OCCRA
Go to Post Paul: "IDK, my BFF Karthik?" - jgannon [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2001, 09:16 PM
Ken Leung's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Dare to Live!
FRC #0115 (Monta Vista Robotics Team)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Ken Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ken Leung
Question Who's going to kickoff and where?

After talking to a lot of California teams, I found out a lot of them will be attending the California kick off instead of going to New Hampshire again... Well, I guess the California teams are the one furthest from New Hampshire, so this way they will be saving a lot of travel expense.

But how about other teams and volunteers? Who is going to kick off this year, and which one are you going to?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2001, 09:32 PM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly
is FIRST allowing teams to go to any kickoff site that they want, or do they have a speciffic kickoff site that they are required to go to?

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2001, 09:45 PM
Programmer/Driver 2001-2004
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
Jay Lundy is a name known to allJay Lundy is a name known to allJay Lundy is a name known to allJay Lundy is a name known to allJay Lundy is a name known to allJay Lundy is a name known to all
What exactly are these extra kick-offs going to be like? Are they just going to be live television feeds? Last year I know we went to Moffet Field at 6 AM to watch the kick-off live, is it going to be the same thing this year or are they actually going to send FIRST people out here?
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2001, 10:16 PM
Dare to Live!

Ken Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond repute
Question hmm...

Well, if you think about it, there is no need to require teams going to specific kick off. There will only be two representatives from each team going to kick off, and Holiday Inn have plenty of space and Dean's house is extremely large. It could get too crowded if ALL the teams are going to show up at New Hampshire, but chances are, a lot of teams are saving money by going to their local ones...

So, as for what's going to happen at local kick offs... I am sure there will be some sort of broadcast so that Woodie and Dean will be explaining rules to all teams at the same time. I know NASA have done that in Bay Area last year, so we can expect the same thing next year...

I am wondering if FIRST will have extra playing fields at the local kickoffs, because it will let students and coaches at those remote kick offs get a feel of the objects in the field. However, FIRST will need to finish all those playing fields before kick off, get them to ship to the right place, and ship them back or store in local place afterward...

Also, I am wondering if FIRST will be shipping the kits to teams going to remote kickoffs, since those teams won't have anyone going to New Hampshire to pick them up... Shipping the kits to remote make sense because local teams will be able to go to those kick offs and pick the kits up themselves.

These all depends on how much FIRST is going to pay for kick off next year....
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2001, 11:24 PM
Christina's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Christina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant futureChristina has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Christina
At remote kick offs, what will happen is that they will have a NASA feed on a big screen. There will be kits there as well. And the only reason I know this is because they were considering trying to get a kick off on Long Island, and somehow, I was the one they wanted to try to get it together. But then I found out there was one in New york City, so there's isn't too much of a point to have one on Long Island. I shall be attending kick off in NH. I think they want rookie teams to attend the kick off in NH. I'm not positive though.

~Christina

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." ~Walt Disney
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2001, 07:06 AM
We Build Robots......and Careers
AKA: Warthog
FRC #1501 (Team T.H.R.U.S.T.)

Rookie Year: 2000
Wayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond repute
Team 535 will be sending two (2) representative to N.H.
I wish it was me. I would like to see Dean's house.

Wayne Doenges
2014 STL Regional, #1 seed, Winners with FRC Team 3284 and FRC Team 4500, Also won the Quality Award
2014 GPR #31 seed, Finalist with FRC Team 2641 and FRC Team 4150. Thanks. Also won Quality Award.
2012 BMR #7th seed, Winners Thanks to FRC Team 1756 and FRC Team 4028, UL Safety Award and GM Industrial Design Award

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2001, 01:14 PM
ChrisH

I don't know for sure what we're going to do. But in our Lessons Learned brief we decided we wanted to send at least one tech-type to NH to handle and photograph the field elements.

Just to see how they're REALLY put together. Not what the "sketches" say
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2001, 04:10 PM
#0188 (Blizzard)

Anthony X. is an unknown quantity at this point
I think what Christina said was the basic gist of what is going to happen at remote kick-offs. I believe that kits will be sent to the remote sites and kept locked until the day of the kickoff where they will be distributed following the NASA broadcast of the 'actual' kickoff in NH. This is what is going to happen for the the remote kickoff in Toronto so I presume it must be the same elsewhere.

Anthony.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2001, 06:43 PM
Post Junkie
no team (Bagel Bytes)

mnkysp6353 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mnkysp6353
the socal kick off

My teacher attended a meeting by jpl and they said they will be building a field for So cal at jpl. Thats about all i know and hi Ken!.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2001, 08:43 PM
The_C
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Carolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the rough
Last year I went to a remote kick off in VA at VCU. It was a NASA feed. Jeff Seaton had a short presentation before Woodie and Dean were ready to unveil the game and the field. Team 122, Jeff's team, had received their kit early and had it on display after everything was revealed. Since VCU was where the VA regional was held and Jeff was the emcee, we got a rundown of how the competition would be run there. We even got short copies of the rules there. There's a lot of trust there between FIRST and the hosts of the remotes, and I think it's great. Overall, it was nice. If there are fields away from NH, ther will be fewer people attending kick off in NH. Hope this helps, and does not repeat too much of what was already said.

Thats C like the letter not like looking through your eyes or the large bdy of water! Just the letter C and yes it's on my birth certificate!
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-13-2001, 08:12 PM
#0419 (The Rambots)

Hymnson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Hymnson Send a message via AIM to Hymnson
only 2 reps at Kickoff?

Is there a rule that only 2 team reps are allowed to attend the kickoff? Its not like I'm going to bring the whole team but I think theres about 4 people who should go to kickoff for my team.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-13-2001, 08:40 PM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly
Re: only 2 reps at Kickoff?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hymnson
Is there a rule that only 2 team reps are allowed to attend the kickoff? Its not like I'm going to bring the whole team but I think theres about 4 people who should go to kickoff for my team.
that rule has been around for years.

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-13-2001, 10:30 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison
Attending multiple kickoffs?

I was just wondering if, though you're limited to 2 team mentors at Kick-Off, it might be possible to have different groups of team members attend one of the local kick-offs. Christina and I are planning on heading to New Hampshire, since we'd like to be skiing the week before, but our high school teacher wants to go too. So, theoretically, could Christina and I go to NH, while the teacher goes to the NYC Regional Kick Off?

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-13-2001, 10:36 PM
Half the JVN,All theTaste
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 1998
Pamela has a spectacular aura aboutPamela has a spectacular aura aboutPamela has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Pamela
Talking Volunteering

Hey is anyone else volunteering at the NH kickoff? I'll be there, it was lotsa fun last year so I can't wait!
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2001, 04:48 AM
Dare to Live!

Wink volunteering at kickoff...

Since I decided I HAVE to go to the New Hampshire kick off again... I will be going either as a volunteer or team rep.

So my question is, how can I request to become a team rep? I am sure I can't just show up and tell them, "Hey, I want to volunteer for this!" I suppose I don't really care what job they are going to assign me with, since it will be fun no matter what.

No matter what happen, I am sure I will be hanging out with the other volunteers a lot this time

Looking forward to see you all at kick off. Except people don't recognize me without red hair... hmm... maybe a giant name tag will work...

Oh yeah, I never quite found out who's volunteering this year...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: