OCCRA
Go to Post The trick is to train the rest of the team to blame electrical instead. - Al3+ [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2010, 06:47 PM
CraigHickman

pic: Anyone remember these?

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2010, 06:55 PM
FRC #0610 (Crescent Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Duncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Duncan Macdonald
Re: pic: Anyone remember these?

Can't wait to see it in action.

Wouldn't be too concerned about the electronics. The cRio can take a 50 g shock.

http://www.firstwiki.net/index.php/R...ler_%282009%29 (Under Key Features)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Gearing up for the next round
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

To meet that 50g shock, the wires to the power connector need some ferrules. Cheap & easy, thankfully. Bare wires are less robust.

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:54 PM
FRC #0753 (The High Desert Droids)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
jason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant future

The type of drivetrain would have almost nothing to do the robots ability to get air, that has a lot more to do with the shape of the bot and the speed it can attain. If you geared one of those to get air off the bump, you would be geared so high that you would be able to be pushed around my almost anybody.

One thing i can tell you from experience with those tracks is that even a small amount of pressure from the side would completely lock up the system and leave the bot immobile (and by this years rules, that wouldn't count as pinning). They also eat up the available weight pretty quickly, unless they have been significantly redesigned, (and the only thing that looks different to me is the gearbox) a pair of those easily weigh 60-80 pounds, without any electronics.

Another thing to remember is that the force of friction is based only on the coefficient of friction and the mass of the bot, not the surface area.

Yes, this is someone from team of the original creators and users of this drive system.

Last edited by jason701802 : 01-15-2010 at 10:56 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2010, 12:01 AM
CraigHickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason701802 View Post
The type of drivetrain would have almost nothing to do the robots ability to get air, that has a lot more to do with the shape of the bot and the speed it can attain. If you geared one of those to get air off the bump, you would be geared so high that you would be able to be pushed around my almost anybody.
Incorrect. The gearing has little to do with catching air. It's the large contact patch that the belt provides that allows little to no deceleration when driving over the ramp. The system is currently geared around 9-10 fps depending on battery level, which you should know is plenty of pushing power with this system.

Quote:
One thing i can tell you from experience with those tracks is that even a small amount of pressure from the side would completely lock up the system and leave the bot immobile (and by this years rules, that wouldn't count as pinning).
The older version had this flaw, yes. It's been fixed in the newer models.

Quote:
They also eat up the available weight pretty quickly, unless they have been significantly redesigned, (and the only thing that looks different to me is the gearbox) a pair of those easily weigh 60-80 pounds, without any electronics.
Current projected weight for the robot sits at 85 pounds, with all electronics, motors, and so on. Your large weight in the past was caused by inefficient mounting of the track boxes.

Quote:
Another thing to remember is that the force of friction is based only on the coefficient of friction and the mass of the bot, not the surface area.

Yes, this is someone from team of the original creators and users of this drive system.
Yes, of course. The larger surface area aids in climbing, and climbing only. Without added idlers, the system is effectively a six wheel system. Once climbing, the belt between idlers allows the system to outclimb most other systems. During pushing matches, the low rolling resistance and high efficiency makes this system very attractive.

Last edited by CraigHickman : 01-16-2010 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Added stuff.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2010, 12:47 AM
FRC #0753 (The High Desert Droids)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
jason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant futurejason701802 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigHickman View Post
Incorrect. The gearing has little to do with catching air. It's the large contact patch that the belt provides that allows little to no deceleration when driving over the ramp.
I fail to see how the size of the contact patch has anything to do with the ability to catch air. Bases on what i have learned in physics, the velocity (kinetic energy) of the robot would have the greatest effect on the robots ability to get catch air.

Quote:
The system is currently geared around 9-10 fps depending on battery level, which you should know is plenty of pushing power with this system.
When we ran that system, we ran it at around 6-8 fps (and yes we had 4 CIMs) and there were a few robots that could push us around, gearing up the system anymore would would only increase the number of robots that could this system around.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason701802 View Post
One thing i can tell you from experience with those tracks is that even a small amount of pressure from the side would completely lock up the system and leave the bot immobile (and by this years rules, that wouldn't count as pinning).
The older version had this flaw, yes. It's been fixed in the newer models.
I am very interested in what has been done to fix this problem, it originates from the track being pushed against and out of its groove, increasing the friction to far greater than the motors can overcome. There are no visible changes to the design that would help to overcome this problem.

Last edited by jason701802 : 01-16-2010 at 12:48 AM. Reason: grammatical fix
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2010, 02:48 AM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

Quote:
During pushing matches, the low rolling resistance and high efficiency makes this system very attractive.
High efficiency? Treads are notoriously inefficient. There's no way that an Outback tread system can even match a well constructed kitbot in efficiency.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2010, 02:58 AM
Currently teamless
no team

Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
High efficiency? Treads are notoriously inefficient. There's no way that an Outback tread system can even match a well constructed kitbot in efficiency.
While trying to turn don't tread systems stall the motors?

Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT | ['11-'12]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929 | ['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT | ['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Needs a taller Driver's Station.
AKA: Dustin Benedict
no team (EWCP, Mid-Atlantic Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
thefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to thefro526 Send a message via MSN to thefro526

Craig, when you first told me you were going with a tank treaded drivetrain this year I had my doubts but, you've made me a believer.

I want 3.
2014 Season - Hatboro Horsham District Winners, MAR Championship Winners, Newton Division Finalists.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2010, 05:07 PM
FRC #1458

Andy L has much to be proud ofAndy L has much to be proud ofAndy L has much to be proud ofAndy L has much to be proud ofAndy L has much to be proud ofAndy L has much to be proud ofAndy L has much to be proud ofAndy L has much to be proud ofAndy L has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Andy L

I think I remember them... yeah, they were in our shop an hour ago!

Jason, after seeing them, I'm pretty sure Craig is right that they fixed the tread being pushed out of the grooves

Outback has been an amazing shop to work with so far for us, we'll probably be going to them more and more in upcoming years
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2010, 05:44 PM
CraigHickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
I think I remember them... yeah, they were in our shop an hour ago!

Jason, after seeing them, I'm pretty sure Craig is right that they fixed the tread being pushed out of the grooves

Outback has been an amazing shop to work with so far for us, we'll probably be going to them more and more in upcoming years
And they'll be in my shop pretty soon!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: