Go to Post In FIRST, there's no such thing as too many 1/4-20 bolts, too many bottles of caffeinated beverage, and too much knowledge from others. - Billfred [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: What has your school said about traveling?
Nothing/No Restrictions 42 80.77%
No travel 2 3.85%
No travel to New York/ DC 0 0%
No air travel 4 7.69%
No travel overseas 3 5.77%
2 & 3 1 1.92%
3 & 4 0 0%
2 & 4 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2001, 05:09 PM
El Jefe de 148
AKA: Midwest Refugee
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Jeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond repute
Travel

I just received a message from my school district saying all field trips involving air travel or to NYC, DC, or Canada are now cancelled. How many of you have the same problem?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2001, 07:17 PM
#0188 (Blizzard)

Anthony X. is an unknown quantity at this point
We haven't had any restrictions imposed on our travel plans by our school board. As far as we know, we will be travelling the same way as we did last year: by bus to the Great Lakes Regional and by plane to Florida.

Personally, I don't think that restricting travel is exactly the best course of action right now, especially as airlines and other related businesses struggle to return to 'normal'.

Anthony.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2001, 02:10 PM
El Jefe de 148

Jeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, and it might limit attendance for your Canadian Regional, too. My team might not attend now that we have these restrictions.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2001, 08:14 PM
#0311 (Red Jammers)

Kyle Hill is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kyle Hill
Being from the New York City area... heh...

Honestly, I haven't heard anything from our school district about cancelling field trips in the wake of the tragedies. However, since one overnight field trip to, ironically, Manhattan, went horribly, horribly wrong, our school board is extremely stringent in meting out any overnight field trips. (The Nationals trip last year was one of three that were allowed, and only under strict supervision.)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2001, 02:24 PM
El Jefe de 148

Yeah. From my district, however, that's pretty harsh. We usually send at least three overseas Spring Break trips, FIRST nationals for two teams, and numerous other overnight trips. Canada is also a major destination for field trips. Definitely a MAJOR reaction, considering it was coming from Rochester Schools.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2001, 02:54 PM
no team

GregT will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GregT
All i have to say is that the worst thing we can do right now is change the way we live our lives.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2001, 04:19 PM
AKA: Patrick Dingle
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
patrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to patrickrd
I don't understand the point, as a school board, of limiting where your organizations can travel to. Parents still have to willingly send their children to these locations, and if they are worried about traveling to NYC or by air, they can choose not to send their children. It should be up to organizations (in our case, FIRST teams) to decide where they want to travel to as a team -- and if enough people on the team do not want to fly, they can choose something else.

Our team was briefly considering the option of traveling by plane to a distant regional, and this was one of the issues we discussed. Ultimately we decided to do two drivable regionals for cost reasons, not for safety reasons... But this is something a team should have the ability to decide on, not a school.

Patrick
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2001, 04:43 PM
El Jefe de 148

My thoughts exactly. Unfortunately, the administration and I don't see eye-to-eye on that matter.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2001, 08:52 PM
The_C
no team

Carolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the rough
Well, I don't know what the school down here has said about the trip, I haven't seen any of the students since before the tragedy. I don't think we will have a problem though because we aren't leaving our state. I do know that the school board does not allow swimming on school trips. I was shocked when the students told me that.

Thats C like the letter not like looking through your eyes or the large bdy of water! Just the letter C and yes it's on my birth certificate!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2001, 12:48 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)

Rookie Year: 1998
Matt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Leese
Basically, this all boils down to people being silly. There is no rational reason to be afraid of air travel at the moment (or at any time). Guess what? It's still a lot safer than traveling by car (or by bus). But something big and nasty happened with airplanes and because of that people got scared. And when you're scared you don't do things that make sense. Like refuse to allow students to travel by air on a field trip. These things don't make sense and in the long run they'll probably go away. This is just people overreacting.

Matt
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2001, 04:13 PM
#0100 (Woodside Robotics)

whsrt_lilguppy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to whsrt_lilguppy Send a message via AIM to whsrt_lilguppy
anxiety

I think with all the anxiety that's been going around, people are just plain scared about things that normally wouldn't have bothered them at all. The airlines have been particularly hit hard by all this because of their indirect involvement in last month's tragedy. But seriously, we need to regain confidence in the airlines and acknowledge that they are indeed safe. Preventing field trips or travel by air just works against that.

*Steph(100) and Brad(192)* *10/25/01*
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2001, 04:19 PM
Moving on to bigger/better things?
AKA: Formely Anne Bergeron
no team (Chesapeake Regional)

Anne Shade has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Shade has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Shade has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Shade has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Shade has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Shade has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Shade has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Shade has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Shade has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Shade has a reputation beyond reputeAnne Shade has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Anne Shade
About the swimming thing, most school districts have that rule but a lot of teachers don't enforce it. I know in South Florida the schools do allow swimming if you have the students sign a bunch of extra forms. The teacher here in Atlanta let her kids swim without that last year.

We haven't heard of any restriction yet from the Atlanta schools and hopefully we won't since that would create more problems then we want to deal with right now.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2001, 08:15 AM
Ellery's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Working on my 10 month old robot...
AKA: Ellery
no team (X-CATS - on Sabbatical)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 1999
Ellery has a reputation beyond reputeEllery has a reputation beyond reputeEllery has a reputation beyond reputeEllery has a reputation beyond reputeEllery has a reputation beyond reputeEllery has a reputation beyond reputeEllery has a reputation beyond reputeEllery has a reputation beyond reputeEllery has a reputation beyond reputeEllery has a reputation beyond reputeEllery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ellery Send a message via Yahoo to Ellery
Angry Restricted Travel

Well it's been official the Rochester City School Board had prohibited any air travel for any school event for the rest of the school year.

I don't think this is logical to try to return to normalcy but as they put it safety first. So our Rochester City teams will have to figure out a different way to travel. It's also going against our corporate policy of finding the most efficient traveling method too.

So if anybody from the other Rochester, NY teams hear of this what are you team's response to this?

Ellery
-Team # 191 X-CATS - Leadership committee
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2001, 08:31 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)

Matt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Leese
Re: Restricted Travel

Quote:
Originally posted by Ellery
Well it's been official the Rochester City School Board had prohibited any air travel for any school event for the rest of the school year.

I don't think this is logical to try to return to normalcy but as they put it safety first. So our Rochester City teams will have to figure out a different way to travel. It's also going against our corporate policy of finding the most efficient traveling method too.

So if anybody from the other Rochester, NY teams hear of this what are you team's response to this?

Ellery
-Team # 191 X-CATS - Leadership committee
Our response is no response as we don't qualify to go to nationals anyway. Too bad you guys can't travel either.

Matt
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2001, 09:06 AM
#0061 (Intimidators)
Team Role: Teacher

Christine G. is on a distinguished road
We got our approval last night to go to the NASA Kennedy Space Center Regional. Our School Board didn't even question/discuss our decision to attend this regional, they just approved it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: