Go to Post We also have a " big daddy" hand riveter. In my estimation one could have assembled the George Washington bridge with it. - DonRotolo [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2009, 12:28 AM
AKA: Cameron Parvini
FRC #1538 (The Holy Cows)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2008
HashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond repute
New Holy Cows Website

Hey everyone,

First thread here on CD, always fun

So, I've come to put it out there we have redesigned our team's website. The site was redesigned the last year, and received an excellence award, but we realized that it was really just a fancy Photoshop job. We're pretty stoked about the new site, so much so that I wanted to share it with all of you!

http://www.team1538.com

Feedback is absolutely appreciated, and please keep in mind the transition is not COMPLETE! We have a few pages that we're trying to get content into, but those should be up in the coming weeks.

Thanks,
~Cameron
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2009, 08:41 AM
The GURU Channel
AKA: Richard Sisk
FRC #2493 (Robokong)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
rsisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to rsisk
Re: New Holy Cows Website

When you navigate to the sub pages like Media or Sponsors for example, it is odd to then have to click on the left hand menu to see stuff. It took me a moment to realize I needed to do some more clicking to get to the real content.

You should have the top item of the left hand nav menu appear when you click on one of the sub pages from the horizontal menu. OR, move the left hand nav into the body of the sub page

Also, some left nav menu items launch a new browser instance others don't and I don't see any logical reason why. Try to keep this consistent if you can.

Why Sponsor Us? page is blank, bad, bad, bad. Get rid of it or put something on it.

I can see where you are going with the web site and I think you are on the right track. It could use more of the Holy Cows branding, you guys have a very recognizable brand and you should take full advantage of it.

Last edited by rsisk : 10-12-2009 at 08:44 AM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2009, 08:47 AM
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2008
NickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond reputeNickE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsisk View Post
It could use more of the Holy Cows branding, you guys have a very recognizable brand and you should take full advantage of it.
I agree. You might consider putting cow spots in the background.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2009, 10:20 AM
The Wingman is coming for you!
AKA: Brendan Browne, Sensei, Mentuar
FRC #3467 (Windham Windup Robotics) 1519 (Alumni)

Rookie Year: 2003
BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to BrendanB

Third the idea for cow spots.

Also, the homepage is a little blank (I understand that the site is a few days old) but something like a team picture or some other type of statement/history about your team can be a good idea.

One thought, look around on other teams websites, especially the ones that have won awards just to get some inspiration for more ideas, just don't copy everything. Our team did it and came up with a couple new ideas for our site which was the best website at GSR. http://www.mechanicalmayhem.org/

Looks good so far!

2011 GSR Rookie Allstar
2012 GSR Motorola Quality Award CT Motorola Quality Award
2012 & 2013 River Rage Champions with 166 & 1519 and 1517 & 2648
2013 PTR 2nd Seed and Champions with 2648 and 2386 + Engineering Excellence Award Winners
2013 CHAMPIONSHIP Judges Award!!!
2013 Battlecry14 Champions with 195 & 663 and Silver Star Winners
2014 UNH District Champions with 58 & 4555 + Chairmans award winners
2014 Northeastern District Champions with 125 & 5000 + Engineering Inspiration Award Winners
VeloXion BAE Systems WillSeal IBM Veolia & Windham High School
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Itinerant Programmer
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

The home page needs your Holy Cow logo.

I find it odd that 365 MOE (in Delaware) hosts IndianaFIRST , but I understand that populating your content is still in progress.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Currently teamless
no team

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

I got a fever...and the only prescription...is MORE cow bell!

I could not resist. But I echo what others said. Your old website was very unique in design. I remember there were words about the characteristics of your team and its members in the background, there was grass at the bottom, and it definitely gave the feel of your team image. I also agree with rsisk that the navigation on the far left is rather odd coupled with its small size.

['13- 14]: Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT 2014 Robot Reveal
['12-'14]: Mentor FRC 2495

['11-'13]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929
['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT
['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP

Last edited by Akash Rastogi : 10-12-2009 at 10:36 AM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Winner, Chief Delphi Insanity Award
AKA: Jeremy Marr
FRC #0240 (T.E.M.P.E.S.T.)

Rookie Year: 2004
MishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of lightMishraArtificer is a glorious beacon of light

What's this? No angelic chorus, in perfect tune, singing..."MOO!"

j/k...

Looks a bit like a cross between the FIRST homepage and NASA's site.
If I may offer my suggestion? I still have dial-up at home (living in the middle of nowhere truly sucks for geeks), so if you could find a way to have low- and high-bandwidth versions of the site, that would rock. For an example, check out www.winmatrix.com for an idea of what i mean.

I wouldn't mind a chance to peek/tweak at you source code at some point, too.

Yours truly,

The Ever-Present Tinkerer.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2009, 02:57 PM
AKA: David K.
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
DMetalKong is a jewel in the roughDMetalKong is a jewel in the roughDMetalKong is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to DMetalKong

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishraArtificer View Post
I still have dial-up at home (living in the middle of nowhere truly sucks for geeks), so if you could find a way to have low- and high-bandwidth versions of the site, that would rock. For an example, check out www.winmatrix.com for an idea of what i mean.
One thing you could do to reduce the size of the page is combine the events/achievements images into a single sprite. They shouldn't be changing too often, and it would reduce the number of HTTP requests your page makes by three, as well as reducing the header data from the multiple images.

Your newsletter icons could also be combined into a single sprite, cutting two further HTTP requests.

Edit: looking through your CSS there is a lot of excess you can cut out of there. For one you specify the same font-family multiple times across multiple elements. You should consider setting it once for the body and then perhaps a class for where you want the font to be different. You can also use shorthand styles. Instead of
Code:
margin-right:auto;margin-left:auto
you can write
Code:
margin:0 auto
Also I noticed that you used 'pt' for setting font-size in the footer, which is generally a bad idea as it is an absolute measurement.

For header you have both min-width and width specified in pixels.

In your actual source, you have the doctype specified as XHTML strict, but it currently does not validate. http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...%3Fmain%3Dhome

Style-wise it looks good. It's clean, and the navigation is clearly visible. It looks virtually the same in IE 6 too, which is a nice touch.

Last edited by DMetalKong : 10-12-2009 at 03:13 PM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2009, 04:13 PM
A VEX GUy WIth A STicky SHift KEy
VRC #0010 (Exothermic Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Rick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond repute

The longer I use the Web, the less I like overblown Web design. With the average Website visitor spending just a few minutes looking for key information, any weird stuff you do, even if it makes your site "cool," is just annoying. Your new site is clean and easy to use. It inflicts little pain on the casual user, and the important stuff is easy to find. I like it.

The only content-based comment I have is that it looks a lot more like a FIRST advertisement than a site dedicated to your team. I'd like to see more emphasis on the Holy Cows on your home page and less on FIRST. If we want FIRST information there are lots of sources, but this is about the only Web presence for your team. Good luck as you flesh out the content.

VRC 10A, 10B, 10D, 10Q, 10V, 10X, 10Z, and 575
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Orange Hat
FRC #0247 (Da Bears)
Team Role: Webmaster

Rookie Year: 2009
dqmot17 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to dqmot17

The first thing i see when i open your page is "about us". And then i'm like wait, what is this and glance around the screen (now this isn't very slow, its about 1-2 seconds at most). I feel like your site is pulling left a little too much. Also, very nice minimalist theme. And i agree with the weirdness about the menu.
Lastly, my biggest pet peeve of websites: no contact. If i wanted to email you about a $1,000 money donation, i wouldn't know what to do

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: