OCCRA
Go to Post The best metrics are your own. Do you see the impact of your efforts in your community? Do you feel like you should/could have won Chairman's, but another team was even more deserving? That's how you know FIRST is really working. - dcarr [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Mentor
AKA: Clint Ott
FRC #1730 (Team Driven)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
Drivencrazy has a spectacular aura aboutDrivencrazy has a spectacular aura aboutDrivencrazy has a spectacular aura about
What to Expect In Atlanta

Hey guys, I am a rookie on my team this year. Even though our team has been to the championship in Atlanta 4 out of its 5 years of existence, I am still having trouble grasping what the experience will be like. I have an ever growing amount of questions on almost all topics. I was wondering if anyone could give me a better idea as to how it is in comparrison with regionals and what, if anything, I need to be ready for so I don't pass out.

All comments will be helpful

Thank You.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2009, 08:55 PM
.999~=1
FRC #0399 (Eagle Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
Brad Voracek is a glorious beacon of lightBrad Voracek is a glorious beacon of lightBrad Voracek is a glorious beacon of lightBrad Voracek is a glorious beacon of lightBrad Voracek is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Brad Voracek
Re: What to Expect In Atlanta

What are your questions?! Post em up.

First things first is there are four divisions, of the top teams in the world competing. there's four, slightly large regionals running simultaneously. It's hard to grasp until you see it. The winners of these divisions will play on Einstein, to become world champions.

The biggest difference though, in my opinion, is the pits are a half mile away from the arena. It's quite a hike for every match =)

Team 399 - Eagle Robotics
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2009, 08:55 PM
"Oh Boom, Right There"
AKA: Andrew Ewing
FRC #0348 (Norwell Robotics) ; FRC #1493 (The Falcons)
Team Role: College Student

andrew348 is a splendid one to beholdandrew348 is a splendid one to beholdandrew348 is a splendid one to beholdandrew348 is a splendid one to beholdandrew348 is a splendid one to beholdandrew348 is a splendid one to beholdandrew348 is a splendid one to behold

There is no comparison between regional and the Championships. The pits are massive. It is a 5-10 minute walk between the pits in the convention center and the field in the Dome. The experience is one of the best I have had in FIRST

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2009, 08:58 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

4 extra-large regionals in one venue. Stand clear of the doors when they open, because you'll have tens of thousands of people heading for their pits/the fields simultaneously.

Oh, and throw in FLL and FTC teams for good measure.

When Championships were in Houston, there were two sets of ramps into the pit area. A volunteer reported that he got to the middle of the pits and then the door opened at one set. There was an immediate river of people.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2009, 09:00 PM
Currently teamless
no team

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

You'll see a lot of copied, ahem, similar uniforms in Atlanta.

Looks like 1730 and 11 will be matching this year.

Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT | ['11-'12]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929 | ['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT | ['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2009, 09:02 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

you will never forget the first time you come through the tunnel into the arena.

2012 Boilermaker Engineering Excellence Award
2010 Boilermaker Rockwell Innovation in Control Award.
2009 Buckeye J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2009 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2008 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2007 St Louis Regional Winners
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2009, 09:03 PM
FRC #2338 (Gear it Forward)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2008
Creator Mat is a jewel in the roughCreator Mat is a jewel in the roughCreator Mat is a jewel in the roughCreator Mat is a jewel in the rough

Is there a difference between the divisions beyond names or is it just random?

2010 Midwest Spirit award
2010 Midwest Quarterfinalists
2010 Wisconsin Quarterfinalists
2009 Midwest Finalists
2009 Wisconsin Quarterfinalists
2008 Midwest Rookie AllStars
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2009, 09:15 PM
Are our seeding points over 9000?
FRC #0201 (FEDS)

Rookie Year: 2008
Alex Dinsmoor has a brilliant futureAlex Dinsmoor has a brilliant futureAlex Dinsmoor has a brilliant futureAlex Dinsmoor has a brilliant futureAlex Dinsmoor has a brilliant futureAlex Dinsmoor has a brilliant futureAlex Dinsmoor has a brilliant futureAlex Dinsmoor has a brilliant futureAlex Dinsmoor has a brilliant futureAlex Dinsmoor has a brilliant futureAlex Dinsmoor has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Alex Dinsmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator Mat View Post
Is there a difference between the divisions beyond names or is it just random?
It's all random

'08, '09, '10
4 Years | 14 Competitions | 194 Matches | 119 Wins | 77 Losses | 2 Silver | 1 Gold
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2009, 09:17 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
My Other Car is a 500 HP Turbine
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

Rookie Year: 1942
Chris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond repute

Some basics for you

there are four divisons of randomly grouped teams, based on team number. the mix provides a similar level of experience levels in each division. the only difference between the divisions is their name - there is not one that is intentionally better than another.

in the dome, there are 5 fields. the four division fields and einstein.

each division will have about 70 - 75 teams, and you only play teams in your division, unless you get to einstein. you will probably have practice time on thursday, and then about 7 matches friday day and saturday morning. Then, the top 8 select partners, and there is an elimination tourney for each division, with division winners. the divison winners, with one alternate backup, then play in 2 2 team brackets to determine the world champs. these matches are on einstein.

in the pits, teams are arranged by division, and there are two practices fields, two divisions share each one. There are large video screens in the pits so you can watch the action on the field and see rankings.

there is no audio queing - you have to pay attention to match times and the video screens.

it is about a 10 minute walk with the robot to from the pits to the field. make sure you have a cart. only the drive team can go on the robot path, everyone else goes a different way from the pits to the fields.

there are also presentations from FIRST teams and mentors, Autodesk, lus companies and colleges there with materials on display.

and, the hall of fame, with previous years championship Chairmans Award winners and some awesome displays about their teams and their programs.

opening ceremony is Friday morning, awards are mixed in with the final tourney matches on Einstein. There are no awards or closing program on Friday night.

saturday after awards is the closing finale.

hopefully this helps!

It is an awesome time - have fun!
2010 - Woodie Flowers Award - Championship
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2009, 09:20 PM
AKA: Ellen McIsaac
FRC #1124 (‹berBots)

smurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to smurfgirl

As helpful as all comments may be, I am sure you will have trouble grasping what the Championship will be like until you get there and see for yourself. It is breathtaking- thousands of thousands of students in colorful and wacky garb with a passion for engineering will pour down the escalators, flood the pits, and fill the stands. The excitement levels are even greater than your regional competition, if you can believe it. People are louder, competition is tougher, and impossibly, it is even more fun. Four giant, competitive regionals going on simultaneously. Hundreds of teams. Thousands of students. Countless memories. Infinite fun. You'll love it, I promise you that.

If you have any specific questions, I'm sure all of us who have experienced the magic that is the FIRST Championship would love to answer.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2009, 09:29 PM
FRC #1712 (Dawgma)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2006
Delia is a splendid one to beholdDelia is a splendid one to beholdDelia is a splendid one to beholdDelia is a splendid one to beholdDelia is a splendid one to beholdDelia is a splendid one to beholdDelia is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Delia

You should expect everything!

It's a little scary at first how big it is, the 10 minute walk, the number of people in the stands. But it's just like 3 days of constant energy. And it's amazing the kinds of people you can meet there.

Oh and there's a rockin party on Saturday night hosted by FIRST. It makes the team socials from regional events look so sad...

One thing that is different from some regionals is that because the dome is so far from the pits if you're spending most of your day in the stands scouting matches/cheering you probably won't see your drive team or pit crew much at all during the day.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2009, 09:31 PM
AKA: Becky
no team
Team Role: Communications

Rookie Year: 2007
BeckyHand is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivencrazy View Post
Hey guys, I am a rookie on my team this year. Even though our team has been to the championship in Atlanta 4 out of its 5 years of existence, I am still having trouble grasping what the experience will be like. I have an ever growing amount of questions on almost all topics. I was wondering if anyone could give me a better idea as to how it is in comparrison with regionals and what, if anything, I need to be ready for so I don't pass out.

All comments will be helpful

Thank You.
Hi Team Driven friend, we, the Broncobots, team 1987, went to Nationals last year and its huge and busy. Imagine a regional times 7. There are sooo many pits and many things going on at once. The pits are detached from the actual field, so get ready to walk if you need something. Also, be prepared to meet lots of new people! It is so much fun.
Here is the area between the pits and the fields.

See ya there!
Becky

http://www.teambroncobots.com
http://www.teambroncobots.com/wordpress

Last edited by BeckyHand : 03-31-2009 at 09:33 PM.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2009, 09:46 PM
Adam Reed ~ FIRST Volunteer
AKA: Adam Reed
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E)

A_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to beholdA_Reed is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fultz View Post
in the dome, there are 5 fields. the four division fields and einstein.
Plus one more field for FTC called da Vinci, and the last time I went ('06) Einstein was used for FLL on Thursday and Friday.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2009, 06:59 AM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Reed View Post
Plus one more field for FTC called da Vinci, and the last time I went ('06) Einstein was used for FLL on Thursday and Friday.
DaVinci has two FTC fields on it, and Einstein is still used for FLL.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2009, 07:52 AM
FRC #0365 (MOE)

Carol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryVoshol View Post
DaVinci has two FTC fields on it, and Einstein is still used for FLL.
The two FTC fields are Da Vinci and Franklin. They are used only Thursday and Friday.

And to be technical, the Einstein field is only put up on Saturday. The space where the Einstein field used for FLL on Friday and Saturday (and maybe Thursday? I don't remember).

Attached is a photo form 2005 of the dome floor. (Kudos to whoever crawled up and took this - it wasn't me!). You can see the six field locations and get a sense of the enormous space.

And don't forget the robot conferences, programming seminars, FIRST store, etc. As rookies you should particularly check out the conferences - lots of good information there. (And not just because I'm helping with one of them).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grandView.jpeg
Views:	272
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	7770  

MOE 2007 Chairman's Video by MOE video team and Paul Lazarus http://moe365.org/CHMN_AWD_video_2008.php
MOE 10-Year Video Celebration on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETcSMUBUqEs

Last edited by Carol : 04-01-2009 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: