Go to Post Dean's "All Denim" (now referred to as "Deanim") look is apparently catching on. - AndyB [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:33 AM
We Build Robots......and Careers
AKA: Warthog
FRC #1501 (Team T.H.R.U.S.T.)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Wayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond repute
How are they going to inspect for a 3" incursion

Anyone know how they are going to determine that the soccer ball goes into your robot 3 inches? The ball is made up of sown together sections so it can vary in depth.
One of our engineers found that a regualtion bowling ball is the same size as the soccer ball. Hmmmmmmmm
2014 STL Regional, #1 seed, Winners with FRC Team 3284 and FRC Team 4500, Also won the Quality Award
2014 GPR #31 seed, Finalist FRC with Team 2641 and FRC Team 4150. Thanks. Also won Quality Award.
2012 BMR #7th seed, Winners Thanks to FRC Team 1756 and FRC Team 4028, UL Safety Award and GM Industrial Design Award

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2010, 12:07 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How are they going to inspect for a 3" incursion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Doenges View Post
One of our engineers found that a regualtion bowling ball is the same size as the soccer ball. Hmmmmmmmm
Ssshhhhhhh! We are not supposed to worry about bowling ball incursion until next year.

-dave

"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Electrical/Programming Mentor
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

This is just my opinion, but it would be easiest to have a standard regulation ball at inspection so the inspectors can check that, on a flat ground just sitting there, a ball can't go more than 3 inches in. Yes, the ball won't be perfectly round, but it should be close enough... If the inspector sees any trouble spots, he can first warn the team, and second warn the refs. Then the refs just need to watch those trouble spots and for any obvious problems (like teams coming over a bump and landing on top of a ball).

It's going to be impossible for a ref to determine on the fly if your robot allows a 3 inch incursion under normal conditions - that determination almost has to be done off the field.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Raptors can't turn doorknobs.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)

Rookie Year: 1999
Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute

Usually they use a jig. I would guess a simple square tube with a 3 inch piece screwed to it. Then they'll slide the bar back and forth to check the areas.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2010, 12:35 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Racer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery View Post
Ssshhhhhhh! We are not supposed to worry about bowling ball incursion until next year.

-dave

aw crap. here we go again....
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #3694 (Warbotz)

Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle33199 View Post
This is just my opinion, but it would be easiest to have a standard regulation ball at inspection so the inspectors can check that, on a flat ground just sitting there, a ball can't go more than 3 inches in. Yes, the ball won't be perfectly round, but it should be close enough... If the inspector sees any trouble spots, he can first warn the team, and second warn the refs. Then the refs just need to watch those trouble spots and for any obvious problems (like teams coming over a bump and landing on top of a ball).

It's going to be impossible for a ref to determine on the fly if your robot allows a 3 inch incursion under normal conditions - that determination almost has to be done off the field.
Off the field becomes tricky. It is not against the rules for a ball to be able to roll more than 3" under your robot, it is only against the rules for a ball to roll 3" under your robot.

And I agree that the best way to do this is to have the inspectors notify the referees of the possibility of the ball rolling 3" or more under your robot.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. "
- Tennyson, Ulysses

Last edited by Daniel_LaFleur : 02-17-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Unintended posting
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry, the game piece will never be a bowling ball. They are too hard to wear.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #3694 (Warbotz)

Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
Don't worry, the game piece will never be a bowling ball. They are too hard to wear.
You are going to be wearing soccerballs?
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. "
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)

JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_LaFleur View Post
You are going to be wearing soccerballs?
I'm not but I'm sure someone will think of something. I'm sticking with my cool Converse and tie-dye.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2010, 12:53 PM
no team

EricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond reputeEricVanWyk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to EricVanWyk

How "un-round" are soccerballs? Are we arguing over thousandths of an inch? Hundreths? Tenths?
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_LaFleur View Post
Off the field becomes tricky. It is not against the rules for a ball to be able to roll more than 3" under your robot, it is only against the rules for a ball to roll 3" under your robot.

And I agree that the best way to do this is to have the inspectors notify the referees of the possibility of the ball rolling 3" or more under your robot.
My interpretation matches yours. This is not an inspection issue, it is a referee "real time" issue similar to extending outside the max extension in 2008.

I think 148 is going to make a point of demonstrating to head-refs that balls cannot enter our robot more than 3". Education may be the key to avoiding penalties from over-eager flag throwers.

I can only imagine the reaction from our new coach if we get such a penalty...

-John
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2010, 01:01 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Daniel and John, <R19> clearly specifies that the robots must be designed so that the balls cannot go more than 3" inside the frame perimeter during normal operation.

This then becomes an inspection issue, because the inspectors need to check the normal operation parameters for the 3" incursion, whether or not it happens on the field.

I'm thinking that a rig like the inspectors had last year for the bumper/trailer hitch checking would probably do the trick. One side bumper, one side ball. If it catches something, grab a ball from the practice field or the field stash to verify.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
people expediter on Team Kluge
AKA: Jenny Beatty, no relation
no team (they are all my teams)

RoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
I'm not but I'm sure someone will think of something. I'm sticking with my cool Converse and tie-dye.
I'm wearing soccer balls. Well, sort-of. (already posted in cdmedia)
And I've upgraded to glitter Converse this year.
This is How I Work: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2862
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Hardcore Dork
AKA: JCH
FRC #0095 (LRT-UVR Grasshoppers #95)

Rookie Year: 2001
JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious about what the refs are going to do if a ball fence on a robot gets bent or tweaked during competition and lets the ball in, say, 4 inches. They would have a hell of a time seeing that from 30 feet away...

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2010, 01:09 PM
FRC #2826 (Wave Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2001
EricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I can only imagine the reaction from our new coach if we get such a penalty...

-John
New coach??? Who is that going to be???

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: