OCCRA
Go to Post Wait, we have to be logical? - JaneYoung [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2010, 05:10 AM
Team 2175 Founder
AKA: Kevin O'Connor
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2007
Vikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Vikesrock Send a message via MSN to Vikesrock Send a message via Yahoo to Vikesrock
The Hardest Part

This is a post I just made to my teams Google group and I thought some people here may get something out of it, so I decided to share it.
Quote:
I know I posted something like this already in Stevenís thread after the competition, but after talking about this and using that to hash out my thoughts, I decided to post this here.

Sitting in the stands during the alliance selections, I looked around after we werenít selected and I saw disappointment. And I was proud. I was proud that all of you cared enough to be disappointed that we were not selected. But I knew that the real test would come later.

Then after lunch, I looked around during the eliminations and I saw everyone cheering and enjoying the matches and rooting for our friends on 171. And I was proud. I was proud that the disappointment didnít linger, that everyone was able to still enjoy the event.

During the awards, I saw our team was also one of the first to stand and the most enthusiastic in applauding the other teams as they won their awards. And I was proud. I was proud that despite our lack of success, all of you were still celebrating the success of others.

One of the last awards announced was the Deanís List Award. One of the winnerís announced was our co-captain, Aren. And I was proud. I was proud that the hard work put in by one of our members was recognized outside our team. I was also proud of the way the team celebrated this award despite it being an individual award.

After the event I went out to get something to eat with Alex and we talked for quite a while about the team, the weekend and the event. And as I was walking back to my apartment, I realized something. I was proud. I was proud of the graduated Fighting Calculators that were giving back, not only as mentors of our team, but as event volunteers and members of the GO FIRST alumni group here at the U of M.
Then when I got home, my inbox was full with the thread that Steven started about how the team needed to work harder. And I was proud. I was proud that there was no whining, no finger pointing and no complaining. I was proud that there was drive, passion, and a desire to work harder to try and avoid the same disappointment next year.

And as I thought about how proud I was to be a member of this team, I thought of something else; I figured out what the hardest part of FRC is. Unfortunately the hardest part is also the whole point, itís why Dean started FIRST. The hardest part is to make everybody proud. I hope youíre already proud of what you accomplished. Your parents, siblings and grandparents are easy, if theyíre not already proud all you have to do is share your stories and they will be. After that it gets harder. We need to make the whole school proud, we need to make all of Woodbury proud and we need to make all of Minnesota proud. We spent 6 weeks building a robot, another 5 weeks working on various parts of it and 3 days competing with it and our final record was 3-6. Now we have to convince 5.25 million people to be proud of that, and thatís the hardest part.

Iím proud, and Iíll always be a Fighting Calculator. Thatís 1.

2007 Wisconsin Regional Highest Rookie Seed & Regional Finalists (Thanks 930 & 2039)
2008 MN Regional Semifinalists (Thanks 2472 & 1756)
2009 Northstar Regional Semifinalists (Thanks 171 & 525)
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2010, 09:30 AM
The GURU Channel
AKA: Richard Sisk
FRC #2493 (Robokong)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
rsisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to rsisk
Re: The Hardest Part

Bowing down to your great wisdom......

Well said Vikesrock.

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Software Engineer
AKA: Addi's and Georgie's Dad
FRC #1629 (GaCo)
Team Role: Parent

Rookie Year: 2008
gvarndell has a reputation beyond reputegvarndell has a reputation beyond reputegvarndell has a reputation beyond reputegvarndell has a reputation beyond reputegvarndell has a reputation beyond reputegvarndell has a reputation beyond reputegvarndell has a reputation beyond reputegvarndell has a reputation beyond reputegvarndell has a reputation beyond reputegvarndell has a reputation beyond reputegvarndell has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikesrock View Post
This is a post I just made to my teams Google group and I thought some people here may get something out of it, so I decided to share it.
This is great, well said!
Having recently witnessed a little moping after some hard-to-accept losses, I would say timely too.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Alot of teams should take this to heart this weekend considering only 96 of the 344 teams get to play in the elims. There's going to be alot of disappointed kids in the stands on Saturday afternoon but that's no reason to be any less proud of what you accomplished.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

There is great joy and celebration in finding the hardest part - as an individual and as a team. It can be as elusive as a simple solution to a design problem or as difficult as finding the balance between influencing a discussion and dominating one.

That you have found the hardest part shows great wisdom. You have to dig deep to find it and you did. It's the mother lode.

Well done. Thank you for sharing with us,
Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 04-14-2010 at 10:29 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: