OCCRA
Go to Post We are here to both learn and teach. - Steve W [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2009, 12:18 PM
4 Banners, 6 medals, 1 insane year!
AKA: Brendan Browne, Sensei, Mentuar
FRC #3467 (Windham Windup Robotics) 1519 (Alumni)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to BrendanB
Re: FCAT dilemma -- your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBdrummer View Post
I'd show him how FIRST was featured in the discovery channel commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0jZzBEKIMc

I'd be impressed by it.
HAHA, second that idea.

But seriously, try and get some support around you for your case. As was said earlier with getting the local media, sign a petition: students, parents, friends, even try to get some local politicians on board with your case. Once you create a majority, they become a minority.

2012 GSR Motorola Quality Award and CT Motorola Quality Award
2012 & 2013 River Rage Champions with 166 & 1519 and 1517 & 2648
2013 PTR 2nd Seed and Champions with 2648 and 2386 + Engineering Excellence Award
2013 CHAMPIONSHIP Judges Award
2013 Battlecry14 Champions with 195 & 663 + Silver Star Award
2014 UNH District Champions with 58 & 4555 + Chairmans Award
2014 Northeastern District Champions with 125 & 5000 + Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 New England District Championship Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 Archimedes Division Champions with 2590, 1625, & 1477
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2009, 10:09 PM
The Banana People Are Awsome!
AKA: Nawaid Ladak
FRC #0945 (Team Banana)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2003
Nawaid Ladak has a brilliant futureNawaid Ladak has a brilliant futureNawaid Ladak has a brilliant futureNawaid Ladak has a brilliant futureNawaid Ladak has a brilliant futureNawaid Ladak has a brilliant futureNawaid Ladak has a brilliant futureNawaid Ladak has a brilliant futureNawaid Ladak has a brilliant futureNawaid Ladak has a brilliant futureNawaid Ladak has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Nawaid Ladak Send a message via MSN to Nawaid Ladak Send a message via Yahoo to Nawaid Ladak Send a message via Skype™ to Nawaid Ladak
Re: FCAT dilemma -- your opinion?

wow, I remember going through this when i was in high school.

Here is the course of action i would recommend taking.

1. As someone mentioned earlier, get it touch with other clubs/organizations that have issues with the blackout period. (who's events are educational). and see what you guys can do together. FIRST is part cooperation, so do just that.

2. Look into double standards for this procedure. cite other FIRST teams in the county (of course with their permission, we don't want it so that all the FIRST teams end up being affected by the blackout). I would specifically look into recruiting trips for senior athletes. If the school is so stern on it's policy that i does not allow seniors to travel outside the county, then those trips would be null and void.

3. Take the combined two points above to the school board and present your issue. Explain to them that your willing to work out some compromise (Seniors travel Thursday, other students travel Thurs. evening or Friday...etc.) Present the option that you can go out of state for another regional during a different week. The school board might consider that compromise and provide the difference in money for this to happen. If this doesn't work, move on to step four.

4. Use the two points above and combine them to create publicity. Get the team to make a press release, get on local news, write in the local newspaper (write in the school newspaper to get bonus points among your peers). This act should show the school that your willing to play hardball to get what you want.

5. Go to the school board and see if anything has changed. If it hasn't, wash rinse and repeat.

as for other programs, there is BEST, Battlebots and VEX, those are the ones i can think of for now.

Nawaid Ladak
2003-2006 FRC # 1402: Freedom Force. Scouting
2007 FRC # 1694: RoboWarriors. Mentor
2008-Present FRC # 945: Team Banana. Mentor

Contact me
E-mail: LadakN (at) GMail (dot) com

Twitter / Facebook / Youtube

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: