OCCRA
Go to Post This is ChiefDelphi. There are threads on everything! - LauraN [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #3694 (Warbotz)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur
Re: Exploring The 'We're All Winners' Concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molten View Post
I've always thought its how we deal with both success and failure that decides how we do. I guess if I decide that if I get an A for this class, I won't work as hard on the next one...your logic is true. But I find this to simply not be the case in people who truly succeed. People who succeed in life keep trying hard regardless of whether or not they win. I look at success as more of a desire in this scenario. Give a kid a taste of success and they usually work harder. In any case, they don't give up.

I've heard your argument several times in this thread and I've never witnessed it happening in life. Perhaps I don't have enough data to say that nobody works that way, but I can certainly say alot of people don't.
Please note that I do not equate success and winning, nor failure and losing. You can win a competition and still fail at the really important things, as well as lose a competition and succeed at the important things.

But "we're all winners" implies that nobody loses. Without winners and losers there is no competition ... it's just an exhibition. Many people put social stigmas to winning and losing, but in truth, all competitions have them and in order to improve you need to look at your successes and failures within the competition (not wins and losses) so that you may improve yourself.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. "
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

When I created this thread, I had no idea which direction it would move in or how it would move. It has continued to trigger thoughts and ideas to contemplate and for me, that is always a welcome aspect of participating in CD.

One of the latest thoughts is how cool it would be to create a book title called, We Are All Winners. Then, within the pages of the book would be stories of the teams or members of the team they are a part of and what they have achieved as individuals and as a group, in aspiring to achieve their goals and dreams, overcoming the challenges and obstacles that they have met and overcome. Whether these teams have bling to showcase or not, wouldn't matter in such a book. The actual value and worth would be in the struggle and hardship of the journey and what that forged with each step taken.

I think our HoF teams could contribute pages, chapters, perhaps whole books, regarding what it took to become a Hall of Fame team. What that effort cost. What was gained but also, what was lost. Therein lies the beauty and the wonder of the words, We Are All Winners.

I think.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 07-28-2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: typo
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2009, 05:28 PM
FF Pure Mi
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=JaneYoung;868201]
One of the latest thoughts is how cool it would be to create a book title called, We Are All Winners.

[quote]

Hmmm. Seems like there could be an interesting archive project. To create a collection of "Within FIRST" written by FIRST folk, written for Inspiration.

"books" within the series:

"We are all winners" a book of people and teams reaching their goals or surpassing their own expectations.

"WFFA" A copilation of WFFA essays. Bring your own tissues!

"What it takes to be in the FIRST hall of Fame" This could be a compilation of the entries or videos created afterwards.

"Making it" struggles of your Rookie Years.

#34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Gary Dillard's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Generator of Entropy
AKA: you know, the old bald guy
FRC #2973 (The Mad Rockers)

Rookie Year: 1998
Gary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Gary Dillard

When I saw the topic of this thread, I burst out laughing. True confession time:

At my very first FIRST championship (1998 at EPCOT) we were sitting way up in the stands just before the closing ceremonies, and I said to the team (SPAM), "How long do you think it will be before someone says 'We're all winners'"? It was about 5 minutes; Woodie said it, and our whole team let out a loud, simutaneous "YES!" There was high fiving and fist pumping, then we realized we were getting more than a few strange looks. Oops.
UTC held a breakfast the next morning for all the corporate teams and the same question was raised. True to form we didn't have to wait long. This time we just giggled for the rest of the presentation.
Since then, I have never been disappointed. Someone always comes through at every competition. And we just look at each other, look at our watches, and nod.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. You're all winners.
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2009, 10:29 PM
ChrisH's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Generally Useless
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)

ChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond repute

I see the start of a new game thread. Maybe a pool on how far into the Closing Ceremonies it will be mentioned first? or how many times, or which "celebrity" will have the honors? all of the above? Maybe do a trail run for IRI?

Just an idea for somebody to run with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dillard View Post
When I saw the topic of this thread, I burst out laughing. True confession time:

At my very first FIRST championship (1998 at EPCOT) we were sitting way up in the stands just before the closing ceremonies, and I said to the team (SPAM), "How long do you think it will be before someone says 'We're all winners'"? It was about 5 minutes; Woodie said it, and our whole team let out a loud, simutaneous "YES!" There was high fiving and fist pumping, then we realized we were getting more than a few strange looks. Oops.
UTC held a breakfast the next morning for all the corporate teams and the same question was raised. True to form we didn't have to wait long. This time we just giggled for the rest of the presentation.
Since then, I have never been disappointed. Someone always comes through at every competition. And we just look at each other, look at our watches, and nod.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. You're all winners.

"Who is John Galt?"
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2009, 07:00 PM
Coach Drew?!?!
AKA: Drew Disbury
FRC #1251 (TechTigers)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
techtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to techtiger1

I would like to start off by saying this is an EPIC thread/ discussion.
FIRST in my opinion has always done a great job at making everyone see themselves as a winner . I mean every year I see that completed robot on the field scoring points and getting cheered for it makes me feel like I am a winner. This is just for the students. From a mentor perspective we get to see shy, timid high school kids become leaders in there community and that folks is where we really are winning. As a matter of fact I would trade all of my regional wins in for more students who are interested, want to learn and being able to attract great mentors to the team. This too many is how you know you are a winner not winning the event. How many people did your team impact this year. Now breaking off into a entirely different direction another lesson learned in FIRST is that to be "winners" you need to work hard, learn as much as you can and realize everything is not fair but you need to work with what you have. Invaluable real world experience if you ask me because becoming a "winner" doesn't happen overnight it takes a lot of hard work and dedication. Ask any of the veteran teams at the top of their game right now it wasn't handed to them. In conclusion, I feel FIRST has a very good balance on this subject and in the end they do make everyone feel like winners.
Urban planning major aka I design cities
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2009, 09:41 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 2006
Robert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to behold

True, but I still think that the term has been over used so much that it really has lost much of it's meaning. Maybe we need to find a different way to express the concept.
2012 Greater Kansas City Regional Imagery Award
"It doesn't hurt to be smart as long as you don't out-think yourself." -- Steve Fujita Former KC Chiefs player.
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Cawthon View Post
True, but I still think that the term has been over used so much that it really has lost much of it's meaning. Maybe we need to find a different way to express the concept.
I think it has lost its meaning not just because of its overuse but how it has been used. If FIRSTers are mindful of how they use popular FIRST sound bites, then they can be very effective. Dr. Flowers is wise in his use of sound bites and how they help convey the message or messages that he is sharing with all of us. The sound bite can become a philosophy, a starting point, an attitude - when carefully and mindfully expressed.

Sound bites and popular phrases have their place and can inspire. They can also be ignored, ridiculed, misused, and applied in ways that can become misconstrued if our leaders are not mindful when working with teams, sponsors, and communities.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Brett Heininger, AndyMark Media Guy
FRC #1529 (CybrCards & AndyMark)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
DiehardCybercard has much to be proud ofDiehardCybercard has much to be proud ofDiehardCybercard has much to be proud ofDiehardCybercard has much to be proud ofDiehardCybercard has much to be proud ofDiehardCybercard has much to be proud ofDiehardCybercard has much to be proud ofDiehardCybercard has much to be proud ofDiehardCybercard has much to be proud ofDiehardCybercard has much to be proud of

I just read through every post in this thread. This thread makes me feel proud of FIRST, of what Dean set out to create.

Reading the posts on this thread show just how intelligent and how much thought the FIRST community has. There are so many people who have so much knowledge and wisdom, and you can see it at the competitions, you can see it here on CD.

Thank you Jane for starting this thread. I believe that "we are all winners" has its place and time, but cannot be over used for loss of its meaning and vision of FIRST.

Im glad so many people gave their input
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2009, 01:13 AM
no team

Rich Olivera has much to be proud ofRich Olivera has much to be proud ofRich Olivera has much to be proud ofRich Olivera has much to be proud ofRich Olivera has much to be proud ofRich Olivera has much to be proud ofRich Olivera has much to be proud ofRich Olivera has much to be proud ofRich Olivera has much to be proud ofRich Olivera has much to be proud of

In short: we aren't all winners, but we can be

The statement "We're all winners" assumes that you have come out of the program with more technical knowlege/skill, with stronger character, or with substantial personal growth. These things only happen when you truly challenge yourself to achieve something, when you have the courage to push hard for an outcome even at the risk of having to endure failure. FIRST, more than any other program I have seen or been a part of, offers the opportunity to strive for this definition of "winning". It isn't easy building a competitve robot in six weeks. It isn't easy trying to foster interest in science and technology all while building ties to your of community. It isn't easy maintaining gracious professionalism while working hard to meet these ends.
All of us fall short in some way or another. However, the winners are the ones who refine their methods year after year. They are the ones who make better of themselves and, in turn, the world around them. FIRST gives everyone the chance to be a winner but its up to each of us to make that choice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: