Go to Post I love it when there is someone that obviously "gets it". - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2010, 09:07 PM
AKA: Bethany Carlson
FRC #0956 (Eagle Cybertechnology)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2008
Bethie42 is a splendid one to beholdBethie42 is a splendid one to beholdBethie42 is a splendid one to beholdBethie42 is a splendid one to beholdBethie42 is a splendid one to beholdBethie42 is a splendid one to beholdBethie42 is a splendid one to beholdBethie42 is a splendid one to behold
Team media pass at Nationals?

Hi,
I heard a rumor that this year the policy for team media passes at Championships has changed, that you had to sign up in advance, as opposed to previous years when (I have heard) each team automatically gets a pass with their sign-in packet.

I will be recording our team's matches with a large video camera on loan from our local community-access TV station, and really really hope I can be down on the floor with the camera and tripod and all...

Also, to clarify, if you have a media pass you are allowed on the floor during matches, so long as you aren't interfering with the referees and such?

Thank you!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2010, 09:18 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team media pass at Nationals?

Haven't heard a thing about that rumor. In the past anyone on the team could use the pass.

There is a media area setup for this purpose on the floor. I don't know about positioning a large camera because the area is limited. You may have negotiate with other teams.

2012 Boilermaker Engineering Excellence Award
2010 Boilermaker Rockwell Innovation in Control Award.
2009 Buckeye J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2009 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2008 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2007 St Louis Regional Winners
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-30-2010, 08:15 AM
AKA: Chris Sherwood
FRC #2996 (Cougars Gone Wired)

Zholl is a splendid one to beholdZholl is a splendid one to beholdZholl is a splendid one to beholdZholl is a splendid one to beholdZholl is a splendid one to beholdZholl is a splendid one to beholdZholl is a splendid one to beholdZholl is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to Zholl

Quote:
Also, to clarify, if you have a media pass you are allowed on the floor during matches, so long as you aren't interfering with the referees and such?
I believe you can only be on the field during your own team's matches as well, at least that's how it's been in my experience. Otherwise, as long as you're out of everyone's way, you should be fine, though I would have to agree with Sam about positioning your camera and tripod. Depending on the situation, it can get a little awkward with just a handheld SLR
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Needs a taller Driver's Station.
AKA: Dustin Benedict
FRC #0341 (Miss Daisy)

Rookie Year: 2005
thefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to thefro526 Send a message via MSN to thefro526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethie42 View Post
Hi,
I heard a rumor that this year the policy for team media passes at Championships has changed, that you had to sign up in advance, as opposed to previous years when (I have heard) each team automatically gets a pass with their sign-in packet.

I will be recording our team's matches with a large video camera on loan from our local community-access TV station, and really really hope I can be down on the floor with the camera and tripod and all...

Thank you!
As far as I know and have heard, each team will have access to one media pass, and then outside media outlets can apply for a media pass of their own.

The person wearing the media pass is granted field access and I've seen camera people stand in the driver's station before to get shots... I wouldn't recommend getting that close though. A good rule of thumb though, is to ask how close you can get during a match before you get too close.
Hatboro Horsham District Winners, MAR Championship Winners, Newton Division Finalists.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:44 AM

Bethie42 is a splendid one to beholdBethie42 is a splendid one to beholdBethie42 is a splendid one to beholdBethie42 is a splendid one to beholdBethie42 is a splendid one to beholdBethie42 is a splendid one to beholdBethie42 is a splendid one to beholdBethie42 is a splendid one to behold

Alright, thank you everyone! Looks like it was just one of those rumors that float around every robotics lab

Thanks for the tips too...I'm planning on staying with our robot and drive team most of the time except when we're on the field, and occasionally might film from the stands, but I'm guessing it is going to be pretty hard to get from the pit to the stands, what with the long walk and toting the tripod...

Oh yes: I assume it would be possible for me to stay with the drive team as they are going out on the field? Having only experienced the Autodesk Oregon regional for the past few years, I'd think it would be possible...unless at Championships the hallways are even more packed (which I'm prepared for).
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Needs a taller Driver's Station.
AKA: Dustin Benedict
FRC #0341 (Miss Daisy)

Rookie Year: 2005
thefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to thefro526 Send a message via MSN to thefro526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethie42 View Post

Oh yes: I assume it would be possible for me to stay with the drive team as they are going out on the field? Having only experienced the Autodesk Oregon regional for the past few years, I'd think it would be possible...unless at Championships the hallways are even more packed (which I'm prepared for).
There is more than enough room for you to walk from the pits with your team but, depending on the size and weight of your equipment you may want to figure out a way to do this as few times as possible because the walk can be a bit long...
Hatboro Horsham District Winners, MAR Championship Winners, Newton Division Finalists.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:36 AM
FRC #0084 (Chuck 84)

Rookie Year: 1997
JudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud of

I believe team photographers are only allowed on the side of the field away from the scoring table during their team's matches. In years past, each team was given one pass and could request and sign for a second one.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-30-2010, 02:35 PM
AKA: John Christiansen
FRC #1732 (Hilltoppers)

Rookie Year: 2006
XaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XaulZan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyVandy View Post
I believe team photographers are only allowed on the side of the field away from the scoring table during their team's matches. .
Correct. Check out page 6: http://www.usfirst.org/uploadedFiles...nformation.pdf
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2010, 05:32 PM

Zholl is a splendid one to beholdZholl is a splendid one to beholdZholl is a splendid one to beholdZholl is a splendid one to beholdZholl is a splendid one to beholdZholl is a splendid one to beholdZholl is a splendid one to beholdZholl is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
There is more than enough room for you to walk from the pits with your team but, depending on the size and weight of your equipment you may want to figure out a way to do this as few times as possible because the walk can be a bit long...
I agree. Could you maybe give us a bit more info on what you're packing? Someone might have some suggestions for carrying your gear around, but it'd certainly be easier if we had a better idea of how big your gear is
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:55 PM

Well! I just talked to the TV station manager who is supplying the camera, and it turns out it will Not be the Sony Handycam [the pro edition...10 lbs. or so] but instead a much smaller HD camera, which is the size of a regular camcorder. The tripod also is only about two feet long when folded up.

This is a huge relief for me, I was thinking I would have to do some endurance training for the famous Long Walk from pits to field, hehe.

Thank you all!
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2010, 11:34 PM

good to hear! you aught to be set, though if there isn't a bag for that tripod, you might want to rig up some kind of strap for it, but that should be as easy as rigging a couple of nylon webbing straps to a leg
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Parent and Volunteer
AKA: Richard Singletary
FRC #0548

ExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant future

I can't speak for this year but last year media passes were generally allowed to travel the tunnels with their team but are separated from them as they get close to being on deck or the match before. At that time you need to move to the edge of the stadium, nearest the seating, for their match and film from there. It's really not a bad filming area.

2010 REFEREE: Kettering, Ann Arbor, Wayne State, Troy, MI Championship, Atlanta-Newton field, IGVC TARDEC, MARC and upcoming KETTERING Kickoff.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTexan View Post
I can't speak for this year but last year media passes were generally allowed to travel the tunnels with their team but are separated from them as they get close to being on deck or the match before. At that time you need to move to the edge of the stadium, nearest the seating, for their match and film from there. It's really not a bad filming area.
that sounds about right, though I don't remember having to step away from the drive team until they actually went to place the robot on the field. I'm not sure if I'm just misunderstanding you or if it was maybe enforced a little differently between the fields
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Parent and Volunteer
AKA: Richard Singletary
FRC #0548

ExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant futureExTexan has a brilliant future

Quote:
though I don't remember having to step away from the drive team until they actually went to place the robot on the field.
I'm sure it is enforced differently from time to time and place to place. The intent of that rule is to discourage teams from giving media passes to "coaches/mentors" who stay with the team until the last minute, participate in the strategy sessions with the alliances, and generally turn their 4 person drive team into a 5 person drive team which is unfair to those that don't.

I have asked many people with media passes where their cameras are. I do understand the desire and usually "no harm done" by the extra student hanging around but I try to enforce it fairly for all.

2010 REFEREE: Kettering, Ann Arbor, Wayne State, Troy, MI Championship, Atlanta-Newton field, IGVC TARDEC, MARC and upcoming KETTERING Kickoff.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTexan View Post
I'm sure it is enforced differently from time to time and place to place. The intent of that rule is to discourage teams from giving media passes to "coaches/mentors" who stay with the team until the last minute, participate in the strategy sessions with the alliances, and generally turn their 4 person drive team into a 5 person drive team which is unfair to those that don't.

I have asked many people with media passes where their cameras are. I do understand the desire and usually "no harm done" by the extra student hanging around but I try to enforce it fairly for all.
makes sense. I don't personally remember having issues with it, but then again what am I there for except to catch anything the drivers do that's interesting? and I will admit I'm guilty of trying to listen in on the strategy meetings
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: