Go to Post Redfoo is actually a really awesome guy. He discussed the future of engineering and talked about C programming with our software team. - SM987 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2010, 07:26 AM
no team

TheFish is a jewel in the roughTheFish is a jewel in the roughTheFish is a jewel in the rough
Best 2010 Lifter

So I'm just getting into Robotics and don't really know who to look for as far as teams goes.

What have you guys seen from Week 1 on the best lifting team? (I'm going to post another question about scoring/kicking so let's keep this thread just to the end-game.

Thanks,
TheFish
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Programming Mentor
AKA: Jeff Beltramo
FRC #1922 (OZ-Ram)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2006
MotorHead is a splendid one to beholdMotorHead is a splendid one to beholdMotorHead is a splendid one to beholdMotorHead is a splendid one to beholdMotorHead is a splendid one to beholdMotorHead is a splendid one to beholdMotorHead is a splendid one to behold
Re: Best 2010 Lifter

Our team went to the finals this weekend with team 78, Air Strike, at the Granite State Regional. They could consistently lift in under 15 seconds. The lift is an arm that deploys and grabs the vertical pole. A powered wheel then rotates and 'climbs' up the pole. I believe there is some video already around on CD showing it.

Simply a thing of beauty to watch it operate.
Team #1922
Concord, New Hampshire

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Lucky #7
AKA: Jeff Gier
FRC #2410 (Metal Mustang Robotics) #159 (Alpine Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
Jeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant futureJeffy has a brilliant future

525 could consistantly hang. Along with 1982 and 1825.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2010, 08:26 AM
FF - Team 2
AKA: Nicholas
FRC #0313
Team Role: Mentor

nikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant future

From watching on webcasts on Friday and watching the Kettering district regional live, I have come up with a good list of lifters that were consistant, yet quick.

78- I do agree with the previous post, they have a very effective hanger and it's easy to pull off.

525- watching the KC regional was exciting, but when these guys played you waited for the last 20 secs to come. They sit right on the bump and take hold on the top bar, and there off. Most times to make the full lift I took about 10-12 secs. The only problem is they have to get on the bump, I forsee teams trying to push them off or try to block the bump in the future.

2337- The enginerds always have something out of the box on there robot, since there rookie year. This year they have the coolest looking chin-up robot I've seen. They have a huge system that sits on top of the base and it kicks up after they set-up under the bar. It's vey effective, as if only of the two hooks grabs hold it stills gets two points for there alliance. I believe in the 8 matches I watched them play on Saturday, they hung for 2 points 7 times.

27/33-My favorite two hangers are very similar and twice they hung in the same match making it very fun to watch. The easiest way to describe these lifters is to say that, they are close to the likes of what 217/148 had. Both lighting quick and sometimes both lifted up, in under 10 secs. Yet the bees (33) took it one step further by having message written on the bottom of the robot for the crowd to see after they hung themselves. Whether it being "Bee happy!" or "Finals baby!" both these robots have almost perfected the art and probably will continue to do it every match.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

FLR had so many good ones but I think the one that really stood out were 1551 (check out the video from YNN who could hang consistently and fast every match and that ability drove them to the top seed. Team 229 can hang in few seconds. Rookie team 3157 , 1559, 1241 and 1507 were also tremendous hangers.
There were probably a dozen robots at FLR that could hang. We had several matches with multiple robots hanging. As many as three in some matches.
We manage to hang in the last match for the first time right at the end of the match but unfortunate so did 1551 (they would have won anyways even if they didn't make it up).
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

1625's lifter was one of my favorites. A few more seconds and they would have tied match 3, I bet. The actual lifting motion is short, getting in place with defense isn't. (Defense before they touch the tower, of course).

148 and 217 _had_ good systems.

2062, 2079 seem pretty neat.

I want to scrap my team's system for a simpler to control system due to stability issues in favor of tunneling...
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2010, 09:32 AM
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Dave Scheck has a reputation beyond reputeDave Scheck has a reputation beyond reputeDave Scheck has a reputation beyond reputeDave Scheck has a reputation beyond reputeDave Scheck has a reputation beyond reputeDave Scheck has a reputation beyond reputeDave Scheck has a reputation beyond reputeDave Scheck has a reputation beyond reputeDave Scheck has a reputation beyond reputeDave Scheck has a reputation beyond reputeDave Scheck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeairmancurry View Post
27/33-My favorite two hangers are very similar and twice they hung in the same match making it very fun to watch. The easiest way to describe these lifters is to say that, they are close to the likes of what 217/148 had. Both lighting quick and sometimes both lifted up, in under 10 secs. Yet the bees (33) took it one step further by having message written on the bottom of the robot for the crowd to see after they hung themselves. Whether it being "Bee happy!" or "Finals baby!" both these robots have almost perfected the art and probably will continue to do it every match.
I will echo that. I was working on autonomous and the people watching the webcast called over to me and said that I had to check out 27 hanging. I was amazed. It was a great example of how quickly elevation could be accomplished. I stuck around a little longer and watched 33 do something very similar (they were hanging with about 12 seconds left in the match at one point!). The thing that was most impressive was the speed at which both teams went from driving around to hanging. They took the complexity out of lining up and were up in no time. Great job to both 27/33. I can't wait to get a close look at both in Atlanta.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2010, 09:45 AM
6 events this season?
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS) (EWCP)

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeairmancurry View Post
2337- The enginerds always have something out of the box on there robot, since there rookie year. This year they have the coolest looking chin-up robot I've seen. They have a huge system that sits on top of the base and it kicks up after they set-up under the bar. It's vey effective, as if only of the two hooks grabs hold it stills gets two points for there alliance. I believe in the 8 matches I watched them play on Saturday, they hung for 2 points 7 times.
Just a heads up on why it is so large, that thing is designed so that anyone that could normally hang (off the top bar) can hang off of it instead. The robot was designed to facilitate a double suspension.

And, I would like it noted, the upper structure is most definitely inside the box (except in the last 20 seconds). We don't want no penalties!

Planning to top a 4 banner year...
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Needs a taller Driver's Station.
AKA: Dustin Benedict
FRC #0341 (Miss Daisy)

Rookie Year: 2005
thefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to thefro526 Send a message via MSN to thefro526

The best lifter at The New Jersey Regional was 25 without a doubt. Their mechanism was both unique and fast, but I won't go into too much detail here. I believed it was dubbed "The Strong Man Hang" by the announcer at NJ...
Hatboro Horsham District Winners, MAR Championship Winners, Newton Division Finalists.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:12 AM
4 Banners, 6 medals, 1 insane year!
AKA: Brendan Browne, Sensei, Mentuar
FRC #3467 (Windham Windup Robotics) 1519 (Alumni)

Rookie Year: 2003
BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to BrendanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
148 and 217 _had_ good systems.
Are you saying this because you haven't seen them play in an official match? Or did I miss something about a redesign!?!?!

Agree with team 78's beautiful, quick design. I also liked team 151's.

2012 GSR Motorola Quality Award and CT Motorola Quality Award
2012 & 2013 River Rage Champions with 166 & 1519 and 1517 & 2648
2013 PTR 2nd Seed and Champions with 2648 and 2386 + Engineering Excellence Award
2013 CHAMPIONSHIP Judges Award
2013 Battlecry14 Champions with 195 & 663 + Silver Star Award
2014 UNH District Champions with 58 & 4555 + Chairmans Award
2014 Northeastern District Champions with 125 & 5000 + Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 New England District Championship Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 Archimedes Division Champions with 2590, 1625, & 1477
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:14 AM
FF - Team 2
FRC #0313

nikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant future
Red face Re: Best 2010 Lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
Just a heads up on why it is so large, that thing is designed so that anyone that could normally hang (off the top bar) can hang off of it instead. The robot was designed to facilitate a double suspension.

And, I would like it noted, the upper structure is most definitely inside the box (except in the last 20 seconds). We don't want no penalties!
Lol... What I meant by outside the box was, something completely different than most... Kinda like the boot idea from 2008..

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanB View Post
Are you saying this because you haven't seen them play in an official match? Or did I miss something about a redesign!?!?!
Both teams removed their hanging arms and used the weight toward strengthening their drivetrain and lowering their CG.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:16 AM
FF - Team 2
FRC #0313

Lightbulb Re: Best 2010 Lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanB View Post

Agree with team 78's beautiful, quick design. I also liked team 151's.
Both teams decided to do away with the hangers for drivetrain strenght

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:28 AM
FRC #0910

johnr has a reputation beyond reputejohnr has a reputation beyond reputejohnr has a reputation beyond reputejohnr has a reputation beyond reputejohnr has a reputation beyond reputejohnr has a reputation beyond reputejohnr has a reputation beyond reputejohnr has a reputation beyond reputejohnr has a reputation beyond reputejohnr has a reputation beyond reputejohnr has a reputation beyond repute

There is something else about 2337. When they lock on there is this sound. It just sounds-- strong. I was in the pits and just knew it was them. I don't remember, and maybe someone from 2337 could answer this, could a team like 27/33 lock onto you and then you lift or is your structure made out of square tubing?

Last edited by johnr : 03-08-2010 at 10:30 AM.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2010, 11:07 AM
FF - PureMichigan
FRC #2337 (EngiNERDs)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Clinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond reputeClinton Bolinger has a reputation beyond repute

When we go to lock on to the tower we have two pins that are pulled and extend our supports that touch the vertical supports of the tower, that is the first sound you hear. Then our two hooks slam on to the horizontal support and then falls into place. At that point any one that can lift off the horizontal bars of the tower can begin hooking on to us at the same time we lift.

Our structure is made out of 1.5" diameter tube with 0.083" wall thickness, we currently have vertical pole and have talk about having vertical lifter on us. Our only concern is the torque that would be applied to our vertical supports and whether or not it could handle it. With a 24" arm and a 150 lb robot the torque we would see on our vertical supports would be some where around 3600 in*lbs. We are going to test that in a controlled environment before trying it on the field.

I will try to do my best to get some action shot and maybe even some videos posted some time this week.

-Clinton-

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: