OCCRA
Go to Post And just remember, it's an engineer's world. Without us, everyone is powerless, literally. - JoeXIII'007 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Control System
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2009, 09:01 AM
Flybotix Fanatic
FRC #1885 (iLITE)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute
Brushless Motor Microcontoller

I can't seem to find a direct answer to this question, so I have to ask! I want to get into R/C in the offseason, yet I don't simply want to drive the car .. I want it to mess around with autonomous driving. I don't doubt that the micro controller requirements will grow as I get more involved with this, but for the first year I need a controller that's capable of handling 6 analog sensors, 6 digital sensors, 1 servo output and 1-2 outputs for brushless motors.

The problem I have with this is that I'm not sure if a brushless motor control is the same as a brushed motor control, from the communications signal perspective. For instance -- can I use the VEX microcontroller I already have to control a brushless motor controller that supports a PWM input? I've forgotten most of what I learned as an EE where analog circuits are concerned since I've done mostly embedded and upper-level programming since I got out of college ... so purchasing a chip (like an arduino) and designing a circuit is alot more than I'd like to have to do at the moment.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2009, 10:09 AM
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)

Rookie Year: 2005
billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Brushless Motor Microcontoller

As far as I know, hobby style brushless motor controllers use the same 1-2ms, ~50Hz PWM signal that the brushed controllers use. This is very convenient in that a ton of work has already been done for you.

Additionally, there is already a "motor shield" built for the Arduino that meets many of your stated needs. Although, I am not certain if you will be able to use all your sensors with it AND drive all the motors.

Take a look at what is available with the Arduino, it may just be the ticket you want.

Look at Sparkfun and Adafruit. Both have a good selection of options.

CalGames 2009 Semi Finalist, CalGames 2009 Autonomous Champion Award winner
Sacramento 2010 Creativity in Design winner, Sacramento 2010 Quarter finalist, 2010 Madtown Creative Design Award
2011 Sacramento Finalist, 2011 Madtown Engineering Inspiration Award
2012 Sacramento Semi-Finals, 2012 Sacramento Innovation in Control Award, 2012 SVR Judges Award.
2012 CalGames Autonomous Challenge Award winner ($$$).
2013 Pow3rhou53 Pwnage Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC). Curie Division, Gracious Professionalism Award.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Andrew Lynch
FRC #2587 (DiscoBots)

Rookie Year: 2001
lynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond reputelynca has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lynca

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseK View Post
The problem I have with this is that I'm not sure if a brushless motor control is the same as a brushed motor control, from the communications signal perspective. For instance -- can I use the VEX microcontroller I already have to control a brushless motor controller that supports a PWM input?
Yes, VEX should be able to send a PWM signal to a a brushless motor controller.
Look carefully at your motor specifications before selecting a Brushless Motor controller.
I suggest browsing a few of the R/C hobby websites.
TowerHobbies , HobbyLobby

If you want to go into more detail,
Sensorless Brushless Control
Luminary Micro Brushless Reference Design Kit
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Electronics/programming/design
AKA: Aaron Osmer
FRC #3529 (ausTIN CANs)

Rookie Year: 2007
daltore has a spectacular aura aboutdaltore has a spectacular aura aboutdaltore has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to daltore Send a message via MSN to daltore Send a message via Yahoo to daltore Send a message via Skype™ to daltore

Looking at the Adafruit link, this shield looks like it has everything you need. 2 servo ports, those would be your brushless ones, and 4 DC outputs, so you can run either 4 DC motors, 2 stepper motors, or one stepper motor and 1/2 DC motors. It also has 6 analog input ports, and it looks like 14 digital IO (not sure which ones are in, out, or bidirectional). As long as you're on the shy side of that "1-2 brushless" quantity, you'll be fine. I'm guessing the servo would have been for Ackermann steering? Anyway, good luck.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: