OCCRA
Go to Post Ideally, you'll make sure your drive system can handle some Irritating Failures without them becoming Paralyzing Failures. - Billfred [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:44 AM
We do what we must because we can.
AKA: Matt Kline
FRC #0537 (Charger Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
slavik262 is a splendid one to beholdslavik262 is a splendid one to beholdslavik262 is a splendid one to beholdslavik262 is a splendid one to beholdslavik262 is a splendid one to beholdslavik262 is a splendid one to beholdslavik262 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to slavik262
Customizable Dashboard

Don't like the look of the LabVIEW dashboard? Frustrated with dashboard examples not working how you want? Confused on how to pack packets for the provided dashboard? Want to customize the dashboard to better fit your needs and strategy or show more relevant information without having to mess around with the LabVIEW one?

I'm developing my own dashboard software that I plan to release to all FIRST teams once I have a stable beta out. My goal is to have it out in a few weeks from now in time for the last third of build season or so. Current features include:
  • Written in C++ with optional DirectX support. That means it runs fast, and it runs with a small footprint on your computer.
  • Customization made easy. For those of you who have ever worked with Microsoft Publisher, Visual Studio, or any other drag-and-drop designer, imagine this: Select a control type. Drag it onto your screen. Move it, resize it, and drag it just like you might with an image or text box in Word or Publisher. Set properties like appearance and behaviors. Then just drag and drop the control's data source onto a visual representation of the packet to tell the control where in incoming packets to get its data from.
  • A plethora of built-in controls. Meters, gauges, on/off lights, numeric printouts, video feed (using the webcam), direction indicators, battery power meters, and the list continues. Everything you see on the LabVIEW dashboard and a little more. Each control will have multiple appearances the user can select from, and while they will come with default color values, all colors in any control will be changeable by the user.
  • Fast swap. Want multiple dashboards, such as one for debugging and one for competition? Every dashboard you make can be saved to a file and loaded back, settings and all.
  • Fullscreen mode for maximum readability.
  • Full networking support. The dashboard receives data exactly like the official LabVIEW one. You don't have to change a thing in your robot code.
  • Full video support from the provided webcam system. Again, no changes to your robot code. Additionally, you can add controls over the top of the video with transparent backgrounds to act as overlays and show data such as a distance readout provided by an ultrasonic sensor.

I'm wondering how many teams out there would be interested in something like this, and what additional features they want to see. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by slavik262 : 01-19-2010 at 10:52 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Parent 1729, former mentor 3126
FRC #7129
Team Role: Parent

Rookie Year: 2010
Randy Forgaard is a splendid one to beholdRandy Forgaard is a splendid one to beholdRandy Forgaard is a splendid one to beholdRandy Forgaard is a splendid one to beholdRandy Forgaard is a splendid one to beholdRandy Forgaard is a splendid one to beholdRandy Forgaard is a splendid one to behold
Re: Customizable Dashboard

Fantastic! We would LOVE to use your C++ custom configurable Dashboard. We are trying to stay in C++ for all of our FRC coding. We had been thinking we would try and dive in and do a C++ port ourselves, but we weren't sure how hard that would be, and from your description, it sounds time-consuming indeed.

Anyway, we'll watch for your C++ customizable Dashboard. Will you post it here to Chief Delphi? Wish we could have it earlier than the last third of build season, but we know how long software takes, and our team greatly appreciates your efforts!

Randy Forgaard
Hollis, NH USA
Parent Team 1729 Plan B
Former software mentor FRC Team 3126 FlashPoint
"Button Guy" for FRC Team 1073 The Force
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2010, 01:25 PM
no team (Team NI)

Rookie Year: 2008
Greg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond repute

If you have any questions about the LV one, or if we can help in any way, feel free to ask, PM or otherwise.

Greg McKaskle
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2010, 01:32 PM

slavik262 is a splendid one to beholdslavik262 is a splendid one to beholdslavik262 is a splendid one to beholdslavik262 is a splendid one to beholdslavik262 is a splendid one to beholdslavik262 is a splendid one to beholdslavik262 is a splendid one to behold

I'll be sure to. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Let me clarify to everyone that while this is being written in C++, it is completely independant of robot code. It will work with a robot running in LabVIEW, C++, or Java, since they all communicate to the dashboard in the same way.

Again, I'm wide open for any additional features you guys want. This is for the FIRST community, not just my team, and I want to meet the needs all of you have.

Last edited by slavik262 : 01-19-2010 at 02:19 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2010, 03:28 PM
FRC #2152
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2009
TheDominis has a spectacular aura aboutTheDominis has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavik262 View Post
I'll be sure to. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Let me clarify to everyone that while this is being written in C++, it is completely independant of robot code. It will work with a robot running in LabVIEW, C++, or Java, since they all communicate to the dashboard in the same way.

Again, I'm wide open for any additional features you guys want. This is for the FIRST community, not just my team, and I want to meet the needs all of you have.
Can it write my robot code for me?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:42 PM

Yes, but it will involve lots of printf() calls and not too much movement.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:54 PM
FRC #2152

Quote:
Yes, but it will involve lots of printf() calls and not too much movement.
I like it.

On a more serious note, are you in a design or beta phase?
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDominis View Post
I like it.

On a more serious note, are you in a design or beta phase?
Design. I know where I want to go with it and I'm pumping out code as fast as I can, but it's not in a usable state right now. As soon as more of it comes together, expect some screenshots.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:26 PM
FRC #2152

Quote:
Design. I know where I want to go with it and I'm pumping out code as fast as I can, but it's not in a usable state right now. As soon as more of it comes together, expect some screenshots.
Awesome. I am also going to be working on a new camera class and video server and a dashboard to display the video. Should all be up by tomorrow. However, the dashboard won't be in C++ to increase development time (obviously).
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2010, 12:57 PM
FRC #1551 (Grapes of Wrath)

bronxbomber92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Something like this would be amazing. I find it very frustrating that if I want to use the dashboard I'm forced to use LabView if I want to customize the dashboard or understand how it works.

Keep it up! :-)
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2010, 01:15 PM
FRC #2230

Nadav Zingerman is a splendid one to beholdNadav Zingerman is a splendid one to beholdNadav Zingerman is a splendid one to beholdNadav Zingerman is a splendid one to beholdNadav Zingerman is a splendid one to beholdNadav Zingerman is a splendid one to beholdNadav Zingerman is a splendid one to behold

Open source?
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadav Zingerman View Post
Open source?
As soon as the source is somewhat stable and commented, of course.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2010, 04:27 PM
FRC #0930

joshholat is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd definitely check it out!
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Robotics for life(stupid classmate)
AKA: PICKELL!!!
FRC #0219 (Team Impact)
Team Role: Leadership