OCCRA
Go to Post The most important deisgn criteria is always performance in any of the parts / systems we design. But we do try to abide by the saying -- if it doesn't look good (right), it probably isn't good (right). - Adam Freeman [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-01-2001, 11:26 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
I'm done being quiet!
FRC #0131
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1995
Andy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Grady
Thumbs up 2001 Scratch Awards

Ok all,
Now I know I have officially retired, however last year around this time I posted my top 10 teams of 2000. This year it returns in a different form...here ladies and gentleman, are the 2001 Scratch Awards....sorry no certificates or trophys, this is bragging rights only....(Keep in mind that these awards are based only on competitions that I have seen)...

2001 Best Regional Competition Award: New Jersey Regional - Eventhough my team didn't compete in this competition, I was there to witness it and it was the saving grace of this years format. Lots of great teams and the final was absolutely insane....possibly the most exciting final ever!

2001 Best Offseason Competition Award: Mayhem on the Merrimack: In a year of offseason competitions with wacky house rules, Mayhem stayed true to the game. The presentation was awsome and they get bonus points for letting me do play by play =) (p.s. FIRST, I am still available for next years regionals if ya need me...hehe)

2001 Most Fun Robot to Watch Award: Team 467 Compaq and Shrewsbury: Not many teams could go over the bar, this team did and boy was it neat. Watching Shrewsbury reminded me of my childhood years and transformers.

2001 Coolest Trick Award: Goes to team 188: I thought it was cool that my team could do 3 ball squish...but 4 ball squish!!!! Yikes!

2001 Crap! They Are In My Division Award: 71 Beatty and Hammond, c'mon like this was a hard one to figure out. I just remember walking by that divisions pit and watching everyone around be like...man we gotta impress Beatty, maybe they'll pick us!

2001 Total Domination Award: Team 254 (i think) Cheesy Poofs: Have these guys even lost a regional yet? Here's to the longest regional winning streak ever.

2001 Rookie of the Year Award: Team 716, Housitonic...Housitanic...i dunno: I just liked these guys, awsome doorstop ability, under the bar.

2001 Doorstops Rule Award: Tie Team 69 Gillette and Quincy, and Team 111 Wildstang: Team 69 defined the term doorstop (ramp wedge to help balance) at the New England Regional to kick off the year...and Wildstang just...well....look at it!

2001 Trapeze Artist Award: Team 45 Delphi and Kokomo: With the gyro program they had, the could have balanced 2 goals on a high wire with ease.

2001 Ballziest Team of the Year Award: Any team shaped like a truck: I can't remember the team numbers, but I remember how cool they were...if someone remembers who they are please let it be known so they can get credit.

2001 Future Superstar Award: Team 365 MOE: If they aren't already superstars, they will be next year. They have come on strong and are showing no signs of weakness.

And finally...

2001 Scratch Award (My favorite robot): Team 25 Bristol Meyers: All i gotta say is Pole Vault! I absolutely loved watching that thing go over the bar, such an engineering masterpiece. Congrats!

Congrats to all the winners, it was a blast being able to see some of the cool creations this year. Have a good one, and remember...First isn't about awards, or who makes it to nationals, or kickin the crap outa Battlebots...everything that matters in FIRST happens even before you make it to the field
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-02-2001, 01:02 AM
Always be shipping.
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 Scratch Awards

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Grady

2001 Rookie of the Year Award: Team 716, Housitonic...Housitanic...i dunno: I just liked these guys, awsome doorstop ability, under the bar.
Housatonic
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-02-2001, 08:29 AM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Tristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond repute
2001 Coolest Trick Award

Quote:
2001 Coolest Trick Award: Goes to team 188: I thought it was cool that my team could do 3 ball squish...but 4 ball squish!!!! Yikes!
Thanks Andy, now if only we had gotten it to work in competition!

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-02-2001, 02:03 PM
So apparently it hangs......
AKA: Chris Carnevale
FRC #0177
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute
I think the idea of giving other teams congratulations is great, we all work hard on our robots and all need a little pat on the back sometimes. So here would be a cool place to say what we liked about other robots from 2001.

(note these are all just my opinions)

Coolest Drive System- Its a tie between 121 and 47

Coolest Arm- Definately Ace's High and their 360 degree arm

Best Goal Handler- Probably either the Killer Bee's or Cheesey Poofs

The Robot that did the most the best- 177, they could low ride, they could score big balls on and off the ramp, and their balancing trick was cool

Best idea - Team 97 MIT

Team to watch out for next year - 716, their robot as rookies was very cool and fun to watch

Best Pnuematics- I forget the team number but their name was the wrecking crew or something, The picked the goal up with pnuematics and it was cool to watch.

and the only team to get a full strecher over the ramp at UTC- 151
(sorry had to put that one in)

Any body else got teams they like?

Chris
Http://team151.tripod.com
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-02-2001, 03:10 PM
AKA: Courtney
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)
Team Role: Alumni

volleygrrl234 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to volleygrrl234
This might just be because it was my team, but I think that we had the most original control system for the arm. We used a human prototype and potentiometers to control it. And I think that winning judges awards and the Delphi Driving tomorrow technology award justifies it. I would like to say that Hammond was awesome.. their concept was amazing.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-02-2001, 04:53 PM
Mentor
AKA: Tom McLean
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)

tjrage_25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to tjrage_25
Talking

Quote:
2001 Scratch Award (My favorite robot): Team 25 Bristol Meyers: All i gotta say is Pole Vault! I absolutely loved watching that thing go over the bar, such an engineering masterpiece. Congrats!

Thanks Andy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	robo-kong.gif
Views:	95
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	190  
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-02-2001, 04:59 PM
B.C.O.M. Forever!
AKA: Brian Gattman
FRC #2910 (Jack in the Bot), FRC #0365 (MOE, Alumnus)
Team Role: Engineer

gniticxe will become famous soon enough
Re: 2001 Scratch Awards

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Grady

2001 Future Superstar Award: Team 365 MOE: If they aren't already superstars, they will be next year. They have come on strong and are showing no signs of weakness.
Go MOE! Thanks Andy, we're looking forward to another exciting season with FIRST.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-02-2001, 09:05 PM
Git 'em!
no team (Robot in 3 Days)

Andrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Rudolph
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris

Best Pnuematics- I forget the team number but their name was the wrecking crew or something, The picked the goal up with pnuematics and it was cool to watch.

I think you are talking about demolition squad i think its 267. Not sure on the team#, but they used the big pistons to lift the goals and balence.

andrew
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-02-2001, 09:38 PM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly
ct, here is a picture to go with your post. it's our little arm that won us 2 regional awards and 1 national award

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2001, 10:13 PM
Wayne C.'s Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
hey- I think we did pretty good?
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)

Rookie Year: 1997
Wayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Andy

Thanks Andy-

Kong was a really fun robot for us too. Too bad we didn't do our best in the matchups- sorry about that. I'll tell the team about your compliment.

Wait til you see what's cooking for this year......see you all at Rutgers

WC
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-04-2001, 03:42 AM
Gone the way of the dinosaur
AKA: "Big Mike"
no team

Mike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mike Schroeder Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Schroeder
Talking

Hey thanks Robo Kong was a POPULAR ! robot out there
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-04-2001, 08:33 PM
#0365 (Miracle Workerz)

AlexM is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to AlexM Send a message via AIM to AlexM
Cool

Andy:

Thanks for the recognition. I don't know if they've been recognized yet, but I believe 133, Bonny Eagle, was defenitly a good team at Rutgers, especially with their limited resources. We won't be at Rutgers this year but we hope to see you guys at the Nationals. Cybersonics, 103, were another great team. Thanks to all who helped, and good work!
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-04-2001, 09:04 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Clark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx for the 2001 Trapeze Artist Award ..........

(does this picture work?)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: