Go to Post There MUST BE room for mistakes. Thatís one of the best ways to learn. - Ken Leung [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-13-2009, 10:33 AM
The CAD Guy
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
Rion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond repute
pic: Wheel Idea 2

Sorry. Yes, I meant Live axles.

Last edited by Rion Atkinson : 12-13-2009 at 11:03 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-13-2009, 10:38 AM
University Mentor
AKA: Alex Strong
FRC #2702 (REBotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of
Re: pic: Wheel Idea 2

The roughed Aluminium looks good for this. Only thing I would suggest is the replacement of your decorative hex holes with round holes. This would save a lot of manufacturing time.

Looks good, sort of a prehistoric ice cave themed look? (mabye its just the render lighting...)

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-13-2009, 10:44 AM
College Mentor
AKA: Trent Borman
FRC #3928 (Team Neutrino)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
Trent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to beholdTrent B is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Trent B Send a message via Yahoo to Trent B Send a message via Skype™ to Trent B

If you are planning to use dead axles, the wheel has to have bearings that fit into it so it can be driven, which means you either have to somehow find a ball bearing with a hex outside shape. Or find a bushing in the shape of a hex shape externally and put a ball bearing inside of that which doesn't make sense as bushings sort of work like bearings.

If you are planning on driving the axles, you are fine.

Direct drive wheels aka live axles (which your wheel looks like it is made for as there is no mounting hole for a sprocket) you are fine as you are.

Former 2502 Captain, now 3928 Mentor going into Materials Engineering at Iowa State University.
Have questions about Iowa State University? Feel free to IM, email or PM me
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-13-2009, 11:11 AM
The CAD Guy
no team

Rion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ,4lex S. View Post
The roughed Aluminium looks good for this. Only thing I would suggest is the replacement of your decorative hex holes with round holes. This would save a lot of manufacturing time.

Looks good, sort of a prehistoric ice cave themed look? (mabye its just the render lighting...)
Thanks, I originally had fillets on the hex holes so that during cutting the bit could just go to that point then continue on. The must have gotten deleted in all my many fixes and I didn't notice. Do you think that with the fillets it would speed it up enough or should I still change to circles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent B View Post
If you are planning to use dead axles, the wheel has to have bearings that fit into it so it can be driven, which means you either have to somehow find a ball bearing with a hex outside shape. Or find a bushing in the shape of a hex shape externally and put a ball bearing inside of that which doesn't make sense as bushings sort of work like bearings.

If you are planning on driving the axles, you are fine.

Direct drive wheels aka live axles (which your wheel looks like it is made for as there is no mounting hole for a sprocket) you are fine as you are.
I meant live axles. Sorry for the confusion, I must have gone brain dead while submitting this.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Is winter over yet?
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

As far as cool looks, it's a winner.
As far as manufacturability and efficiency, it could be further optimized:
1. Hex holes must be broached, round ones can be drilled. Unless you require a hexagonal hole, use round. (But, those hex holes in the spokes DO look cool)
2. The ring surrounding the axle area (that has those oblong slots in it) serves lettle purpose aside from adding weight. To understand why, imagine the metal 'spoke' if that ring wasn't there - it would go from the central hub to the outer rim. The ring might be distributing forces very slightly across the spokes, but not enough to make any difference. Instead beef up the center hub a little bit (thinnest area about 3/8-1/2 inch) and lengthen the spokes to fit.
3. Ease the edges of the spokes a bit.

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-13-2009, 01:33 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

How thick are the spokes? To me it seems you could get away with them being about half as thick.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Support Team 696 on DonorsChoose!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-13-2009, 03:00 PM
The Blue Alliance
FRC #0604 (Quixilver), FRC #1323 (MadTown Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2000
EugeneF has a reputation beyond reputeEugeneF has a reputation beyond reputeEugeneF has a reputation beyond reputeEugeneF has a reputation beyond reputeEugeneF has a reputation beyond reputeEugeneF has a reputation beyond reputeEugeneF has a reputation beyond reputeEugeneF has a reputation beyond reputeEugeneF has a reputation beyond reputeEugeneF has a reputation beyond reputeEugeneF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Famous View Post
Thanks, I originally had fillets on the hex holes so that during cutting the bit could just go to that point then continue on. The must have gotten deleted in all my many fixes and I didn't notice. Do you think that with the fillets it would speed it up enough or should I still change to circles?
Judging by the picture, the hex holes seem pretty small. In order to maintain the "hex" look with fillets, you would need them to be tiny, which is just as bad because you don't want to be machining the wheel with a 1/8 inch bit.

Various FLL Teams - Student (2000-2006), Mentor (2007-2010)
FRC Team 604 - Student (2007-2010), Mentor (2011-Present)
7 Regional Chairman's Awards, 2 Regional Engineering Inspiration Awards, 2 Regional Wins, 4 Woodie Flowers Finalists, 2 Dean's List Finalists
FRC Team 1323 - Mentor (2011-Present)
2 Regional Chairman's Awards, 1 Regional Engineering Inspiration Award, 1 Woodie Flowers Finalist, 2 Dean's List Finalists

The Blue Alliance | TBA GameDay

Last edited by EugeneF : 12-13-2009 at 03:04 PM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-13-2009, 03:39 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

Eliminate the external radius on the hub. External radii are the best way to make your machinist hate you. Everyone loves them because they look cool but you need a special tool to do it and it takes time. If you really want a non-square edge, chamfers are much better.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-13-2009, 04:11 PM
2014... Hella Parts
AKA: Owner, WestCoast Products
FRC #1323 (MadTown Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
R.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddrag View Post
How thick are the spokes? To me it seems you could get away with them being about half as thick.
Agreed and why not make the hub smaller if your going live?

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/img...2011234f_l.jpg

On these wheels (the one under the one standing up), there is a mini hub instead of a lightening pattern around the hub. Try it out in CAD and see if you lose more weight that way.

-RC
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Chase perfection. Catch excellence.
AKA: Let's bring CD back to the way it used to be
FRC #0125 (NU-TRONs, Team #11 Alumni (GO MORT))

Rookie Year: 2001
Brandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Holley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Eliminate the external radius on the hub. External radii are the best way to make your machinist hate you. Everyone loves them because they look cool but you need a special tool to do it and it takes time. If you really want a non-square edge, chamfers are much better.
Ditto to what Cory is saying here. The external fillet is not providing additional strength to the wheel and thus is purely cosmetic.

Brando

NUTRONs (Team 125) '05-???
2007 Boston Regional Winners
2008 & 2009 Boston Regional Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2010 Boston Regional Creativity Award
2011 Bayou Regional Finalists, Innovation in Control Award, Boston Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award
2012 New York City Regional Winners, Boston Regional Finalists, IRI Mentor of the Year
2013 Orlando Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award, Boston Regional Winners, Pine Tree Regional Finalists
2014 Rhode Island District Winners, Excellence in Engineering Award, Northeastern University District Winners, Undefeated 18-0, Industrial Design Award, Pine Tree District Chairman's Award, Pine Tree District Winners
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-14-2009, 12:49 PM
The CAD Guy
no team

Ok, Here are a list of things that I could improve upon that I have taken from everything that has been said.

1. Switch from hex to circles. (Would it be better to go for a keyway circle? Or keep the hex on the drive? )

2.Trash the outside ring on the hub and make the spoke longer.

3. Take off the fillet on the hub.

4. Take off some of the width on the spokes.

If I have left anything out or am misinterpreting things, please, do not hesitate to correct me.

-Rion
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Currently teamless
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Famous View Post
Ok, Here are a list of things that I could improve upon that I have taken from everything that has been said.

1. Switch from hex to circles. (Would it be better to go for a keyway circle? Or keep the hex on the drive? )

-Rion
The change from hex to circles was only in reference to your lightening pattern in the spokes.

The choice of hex broaching for direct driving is based on our resources and experience with hex.

['13- 14]: Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT 2014 Robot Reveal
['12-'14]: Mentor FRC 2495

['11-'13]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929
['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT
['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-14-2009, 02:38 PM
2014... Hella Parts
AKA: Owner, WestCoast Products
FRC #1323 (MadTown Robotics)

R.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond repute

Rion if you ever get some time. Send the wheel over to me and I'll take a look at it. I'll be able to give you detailed explanation of things.

-RC
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_cola1323 View Post
Agreed and why not make the hub smaller if your going live?

-RC
I agree with RC here. If you are going to drive it with a live axle, your interior hub can be smaller, those 5 interior slots can be omitted, and your spokes can all be longer.

Keep up the good work. It takes guts to put your design out here to be critiqued. Good job.

Sincerely,
Andy Baker
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Currently teamless
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_cola1323 View Post
Rion if you ever get some time. Send the wheel over to me and I'll take a look at it. I'll be able to give you detailed explanation of things.

-RC
Publicly explaining and critiquing might be better for all of us who are still learning about wheel design, RC. I know I'm learning from these posts, so I'm sure others are too.

['13- 14]: Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT 2014 Robot Reveal
['12-'14]: Mentor FRC 2495

['11-'13]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929
['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT
['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: