OCCRA
Go to Post Well, we put it in the bag at 11:58 last night. Needless to say we had to pull guys off of it to put it in the bag. I hope we didn't miss somebody and bag him up too. - jimwick [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What Happens To Your Attitude Towards Gracious Professionalism When You Leave FIR

I don't necessarily think something is wrong if I'm wondering about Gracious Professionalism, Joe. It doesn't bother me a bit that I enjoy thinking about the goals and mission of FIRST as I understand them to be. Gracious Professionalism is a part of that. Developing professional partnerships on a global basis yet treating each other with kindness and grace, even while being competitive - I see nothing wrong with wonder-ing about that, being inspired by that, and thinking about the efforts that FIRST teams put into inspiring students and the general public/communities. But as students graduate, move on, leave FIRST (or seem to), does anything stick? That's what I'm wondering about in this thread.
--
Happy Birthday, Joe.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.
Re: What Happens To Your Attitude Towards Gracious Professionalism When You Leave FIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
You would prefer I had lied and said that the real world was full of roses and bunnies and rainbows? I could do that but I felt it was more important to let the students know the real world doesn't want GP, it wants profit. GP can't be gently put into the real world.
Oooo please. You can have gracious professionalism which then in turn helps you profit. I had a pump that was being repaired for $2,000. It is an expensive pump at that. The person repairing the pump noticed that something unusual happened to it. A person traveled all the way to our laboratory to help us figure out what damaged the pump. Did the company have to do that? No. Did they earn my trust and appreciation for helping correct a problem that no one knew existed? Yes. I probably ended up scaring the guy because I was really happy to know of a problem involving a million dollar instrument that I was not aware of. Will I shop there again for my pumping needs? Yes. Will I know that they have my best interests? Yes.
Quote:
Most of us aren't going to "change the world".
Bah.... That is only because you gave up. The world is a big place. Huge in fact. Its easy to change the world in some way. Will you end up becoming famous? Hell no.
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill

Last edited by Adam Y. : 09-06-2009 at 04:47 PM.
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Travis Hoffman's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Canada!!!!!!!11111!!111
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Travis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeckley View Post
I believe that the effectiveness of what we call GP (it goes by other names outside of FRC) cannot be judged early in one's life. It's a much longer-term investment, yet offers surprisingly high returns. Just like 401(k) plans, the important thing is to keep making contributions even when it seems there's no reward for it.

Corollary - And make sure you don't invest all your 401(k) contributions in only your "employer's company" (i.e. team). Spread a decent amount of those contributions around to other "companies" you feel can yield big returns one day.

This is true on both literal and figurative levels.
NEOFRA / Delphi E.L.I.T.E. FLL Regional Partner
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-07-2009, 02:05 PM
AKA: Jason
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Hoffman View Post
This is true on both literal and figurative levels.
I'm GP diversified. Are you?

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
–Gruffi Gummi, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: