OCCRA
Go to Post Feelings are like the laws of physics: if some one feels offended or alienated, then they are offended or alienated - it doesnt matter why you dropped a hammer, if it falls on someones head they will be hurt. You cant expect it to not hurt, because you did not intend to hurt them. - KenWittlief [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-22-2009, 07:09 AM
FRC #3075
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2009
assaf2b is a jewel in the roughassaf2b is a jewel in the roughassaf2b is a jewel in the rough
Introducing Our Younger Students to FLL

Hello,

This year has been our FRC Rookie year, and seeing as how helpful and committed the community here was about helping my team with its re-organization for next year, I thought I'd ask another important question as well, hopefully to achieve the same results.

Having won the Rookie All-Star award at the regionals, we think that in order to make a good impression and prove everyone that we're a serious team, we should aim for Chariman's this year.

A good first step in doing that, we thought, would be to introduce FIRST's FLL to our younger students, and thus contribute to the involvement of our school in Robotics even further.

Now, I'd like to know, if we actually do go for it... what kind of involvement would be required from us, other than just being the mediator. It's pretty obvious that we'll be helping them out with management and all the technical issues, but is there anything else other than that?

Also, how does FIRST knows that we were the ones who helped create a new FLL team (i.e how does it count towards our chances of winning Chariman's)?

If you happen to not understand something, please say so and I'll explain it further.

All input and feedback will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Assaf
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-22-2009, 08:06 AM
AKA: Jon Mittelman
FRC #2648 (Infinite Loop)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
Jon236 has a reputation beyond reputeJon236 has a reputation beyond reputeJon236 has a reputation beyond reputeJon236 has a reputation beyond reputeJon236 has a reputation beyond reputeJon236 has a reputation beyond reputeJon236 has a reputation beyond reputeJon236 has a reputation beyond reputeJon236 has a reputation beyond reputeJon236 has a reputation beyond reputeJon236 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon236
Re: Introducing Our Younger Students to FLL

Asaf,

There are many ways to help promote FLL....the simplest way to start is to approach the middle (or elementary) school that feeds your high school and discuss the program with the principal. Offer to help mentor the team....this is where your future FRC team members will come from! Another way is to simply tap younger siblings of your FRC teammates to form a team. Have a parent host the team while your FRC team provides guidance.

For ideas about how this can contribute to the Chairman's Award....see the Tick's webpage here http://sites.team236.org/2009/chairman-s-award As Judge Advisor, I want all the teams in Israel to work towards this goal. It took the Ticks 11 years.......so hang in there!

Good Luck!

TechnoTicks Mentor 2000-2011
Championship Chairman's Award 2009

Judge and Inspector 2010-2012 Championships
Judge Advisor Tel Aviv Regional 2007-2012
Judge Advisor Pine Tree Regional 2013
Maine Regional Planning Committee
New England District Planning Committee
Lead Inspector Microsoft Tel Aviv Regional 2006-2008
Judge & Lead Inspector GM/Technion Tel Aviv Regional 2006
Judge UTC Hartford Regional 2006
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-22-2009, 09:23 AM
VEX Robotics Education Mgr.
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now U.P. Robotics (other programs))

Rookie Year: 2001
Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Kressly

If you want a very easy, inexpensive "way in" take a good look at Jr. FLL for 6-9 year olds. Very inexpensive and easy to do. We ran two Jr. FLL Expos this past year at nearly no expense, one of them entirely coordinated by one of our seniors. Here are the details: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2264

Education Manager, VEX Robotics, Inc.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Currently teamless
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Each FLL coach also receives a Coach's Manual. It outlines the goals and usual structure of an FLL team from team size to involvement of the adult or student mentors. One thing the students sometimes need help with is presentation skills and research skills for their research project. As you may know, the research presentation is a big part of FLL competitions as its the first introduction kids have to being aware of their future's problems and also how they can solve them.

If you want to get into further discussion just IM me at lilstogi or drop me an email at lilstogi@gmail

Basically what Jon and Rich said are spot on. JFLL and FLL at the same time are also things you can do. Some consider successful JFLL programs to be even more impressive. Imagine having both!

Also if you need chairmans help or advice feel free to contact me. I've gathered a lot of Chairmans resources over the years from various teams and websites that I can share.

Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT | ['11-'12]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929 | ['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT | ['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-22-2009, 03:53 PM
4 Banners, 6 medals, 1 insane year!
AKA: Brendan Browne, Sensei, Mentuar
FRC #3467 (Windham Windup Robotics) 1519 (Alumni)

Rookie Year: 2003
BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to BrendanB

FLL is a great way to get kids involved with FIRST, most of our team has come from an FLL background as did I. Our team originated from the FLL team Mindstorms Mayhem and had a second team More Mayhem. Many of our members mentor FLL and volunteer at the New Hampshire State Competition.

We incorporated FLL into our Chairmans submission in our video- http://www.mechanicalmayhem.org/teamvideos.asp as well as in booklets we made for the judges to read through.

Hope that all goes well for you guys!

2013 Pine Tree Regional Champions with 2648 and 2386 + Engineering Excellence Award
2013 Archimedes Judges Award
2014 UNH District Champions with 58 & 4555 + Chairmans Award
2014 Northeastern District Champions with 125 & 5000 + Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 New England District Championship Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 Archimedes Division Champions with 2590, 1625, & 1477
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-23-2009, 05:44 AM
Ask not what your team can do 4u...
AKA: The American living in Australia
FRC #3132 (Thunder Down Under), FRC #2342 (Team Phoenix)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
Phoenix Spud has a brilliant futurePhoenix Spud has a brilliant futurePhoenix Spud has a brilliant futurePhoenix Spud has a brilliant futurePhoenix Spud has a brilliant futurePhoenix Spud has a brilliant futurePhoenix Spud has a brilliant futurePhoenix Spud has a brilliant futurePhoenix Spud has a brilliant futurePhoenix Spud has a brilliant futurePhoenix Spud has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanB View Post
FLL is a great way to get kids involved with FIRST, most of our team has come from an FLL background as did I. Our team originated from the FLL team Mindstorms Mayhem and had a second team More Mayhem. Many of our members mentor FLL and volunteer at the New Hampshire State Competition.

We incorporated FLL into our Chairmans submission in our video- http://www.mechanicalmayhem.org/teamvideos.asp as well as in booklets we made for the judges to read through.

Hope that all goes well for you guys!
I agree with Brendan, FLL really helped prepare me for FLL. In order for it to count for you chairmen's just tell the judges you mentored the teams. Some pix or quotes would really hit the nail on the head as well!

FIRST® TEAM 3132
Thunder Down Under
Sydney, Australia

Last edited by Phoenix Spud : 06-23-2009 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Type-o!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Sunny
FRC #5283

Rookie Year: 2007
ttldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond repute

If this is for students in middle/elementary school, then I would recommend FLL but if this is for your younger students, like freshmen, I would recommend FTC.

As for supporting an FLL team, generally anything can in the realm of support. Programming help, building help, presentation help, fundraising help, competition help, and much much more can all be very benefitial to a FLL team.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Big new things, with some purple.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth, AndyMark)

Rookie Year: 2005
Nick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute

FLL has brought me right up through the ranks of FIRST, all the way to FRC.

We here at 1503 have been working on our outreach programs, and the centerfold of them is having FLL at our feeder schools. I've written letters to the Ministry of Education for years, along with our schoolboard, to get Lego kits at all of our elementary schools under their jurisdiction. Persistence pays off, our schoolboard has donated Lego NXT Mindstorms kits to every elementary school in their area. Other boards are looking to do the same.

Anyways, we hook schools by explaining the values of FIRST, what FLL is all about, and several demonstrations of FIRST on all competition levels. Presentations are obviously geared more towards grade 6-8s, so nothing too technical. But kids are attracted to big, shiny robots that do cool things.

Make sure you demonstrate a FLL robot or two, as the kids would like to know what they're getting into. Sure they might see this big FRC robot, but really the focus should be on FLL. We show FRC as "this is what FLL leads to, especially if you go to our school." So it's a win win for our school, and our team.

When their season rolls around, make sure you have a couple FRC students on hand who are experienced with FLL to teach them things like how to program their robot, how to build simple mechanisms, etc. I will be mentoring 4 teams this year, because I'm the only one on my team who has gone through the continuum. Mind you, there will be other teammates at the schools I'll be helping too. Winging it alone is generally a bad thing.

Any more questions? PM me. Happy to help!

-Nick
(2012-???): Member, VEXU NAR, North American Robotics
(2014-???): Mentor, CyberTooth

Success doesn't always equate to match wins. It's about the wins off the field.

Last edited by Nick Lawrence : 06-23-2009 at 01:58 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: