OCCRA
Go to Post the always so humble metal-in-motion.....i know your tricks; you all are gonna have a killer robot as usual.... - Stephen Kowski [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute
Kick-Off 2010 - Who's Excited And What Is A Skill That You Want To Develop?

I'm very excited that the 2010 FRC season is about to begin. One of the thoughts that I've been thinking about this year is how I can be a better team member on 418.

First up - I'm going to spend more time listening and paying attention in team meetings and planning sessions.

What are some of your plans for the upcoming season?

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me
Re: Kick-Off 2010 - Who's Excited And What Is A Skill That You Want To Develop?

I'm unbelievably excited. For Kickoff, I'm staying with some of my former teammates (now mentees, technically?) on 1714, so as I type this post I'm packing my overnight bag. Something oddly thrilling about packing that gets me pumped...

As a person, I plan on working on my teaching and assisting skills. I've always had a bit of trouble showing someone a concept instead of just doing it for them, so hopefully when assisting team 2791 this year I'll get better at the skill of teaching.

As a FIRSTer, I didn't do much programming last year, and I hope to step that up this year. Hopefully I'll be able to both learn from and teach my peers on 2791.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Mentor & Regional Volunteer
AKA: Captain Obvious
FRC #4622 (Wired Wildcats)

Rookie Year: 2004
vic burg is a splendid one to beholdvic burg is a splendid one to beholdvic burg is a splendid one to beholdvic burg is a splendid one to beholdvic burg is a splendid one to beholdvic burg is a splendid one to beholdvic burg is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to vic burg

I'm looking forward to being as helpful as possible at the Florida Regional this year. And maybe making my way up to North Carolina? Although I am more likely to go to Championships this year.
I am also going to try to mentor my alumni team this year. Last year did not work out so well because I was so busy. This year is going to be hard as well because of classes but I am determined to help them out.

I am missing Kickoff though.... but only so I can Emcee for an FLL Tournament! My first time ever, so I am hoping that I do good!
I have been dubbed an honorary member of 1902 and 744 (by the members).
And yes, I am in the habit of collecting team t-shirts.

Last edited by vic burg : 01-08-2010 at 08:53 AM. Reason: forgot words
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2010, 08:50 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
EricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to EricVanWyk

My favorite part of kick off is that all of my friends fly in to visit me once a year. Its like a birthday that I have to share with a robot (and since I share my actual birthday with my sister, that doesn't feel so weird).

I think that there will be a good gasp of "we can do THAT?!", and I'm psyched to hear it.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Pink flamingo on the lawn of life
AKA: @taylor1529
FRC #1529 (CyberCards)
Team Role: Teacher

Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

I can't recall being more excited about a kickoff. Honestly it scares me quite a bit.

Personally, I will do my best to understand all options and exhaust all possibilities, especially early in the build season. It is too easy to lock into a specific way of thinking or designing; I have fallen into that trap before and don't wish to do it again.

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Mentor & Regional Volunteer
AKA: Captain Obvious
FRC #4622 (Wired Wildcats)

vic burg is a splendid one to beholdvic burg is a splendid one to beholdvic burg is a splendid one to beholdvic burg is a splendid one to beholdvic burg is a splendid one to beholdvic burg is a splendid one to beholdvic burg is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to vic burg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
I can't recall being more excited about a kickoff. Honestly it scares me quite a bit.
I think my first year I was like that. But I'm sure in 2014 I will be like that because that will be my 10th kick-off. Which, does not seem that far away.... still can't get over this is my 6th year in FIRST.... 'Tis insane.
I have been dubbed an honorary member of 1902 and 744 (by the members).
And yes, I am in the habit of collecting team t-shirts.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Sunny
FRC #5283

Rookie Year: 2007
ttldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond repute

Considering this is my senior year, I'm especially excited for tomorrow's kick-off.

Plus, I haven't been 100% on FRC in the past two years, but this year, I'm 100% on board and I look forward to working with some really brilliant team members.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:45 AM
AKA: Jim
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)

MrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricVanWyk View Post
I think that there will be a good gasp of "we can do THAT?!"
The gasp I'm more familiar with is "HOW are we gonna do THAT?!??"

I'd like to have more motivation skills....sure would be neat to figure out how to be a leader
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Deadlines? What are those?
AKA: Stephanie
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
StephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to StephLee

I am getting an entire semester's worth of kick off excitement crammed into just a few days; I purposefully stayed away from FIRST last semester to avoid getting distracted from some tough classes. Now I'm really excited to be back with my high school team for kick-off tomorrow!

The skill I'd like to develop is how to maintain both schoolwork AND active FIRST participation, even if it's only posting on CD. I'm in my second half of my second year of college now, and I finally feel like I'm ready to try balancing FIRST with schoolwork. Here goes!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Big new things, with some purple.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth, AndyMark)

Rookie Year: 2005
Nick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeNick Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute

This year, I'm going to work on being more patient with freshman and rookies on our team this year. In years past, I held this idea that others would catch on to the program and have the expirence I had, right from the getgo. Considering this is my 6th year in FIRST, 3rd year in FRC, I had more experience in my rookie year of FRC than my teammates did. I wasn't used to the idea of other FIRSTers not knowing the true values of FIRST, and what the program is really about.

So, I'm going to try to be more patient with rookies, and explain things to them.

-Nick
(2012-???): Member, VEXU NAR, North American Robotics
(2014-???): Mentor, CyberTooth

Success doesn't always equate to match wins. It's about the wins off the field.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2010, 10:36 AM
VirginiaFIRST
FRC #1058 (the PVC Pirates)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
ICntIHaveRbtics is on a distinguished road

SEN10R YEAR!
&& my 6th year with FIRST.
resolution? be more involved with building again! I used to love it, but last year I was needed to plan out the trip to nationals, so I didn't get as much hands on as years past.

also, I'm DETERMINED to get the town to pass our warrant article for $7k of funding for the robotics team. after 8 years of no support, I'm not moving until this town finally gives a little support. if we can accomplish that, then I'll feel more at ease when I move to VA.

I feel like since our team had a crummy year last year, this year we're just going to blow the roof off. Now we have mistakes we can learn from which will make us even better than before.

VirginiaFIRST Social Media and Alumni Coordinator
Former FIRSTPlace Administrative Assistant @ FIRST HQ
Virginia Commonwealth University
School of the Arts Class of 2013 - BFA Graphic Design & Certificate in Product Innovation
[2004-2006]: FLL student [2006-2010]: FRC 1058 / FIRST HQ [2010+]: VirginiaFIRST
2010 Granite State Regional Winners with teams 1073 and 1519
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2010, 10:48 AM
no team

EricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to EricVanWyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephLee View Post
I am getting an entire semester's worth of kick off excitement crammed into just a few days; I purposefully stayed away from FIRST last semester to avoid getting distracted from some tough classes.
Can you mentor me on this technique?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
First up - I'm going to spend more time listening and paying attention in team meetings and planning sessions.
Jane, you're one of the best listeners I know. Maybe it's the paying attention in meetings part you need to work on, if you think you have been lacking.

I'm going to try to be a little more gracious with the tournament staff when things don't go right at events.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Tech once...
AKA: Kara Bakowski
no team (FRC1189 alum)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
Karibou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Karibou Send a message via Skype™ to Karibou

I'm looking to improve both my time management and general leadership skills this year. I'd like to actually have the motivation to do some of my homework (I DO have the time. Just not the motivation), and possibly snag a job so that I'll have some money.

I also really need work on leading rather than just doing. I've got the same habit that Chris does: doing instead of teaching. As a team leader and a junior, I need to start passing on what I've learned and start taking a little more of a hands-off approach. As a mentor told me yesterday, the attitude that he wants the captains to take this year is more of a "welcome to mentoring" standpoint.
FRC 1189 (2008-2011): Team Captain, Pit Crew, Website group leader, Team Education group leader, Proud Alum. We've got spirit, yes we do...
Volunteer (2010-present): Escanaba District '14, MidKnight Mayhem '13, Detroit District '13, IRI '10 '12, Waterford District '11 '12, MARC '12, CMP Galileo '11

WMWBS '10 '11
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:23 AM
ohhh MY god
AKA: Dan Hoizner
FRC #0375 (The Robotic Plague)

DanDon has a reputation beyond reputeDanDon has a reputation beyond reputeDanDon has a reputation beyond reputeDanDon has a reputation beyond reputeDanDon has a reputation beyond reputeDanDon has a reputation beyond reputeDanDon has a reputation beyond reputeDanDon has a reputation beyond reputeDanDon has a reputation beyond reputeDanDon has a reputation beyond reputeDanDon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to DanDon Send a message via AIM to DanDon Send a message via MSN to DanDon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricVanWyk View Post
Can you mentor me on this technique?
Agreed, Eric. I've tried to stay away and managed mostly but FIRST has still managed to break through, in specifically, ChiefDelphi .

As for this year, I'm extremely excited and looking forward to an awesome build season. I'm personally going to try and get more students involved to a greater extent rather than have just a core group of students and a bunch on the sidelines.

I'm also going to try to balance two jobs (One retail and one database management) as well as full-time schooling AND FRC. It's promising to be an interesting semester .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: