OCCRA
Go to Post FIRST isn't a competition. It's a learning experience. Share the knowledge, and you'll learn more because there's bound to be someone who sees something about your project that even your own team didn't realize it can do. - CalTran [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Do you like the new seeding system?
Yes, I like this system. 10 3.21%
Yes, I like the system, although it's not perfect. 23 7.37%
I have mixed feelings about it. 42 13.46%
No, I don't like the system, although with a few tweaks it could be fine. 27 8.65%
No, I like the idea of this system, but I don't think it works out in practice. 41 13.14%
No, I don't like this system, period. 169 54.17%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Jno
FRC #0610 (Crescent Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Jonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond reputeJonathan Norris has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jonathan Norris
Re: Do you like the seeding system?

No.
K-Botics Team 2809 Founding Mentor ('09-'11)
Queen's University Mechanical Engineering, Applied Science '11

Crescent Robotics Team 610 Alumni
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2010, 03:28 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

Not to put to fine a point on it but:

This system sucks more than our ball possession system.

2012 Boilermaker Engineering Excellence Award
2010 Boilermaker Rockwell Innovation in Control Award.
2009 Buckeye J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2009 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2008 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2007 St Louis Regional Winners
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2010, 03:36 PM
AKA: Jeff
FRC #0862 (Lightning Robotics)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2009
Wildcat is a jewel in the roughWildcat is a jewel in the roughWildcat is a jewel in the roughWildcat is a jewel in the rough

flat out terrible...
Being a member of the Scouting Team: Priceless

2010 & 2011 Scouting Coordinator
2010 Back-up Driver (2-5)
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2010, 03:39 PM
I hope the watchdog starves!
AKA: Pathogen David
FRC #2410 (The Metal Mustangs (Merged from 2334, Hazmat Robotics))
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2008
DtD will become famous soon enoughDtD will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to DtD Send a message via MSN to DtD Send a message via Yahoo to DtD Send a message via Skype™ to DtD

No, the scoring system is completely upside-down. Basically if you loose you win (or tie, depending if the enemy alliance got any penalties), if you win, you loose. The system seems to be there so "everyone wins", but in reality not everyone wins.

I think Koko Ed put it well
Quote:
So basically it's FIRST's version of No Child Left Behind. Because as my wife said if no one gets ahead no one gets left behind.
Also, wasn't the scoring system supposed to be easier to understand this year?

~David
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2010, 03:42 PM
FRC #1261 (Roblions)

Rookie Year: 2007
Tanner is a splendid one to beholdTanner is a splendid one to beholdTanner is a splendid one to beholdTanner is a splendid one to beholdTanner is a splendid one to beholdTanner is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtD View Post
Also, wasn't the scoring system supposed to be easier to understand this year?
The scoring was supposed to be, but they never said anything about the ranking system.

Seems like they switched the "complicated-ness" of the two, for some reason...

-Tanner
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2010, 03:43 PM
AKA: Cameron Parvini
FRC #1538 (The Holy Cows)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2008
HashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond reputeHashemReza has a reputation beyond repute

*sigh*

The system makes my job as a strategy guy very difficult, because as much as I want to tell my coach and drivers to score score score with the robot that we spent SO MUCH TIME trying to make into something which could SCORE A LOT (generally the point of a game), I cannot. I understood g-14 last year, to an extent. I think this system is this year's g-14, as it is counter-intuitive, but worse in the sense that it is also easily manipulated. I've seen teams with losing records in picking positions this year, is that alright? Is that acceptable? Should alliances be chosen by those whose robot is less effective? If you would like a perfect, specific example: team 1717 D'Penguineers have designed an amazing robot this year. It hangs quickly, effectively, and they can score a goal from any zone at a whim. They were 41st going into friday, and after 1 match, jumped to around 12th. Something about that doesn't seem right. They shouldn't have been that low, as they did amazing during the matches, but even so they were able to jump 29 places in one round...

Something seems off. I, personally, don't enjoy it. I like the idea of a ranking system as opposed to wins and losses, but it requires some major tweaking to meet it's original goals of rewarding tough competition.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2010, 03:43 PM
FRC #1727 (REX)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2001
Bruneau1727 is on a distinguished road

At first I did not like the seeding system at all, but I am now coming around! The system rewards a high scoring robot. At DC there were 9 qualification matches and the for the most part the best scoring robots were seeded highly. Yes you can force the seeding higher through agreeing to score all the balls in one goal and all get the winnig alliance score but the best way to get a high seeding is to play the game. Scoring a lot and winning against a tough alliance will get you far more seeding points. And yes it does discourage defense during qualification rounds.

I am really curious about one thing though! Are there teams that start the build season with a wholly defensive strategy in mind?
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySam View Post
Not to put to fine a point on it but:

This system sucks more than our ball possession system.
Brilliantly stated.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Student at Kettering University
AKA: Kimberly
FRC #0068 (Truck Town Thunder)

Kimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Kimmeh

In addition, Michigan teams have their own state ranking to keep in mind where a win is two points and a tie is one. Then there are various points for being chosen for eliminations and awards. For the teams that didn't win an event or one of three awards, they need these points to qualify for the State Championship. IMO teams need high scoring, penalty-free matches that are only a point or two apart.* After watching Kettering, I didn't see too many of those. Hopefully we'll see more matches like this as competitions progress.

*I think this is where the coopertition comes in. If this were to happen, it should balance out the ranking system as well.

FiM update #3 Page 7 has the section on point values for Michigan ranking.

I like the general concept as it encourages close matches, but over all, I don't like the new system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruneau1727 View Post
I am really curious about one thing though! Are there teams that start the build season with a wholly defensive strategy in mind?
Yes. One of the rookie teams we mentor this year did. They were formed right before kickoff, and were still recruiting students during the first week of build! They went to their first competition with two students, the only two they have. Due to lack of time and students, they build a purely defensive robot.
[2009 - 2010] 2604 Metal and Soul| Student | 2010 - Gracious Professionalism Award, UL Industrial Safety Award

Last edited by Kimmeh : 03-07-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Commenting on another post
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2010, 04:20 PM
AKA: Mark
FRC #1986 (Team Titanium)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
sparrowkc is a splendid one to beholdsparrowkc is a splendid one to beholdsparrowkc is a splendid one to beholdsparrowkc is a splendid one to beholdsparrowkc is a splendid one to beholdsparrowkc is a splendid one to beholdsparrowkc is a splendid one to beholdsparrowkc is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down Re: Do you like the seeding system?

See my signature.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2010, 04:45 PM
AKA: Ken YorK
None #0476 (Wildcats)

Rookie Year: 2000
UCGL_Guy is a name known to allUCGL_Guy is a name known to allUCGL_Guy is a name known to allUCGL_Guy is a name known to allUCGL_Guy is a name known to allUCGL_Guy is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to UCGL_Guy

When first rolled out I thought this was the year that we would have a good game to play. Boy was I wrong. Again too many penalties to decide matches and a very convoluted ranking system. Sorry but many more years of these types of games and not sure I'll play

An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.
Will Rogers
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2010, 04:48 PM
DAAP Slapped
AKA: Erin
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2005
elemental is a glorious beacon of lightelemental is a glorious beacon of lightelemental is a glorious beacon of lightelemental is a glorious beacon of lightelemental is a glorious beacon of lightelemental is a glorious beacon of light

After coming back from Peachtree, I can say the system has a lot of bugs in it.
Reviewing scouting sheets that my team compiled, at least one robot in the top 10 was dead for more than half the rounds it entered. Although the finals turned out to be extremely well played and exciting, I was disappointed to see some of, in my opinion, the best teams in the regional ranked 25 and below. At one point, my team with at least 3 wins was ranked behind a team that had no wins.
Why would there be a system that punished teams who could play the game well and rewarded others that could not?
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2010, 04:54 PM
<-- Safety first!
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2006
s_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. The more thought I put into it, the more I like it.

2006-2010: NERDS..........1726
2010: Turbulence............3194
2011-?: Falcon Robotics...842

Check out "Babs" the underwater robot --- and some neat robot videos
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Hodge1
FRC #0175 (BuzzRobotics)

Rookie Year: 1996
Teched3 has much to be proud ofTeched3 has much to be proud ofTeched3 has much to be proud ofTeched3 has much to be proud ofTeched3 has much to be proud ofTeched3 has much to be proud ofTeched3 has much to be proud ofTeched3 has much to be proud ofTeched3 has much to be proud of
Unhappy Re: Do you like the seeding system?

Rewarding incompetence! Just like the bank CEO's who got bonuses for not doing their job!
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2010, 05:06 PM
FRC #0935 (RaileRobotics)

mariak37 is an unknown quantity at this point

It makes it easy to play the game backwards: park two robots in front of your own goals and have the last score points for the other team. Or else play 6 robots against zero (there's coopertition for you.)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: