OCCRA
Go to Post Its a good bug too. :) - spadercool [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2009, 02:47 PM
AKA: Jeff
FRC #1986 (Team Titanium)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
jspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jspatz1 Send a message via Skype™ to jspatz1
Team 1986 introduces our Guitar Hero Robot

FRC 1986, Team Titanium, would like to introduce TITAN, our new Guitar Hero Robot.

Anyone who had the chance to see the guitar hero machine at the National Instruments booth in Atlanta this year can understand why we were inspired to build one of our own. We came home from Atlanta thinking somehow, some way, we must have one of those. After a whole summer of experimenting, programming, testing, prototyping, building, and tinkering, we have a GH bot!

The big challenge was to build a bot that could perform the demanding machine vision task, and the high speed mechanical task, for a low cost that we could afford. We could not spend thousands of $$$ on the kind of high-end hardware in a system like NI's. NI uses their robot to showcase their industrial vision system and I/O controller, as well as some nice pneumatics. If we were going to do this, we needed to accomplish it with much less hardware.

Initially we assumed that the frame rate and picture quality of a typical web cam couldn't possibly do the job. And that a typical computer using USB I/O probably wasn't sufficient either. Both assumptions turned out to be wrong. This robot runs in LabView on a Dell laptop, with USB video from an inexpensive web cam, and USB output to a solid state relay board. Our initial experiments with video techniques in LabView were very encouraging, and showed us we could do the note recognition and outputs well enough to proceed further. So we spent some money on the mechanical piece, and after some "finger" prototypes using low-voltage solenoids, we were convinced that a robot could be built within our means. But we had no idea if it could perform well enough to even be interesting. We did some design work, and spent the summer making parts and getting it together.

Several others besides NI have built guitar hero robots (just do a search), mostly college lab projects. But many have taken shortcuts such as intercepting the video signal from the game console, attaching sensors to the TV screen, or outputing electrical signals directly to the guitar. We thought it was important to build a robot that had no advantage over a human opponent. It must watch the TV and play the guitar just like a human would. Rather than clamping the guitar into a frame or fixture, we thought it would be much more fun to build a life size, free-standing figure that held the guitar and played alongside its opponent. The hand mechanisms attach to the guitar, and the guitar hangs freely on the robot. We used PVC pipe to build a body, vacuum hose for arms, and the controlling laptop sits on top as the robot's head. We found a good deal on a LCD TV, and built a stand and camera mount so we have a complete package for demos. In addition to an entertaining promotional demo, we plan to use him for fundraising. For a donation you can play against the robot....after school, at football & basketball games, at the street fair, maybe even at hired gigs for parties, etc. Hopefully he can at least help pay for himself.

Many hours of trial and experimentation got the bot to where it is today. It performs beyond our wildest expectations. It routinely scores in the upper 90's in accuracy on expert level on almost any song, and can beat even the best players. But it can be turned down to lower difficulty levels when desired. We designed it to use the whammy bar and the star power bonus to help it be competative. It can be beaten....there are some songs it is not quite as good at. But at the typical demo playing with the public, it will seem virtually unbeatable to most folks.

So here is a youtube video peek....we are excited to share it with the FIRST community!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLQhX0nZV6I

Team Titanium 1986
Lee’s Summit West High School
Lee’s Summit, MO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Guitar Hero Robot 1.JPG
Views:	665
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	8064  Click image for larger version

Name:	Guitar Hero Robot 2.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	8065  Click image for larger version

Name:	Guitar Hero Robot 3.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	8066  Click image for larger version

Name:	Guitar Hero Robot 4.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	8067  Click image for larger version

Name:	Guitar Hero Robot 5.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	8068  

Last edited by jspatz1 : 08-28-2009 at 09:15 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2009, 03:13 PM
is getting his kicks.
AKA: Mark Kramarczyk
FRC #3096 (Highlanders)

Rookie Year: 2006
kramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond reputekramarczyk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team 1986 introduces our new Guitar Hero Robot

I just recently saw the NI demo from under my rock and thought it would be a cool project to raise the team's skill level in a variety of ways. Your video, however, is WAY cooler than it was in my head. Kudos for an awesome demonstration piece. I am inspired.

Brick walls are for other people. - Randy Pausch
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Currently teamless
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

That is beyond words.

Insanely impressive is all I can say.

Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT | ['11-'12]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929 | ['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT | ['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Engineering Mentor
FRC #5403 (Aluminosity)
Team Role: Leadership

Josh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Drake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash Rastogi View Post
That is beyond words.

Agreed!
An off-season project that can help pay for itself.
15' FRC rookie 5403
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2009, 04:20 PM
#include coffee.h
FRC #1745 (P51- Mustangs)

Rookie Year: 2004
Stuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Stuart

. . . wow . . .
Proud mentor of Team #1745 the P-51 Mustangs

If at first it doesn't work, use a hammer.
If that doesn't work, use a bigger hammer.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2009, 04:43 PM
+1 is BIGGER than -1
AKA: Joshua Manela
FRC #2586 (Fondy Fire)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
jmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to behold

...omg
||2009|| Entrepeneurship Award, QF - Traverse City | Rookie All Star, QF - Detroit | Highest Rookie Seed, Rookie All Star, QF - Michigan State Championship | Finalist - MARC ||2010|| Engineering Inspiration, Website Award, SF- Kettering | Judges Award, Website Award, SF - Detroit | Website Award, Winner, Michigan State Champ //Thank you 469 and 1918!! | Finalist - MARC ||2011|| Engineering Inspiration, Website - Kettering | Entrepreneurship, Website, Finalist - Waterford | Website - MSC
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2009, 05:37 PM
The CAD Guy
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
Rion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond repute

That is simply amazing! And a great off-season challenge as well!

I have one question. Can it start starpower mode?

EDIT: Never mind. Just saw it do that.

Last edited by Rion Atkinson : 08-28-2009 at 07:31 PM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2009, 05:56 PM
University Mentor
AKA: Alex Strong
FRC #2702 (REBotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of

Now I understand why our comp sci guys wanted to ditch the game this year and make something like this... Awesome.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2009, 07:17 PM
FRC #1178 (DURT)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2008
dpeterson3 is a jewel in the roughdpeterson3 is a jewel in the roughdpeterson3 is a jewel in the roughdpeterson3 is a jewel in the rough

Awesome. Next challenge.... Mario Kart
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2009, 07:19 PM
AKA: Alex Tannahill
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
rtfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond reputertfgnow has a reputation beyond repute

What normal human can comfortably hold and play a guitar with all five fingers from the left hand on the front of the guitar?
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Feeling Honorable
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely fantastic, and very impressive.

OK, now what WE all want to know....how'd you do it, exactly? Details!!

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash Rastogi View Post
That is beyond words.

Seconded, You guys always seem to build great stuff, but this is just stunning.

Keep up the good work! Hope you use this to help grab a second Chairman's!
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2009, 08:37 PM
AKA: Ed Barker
FRC #1311 (Kell Robotics)

ebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond repute

this is a tangential issue.

I like the way the video was shot. What kinda of camera ? what was the 'workflow' ? what video editing software ?

Ed
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2009, 08:39 PM

jspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond reputejspatz1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rotolo View Post
Absolutely fantastic, and very impressive.

OK, now what WE all want to know....how'd you do it, exactly? Details!!
Maybe we will savor it for awhile before we give out too many trade secrets.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebarker View Post
this is a tangential issue.

I like the way the video was shot. What kinda of camera ? what was the 'workflow' ? what video editing software ?

Ed
Just a simple Sony hard drive camcorder, and some editing with Windows Movie Maker. No workflow, just winged it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: