OCCRA
Go to Post The greatest lesson we can teach our kids is how to win. - AdamHeard [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #181   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-24-2009, 08:33 PM
AKA: Trey Entwistle
FRC #0433 (Firebirds)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
TEntwistle is just really niceTEntwistle is just really niceTEntwistle is just really niceTEntwistle is just really nice
Re: [BB] 2010 Game Hint #1

On the reflections, it makes sense that the red outline is the reflection of the forward post, and explains the extra hole that seems to appear on the rear post. The image you referenced seems to demonstrate that well. The area that you outlined in orange may still be a reflection or refraction of one of the other posts that are present. If you notice in the image that you reference, the shadows are at a different angle from the image in the hint. The light source should be more from the rear and side rather than more above. I do not remember much about the physics of light, but changing the angle of the light source should change the way things are reflected and refracted.
  #182   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-24-2009, 08:56 PM
FRC #2848 (All-Sparks)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
CGuenther is a splendid one to beholdCGuenther is a splendid one to beholdCGuenther is a splendid one to beholdCGuenther is a splendid one to beholdCGuenther is a splendid one to beholdCGuenther is a splendid one to beholdCGuenther is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to CGuenther

I doubt reflections have anything to do with it. I don't think the GDC would go through the trouble of making a rendering showing other parts besides what they were trying to show.
  #183   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-24-2009, 09:09 PM

maltz1881 has a brilliant futuremaltz1881 has a brilliant futuremaltz1881 has a brilliant futuremaltz1881 has a brilliant futuremaltz1881 has a brilliant futuremaltz1881 has a brilliant futuremaltz1881 has a brilliant futuremaltz1881 has a brilliant futuremaltz1881 has a brilliant futuremaltz1881 has a brilliant futuremaltz1881 has a brilliant future

It appears to be a slider yoke. It instantly reminded me of that game where there is a waiter and you have to pile dishes on his tray and they more that goes on the higher his hand has to extend in the air. If it gets to high then he tips.
  #184   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-24-2009, 09:15 PM
FRCDesigns.com
AKA: Matt Starke
FRC #0174 (Arctic Warriors); (Alumni: 340 (GRR), 1126 (SparX))
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2003
Starke has a brilliant futureStarke has a brilliant futureStarke has a brilliant futureStarke has a brilliant futureStarke has a brilliant futureStarke has a brilliant futureStarke has a brilliant futureStarke has a brilliant futureStarke has a brilliant futureStarke has a brilliant futureStarke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorrilla View Post
one question could be why the GDC waited until today to release the hint?...
This is probably because kickoff is not until January 9th. We have more time to think about the game hint in the month before kickoff.

Team 340 | G.R.R. | Alumni/Mentor | 2003-2007, 2010
Team 1126 | SparX | Engineer | 2008-2009
Dylan Starke Strategy | Engineer | 2011
FRCDesigns.com | Engineer | 2011 - Present
Team 174 | Arctic Warriors | Advisor | 2012 - Present
  #185   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-24-2009, 09:23 PM
AKA: Matthew
FRC #0624 (CRyptonite)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Beta Version is on a distinguished road

I think this piece is designed to suspend the rails, not provide rigid support.

I highly doubt that lexan piece is for support. First, its too expensive, and second, this piece (owing to its short length and connection style) is apparently designed to slip in between two pre-existing railings, a very poor choice if your trying to make something stronger. Since it isnt for structural support, instead, it must be for suspension.

I think these lexan pieces, must be used as a way to suspend rails (curved or straight?) either above a surface, or away from a wall. the rectangular 'tounge' is bolted to the wall, floor, piece, etc. and the rails extend from it suspended.

And.. why isnt this is the rumour mill like it usually is? Its hard to find here

Underwater Bot

Paratrooper Bot

Last edited by Beta Version : 12-24-2009 at 09:43 PM.
  #186   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Tech once...
AKA: Kara Bakowski
no team (FRC1189 alum)
Team Role: College Student

Karibou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Karibou Send a message via Skype™ to Karibou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGuenther View Post
I doubt reflections have anything to do with it. I don't think the GDC would go through the trouble of making a rendering showing other parts besides what they were trying to show.
That's what I've been thinking about the reflections/refractions. It's like the text in the background of the fish picture from last year - just an unavoidable coincidence that has nothing to do with the real hint.

Although, if you were looking for a context for the part we've been given, looking at the reflections might help, but not very much.
FRC 1189 (2008-2011): Team Captain, Pit Crew, Website group leader, Team Education group leader, Proud Alum. We've got spirit, yes we do...
Volunteer (2010-present): Escanaba District '14, MidKnight Mayhem '13, Detroit District '13, IRI '10 '12, Waterford District '11 '12, MARC '12, CMP Galileo '11

WMWBS '10 '11
  #187   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-24-2009, 10:49 PM
FIRST on my mind
AKA: Evan Raitt
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
Tetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGuenther View Post
Game hint season makes everyone paranoid. The slightest change in a pixel can mean the difference between everyone freaking out about tetras or track balls.
  #188   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2009, 12:17 AM
Coach team 1322
FRC #1322 (G.R.A.Y.T. Leviathons)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2000
joeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant future

If it is a track for a ball most balls of this size are not heavy and if you have rules that do not allow us to make physical contact with it it would not need to be strong. If the robot could only be 60 inches tall and the track is above 60 inches than you would not have to worry about making conttact with the track and breaking it. We will have to build this for our use so I would assume that the pipes are trade size pipes. 1/2 & 3/4 emt or pvc. We could also replace the clear with plywood for our use.

FRC Team sitehttp://team1322.org/
2004 Great Lakes Xerox Creativity Award, 2008 Web Site Excellence Award, 2010 Kettering District and Western Michigan District Excellence in Engineering award, 2011 Kettering District Gracious Professionalism Award. 2011 Ann Arbor and State Cooperation Awards.2013 Kettering Xeroc Creativity Award.
FTC Lightining Boltz 5954, Thunder Botz 7032http://team1322.org/vex.htm
  #189   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2009, 12:19 AM
AKA: Cameron Parvini
FRC #1538 (The Holy Cows)

HashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond repute

I kind of like the idea of a track going around the field...perhaps where you have to place a ball on the track that leads towards a goal? It goes with all the train stuff that we've been thinking recently.
  #190   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2009, 12:50 AM
AKA: Chris Leung
FRC #1989 (Viking Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
TD912 has much to be proud ofTD912 has much to be proud ofTD912 has much to be proud ofTD912 has much to be proud ofTD912 has much to be proud ofTD912 has much to be proud ofTD912 has much to be proud ofTD912 has much to be proud ofTD912 has much to be proud ofTD912 has much to be proud of

I bet the actual use for this piece will be the exact opposite of what we expect it to be. Only 15 days 'til kickoff...
  #191   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2009, 01:13 AM
AKA: Lauren Jefferson
no team

darkangel is a jewel in the roughdarkangel is a jewel in the roughdarkangel is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to darkangel Send a message via Skype™ to darkangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karibou View Post
That's what I've been thinking about the reflections/refractions. It's like the text in the background of the fish picture from last year - just an unavoidable coincidence that has nothing to do with the real hint.

Although, if you were looking for a context for the part we've been given, looking at the reflections might help, but not very much.
Agreed. I'm pretty sure you can make the reflection anything, especially if you're rendering an object outside of the main assembly file it's being used in (I could be wrong, though).

That being said, I'm on board with the people who are saying it's a field element. Are there any dimensions? Because that makes a huge difference.

Okay, I'm done thinking about this for now. The people who come up with these clues should be ashamed of themselves for releasing the first one on Christmas Eve. *shakes head in disapproval* Well, we'll know in 15 days. Wonder if they'll bother releasing any clues between now and then...

One does not simply "leave FIRST."
  #192   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2009, 02:47 AM
AKA: Zach Martin
FRC #1806 (SWAT Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

martinswat1806 has a spectacular aura aboutmartinswat1806 has a spectacular aura aboutmartinswat1806 has a spectacular aura about

Ypu guys are thinking way to far into this. FIRST is not going to make a field with moving parts it takes to much work to cordinate something like that now this part could be part of an adjustable height shelf or even possibly a field piece for the human players think about it guys, you know better.
  #193   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2009, 02:59 AM
no team (Volunteer)

Rookie Year: 2007
alectronic is a splendid one to beholdalectronic is a splendid one to beholdalectronic is a splendid one to beholdalectronic is a splendid one to beholdalectronic is a splendid one to beholdalectronic is a splendid one to beholdalectronic is a splendid one to beholdalectronic is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboMaster View Post
Yeah, last year he said "slippery slope" and that was a definite biggie. Now we know. Does he do that a lot? I've only been around for 2 years, I wouldn't know past 2008.
I was not in FRC at the time, but from reviewing the videos, I believe the background of the kickoff video (the screen behind the people speaking and such) in 2005 was actually one of the tetras. (The element that year)
But no one really noticed it because it was not the focus of the scene. So I am guessing there are little hints written in every year, but we have picked up on them more in 2008 and 09

Event Resume[2014]Auburn Mountainview (V) + Glacier Peak (V) + Spokane (V) + Shorewood (V) + Portland (V) + Championship (V) [2013]Portland (V) + Seattle (V) + Spokane (V) + Championship (V) [2012] Seattle Olympic/Cascade Regionals(V) + Autodesk Oregon Regional (V) + Spokane Regional (V) + Championships (V) [2011] Seattle Olympic/Cascade Regionals(V) [2010] Microsoft Seattle Regional(V) + Championship(V) [2009] Microsoft Seattle Regional (V) + Championships [2008] Microsoft Seattle Regional + Oregon Regional [2007] PNW Regional
  #194   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2009, 03:17 AM
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: Arthur Dutra IV; NERD #18
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
artdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by techalex View Post
I was not in FRC at the time, but from reviewing the videos, I believe the background of the kickoff video (the screen behind the people speaking and such) in 2005 was actually one of the tetras. (The element that year)
But no one really noticed it because it was not the focus of the scene. So I am guessing there are little hints written in every year, but we have picked up on them more in 2008 and 09
Yup, the screen behind the speakers at the 2005 Kickoff had a glass tetrahedron floating in front of clouds.

世上无难事,只怕有心人.
  #195   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2009, 06:37 AM
AKA: Ben Abraham
FRC #3357 (Comets)
Team Role: Programmer

mobilegamer999 is a jewel in the roughmobilegamer999 is a jewel in the roughmobilegamer999 is a jewel in the rough

my guess is there gonna be connected together like in the attached image and its going to be used as a rail system for balls. I sized it out and depending on the scale it should be about a 4.5 inch - 5 inch ball that fits inside of it easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clue.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	8215  

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: