough
Oh blah blah blah.... I couldn't make it. You always can catch me on AIM which is BuddyB309.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: