Go to Post In the long run, you don't remember your ranking points, you remember the lessons and friendships from when you were on a robotics team in high school. - smurfgirl [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2010, 01:23 AM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
Help me get set up on a Windows Mobile Phone

So, I'm taking the leap into the world of smart phones with a Windows Mobile phone. I will pick it up tomorrow. It has 3G and GPS, and I got an 8 gig card for it. I'm not terribly familiar in all the best applications and everything. I want to make the most use of this device that I can, so, I'm turning to CD for recommendations. It currently has Windows Mobile 6.1, but I can upgrade to 6.5 (I'm assuming this is a good idea?). So, what applications should I have? Anything FRC specific that would be handy on this thing? To start, I of course want Google Maps on there, but is there anything that will give me turn by turn voice navigation for free? Anything free that will make the phone a wifi router? I'm assuming some setting in the phone can let me tether it? Better browsers, media players? I want to take my .wtv recordings from Windows 7 and watch them on the phone. Any tips on what to use to convert them? Also, I need all the good unit conversions and stuff, and Acrobat reader. Hopefully someone here with a Windows Mobile phone can help me figure out all what I need to do to this thing. Thanks.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Support Team 696 on DonorsChoose!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2010, 02:05 AM
i.am.INSPIRED!
AKA: Mr. Lim
FRC #0610 (Crescent Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Mr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help me get set up on a Windows Mobile Phone

Sanddrag, I own a Samsung BlackJack II.

It's a bit older, but it's been a real workhorse for me.

I use Garmin Mobile XT on it - personally I think it's the best mobile phone GPS app out there. It's inexpensive, is a one-time cost, and works just as well as any automobile GPS out there. I love it to bits.

Beyond that, I primarily text, e-mail, manage contacts, take notes, take photos and movies, browse, and of course make phone calls on it.

I use One-Note to jot down important information, and it syncs with my laptop nicely.

I manage my contacts through Outlook, which also integrates nicely.

It's possible to tether to my laptop via USB, but I don't really ever do that. No 3rd party apps required, you can do it right from Windows Mobile under Internet Sharing.

But beyond that I don't keep a lot of 3rd party apps on it. With a newer phone with a big screen, you may want to install CorePlayer on it. It's a nice media player that's kind of like VLC for your phone.

Honestly, I tried Opera Mini, Opera Mobile AND Skyfire, and I ended up just sticking with IE as my mobile browser.

I have a 4gig miniSD, and it houses GPS maps for a good chunk of Canada and the US in and around Toronto. Once you get a good collection of contacts, texts, e-mails, attachments, calendar items, etc... the rest of the space gets filled up with photos and movies I record every so often.

When I first got it, I tried to load every possible "cool" app I could find, but the more I did that, the more I realized I just needed the core apps, and to spend my time to use them well.

In life, what you give, you keep. What you fail to give, you lose forever...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: